Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What does brace height do for you??

Old 05-13-2003, 07:48 PM
voz
Fork Horn

Default What does brace height do for you??

Wanted to know what brace height does for shooting.....is a larger brace height better.....or a smaller one? Thanks for the info.
Old 05-13-2003, 07:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What does brace height do for you??

a bow with a short brace heighth is faster than one with a longer BH
Old 05-13-2003, 08:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

In general they are faster as the brace goes down but get more forgiving and easier to shoot as the brace goes up.The thing is trying to get the right compromise between speed and shootability.

If you are asking this question I would assume that you may want something at above 7" .

I would like to add that their is a thing called reflex and imo is just as important.Reflex is the amount that a bow curves back toward the shooter.If this is above 1.5,then the shootability goes down.IMO.

Deflex is just the opposite.Is is the amount the bow curves away from the shooter.This is very forgiving but is much slower.

I reccomend deflex for long draw shooter(over 30" ) and reflex for short draw(under 30) shooters.If you have a real short draw(27" or under) you can get buy with a bow that is more critical because the power stroke is shorter.

Hope this helps and doesn' t confuse.
Old 05-14-2003, 06:24 AM

The shorter the brace height the longer the arrow is on the string.
Old 05-14-2003, 06:55 AM

Brace height is over rated !! Form is the key !!
Old 05-14-2003, 06:58 AM

The most important factor of a longer brace height for me is that I can clear my jacket when shooting. The short brace heights have a habit of grabbing clothing.
Old 05-14-2003, 07:07 AM

What TFOX and CBM SC said!!

Most want and tell others to use the largest BH because they have form that will not allow them to shoot otherwise.
Old 05-14-2003, 08:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

T Fox made perfect sence to me
Old 05-14-2003, 08:30 AM
Boone & Crockett

Just to add a bit more....brace height or fistmele is half of what determines the power stroke of any given bow. The other half is determined by your draw length. The bow' s power stroke, as the name implies, is the distance that the arrow remains on the string from the moment the archer releases the string from their hand up until the arrow nock actually separates from the string. The longer the power stroke (due to a short brace height or long draw length) then the faster the bow will be...all else being equal. Also, the longer the power stroke then the more of a chance that any errors in your shooting form will impact the accuracy of your shots.

Hope this helps.
Old 05-14-2003, 08:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

Len, I' m aghast that you would say something like that! Shooting deflex riser and high brace does not mean you have poor form. Shooting high brace and deflex riser does not mean you can' t shoot a low brace, reflex riser bow. Shooting deflex riser and high brace means you choose to shoot such a bow, for a LOT of reasons.

And not being able to shoot a low brace, reflex riser bow well does NOT mean you have some kind of deformity. Not everybody has to be an ' extreme' shooter. A lot of people would shoot better and enjoy it more if they forgot the chronograph and tried a more laid back style of bow.

Quick Reply: What does brace height do for you??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.