Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

need some help writing a paper

Old 05-12-2003, 03:52 PM

Default need some help writing a paper

gotta do a 14page research paper and i chose the evolution of bowhunting i am gonna write about how bowhunting has changed from teh days of sticks and stones to carbon and steel, anyways i was wondering if anybody knew any good sites with info about the following: native american archery equiptment, scent containment, first hunting video/show, fred bear, chuck adams, and just any info about bowhunting would be appreciated thanks
Old 05-12-2003, 04:00 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 05-12-2003, 04:02 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 05-12-2003, 05:27 PM

Default RE: need some help writing a paper

try looking here...dunno if its what your looking for but its a start....

http://www.centenaryarchers.gil.com.au/history.htm
Old 05-12-2003, 06:11 PM
AK

I posted this recently on another forum for someone else looking for history info...

According to the Volume II of The Traditional Bowyer' s Bibles, the earliest bow fragments found were dated back 10,000 yrs ago. Named the Stellmoor bows, outer bow limb fragments were found in a German bog in the 1930' s. Those findings established a " minimum" age.

J.G.D. Clark, however, (Neolithic Bows from Somerset, England, and the prehistory of Archery in Northwestern Europe) believed additional evidence exists to date the origin of archery back 15,000 yrs, while Gad Rausing (The Bow: Some Notes on its Origin and Development) believed the bow may have its origins some 50,000 yrs ago. (from TTB II) I don' t know to what " evidence" they attribute these claims. Perhaps they attribute them to stone point discoveries which of course would survive much longer in the ground than wood, and over nearly any soil condition, but that' s speculation on my part. Careful discretion would have to be used for interpreting what may have been an arrow point and what was just another spear or atl-atl point, however. Regardless, it certainly seems likely that archery would have been active for some time before the date of bow fragments that have been uncovered in modern times.

Archery evolved throughout various cultures based on an intertwined mix of technology, knowledge, available materials, climate, useage, and economy. On technology, for instance; the first bows were undoubtedly crafted entirely from stone tools, then later (at least in part) by bronze and then iron implements.

On knowledge; Various bow designs were produced, adopted, and varied as different cultures encountered each other. Once the apparent realization that a safer, more durable bow could be made by following the bow' s back to one single growth ring, for example, few bows were made afterwards that didn' t follow at least this single trait.

On available materials and climate; early European bows were made from conifers, the dominant tree type at the time. In the far East, composite bows of horn/sinew were developed owing in part to the lack of suitable bow wood. Later, on the North American East, species of hickory, ash, elm, locust, and osage (among others) were preferred. In the West, juniper, cedar, and yew were common and often backed with sinew. It should be noted that selfbacked wooden bows also faired better in wetter climates than sinew backed bows, which were typically limited to drier climates.

On usage; In most cases, " long" bows hold an advantage over shorter bows in accuracy. On horseback, however, long bows become a liability. Hence, we " generally" find longer bows in use where man hunted or fought on foot, and shorter bows in use where he chased down prey or enemy on horseback. The design of the famous English longbow, which won glorious victories in the Hundred Year War, for instance, was probably chosen for various reasons; made " long" to disperse the stress of extremely heavy draw (90-180#) weights, narrow likely for reasons of mass production ecomony (=more bows per tree and faster/easier tillering), and D-sectioned " perhaps" for being safer in heavy weights than flat-sectioned.

Archery in modern times has developed much more rapidly. Fiberglass wasn' t even introduced as a backing material until the 1940' s and now we have cam bows throwing synthetic arrows over 300 fps.

I don' t know where you want to focus, but it would be a shame to brush over wooden / natural material bow history as it comprises well over 99% of the time of archery' s being. You might want to research early bow finds such as Stellmoor, Homelgaard, and Meare Heath; and some names such as Roger Ascham, William & Maurice Thompson, Saxton Pope & Art Young, and Hunt & Metz (to name a few) for info on wood bow/hunting history in the last couple of hundred years. Hope that gives you a start.

http://community.webshots.com/scripts/editPhotos.fcgi?action=showMyPhoto&albumID=6264999 6&photoID=72348943&security=sWmLYo

Old 05-13-2003, 11:44 AM

I can' t help you, but if it is anything like what AK posted, I would like to read it.
Old 05-13-2003, 12:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

Oh brother! I haven' t gone snooping for all that history on the internet, but there are tons of books. Check the library. As far as American bowhunting goes, you' ll certainly find a lot of info if you do searches for Maurice and Will Thompson, Ishi, Saxton Pope and Art Young, Glenn St. Charles, Fred Bear, Howard Hill, Ben Pearson, H. Wilbur Allen and Tom Jennings. They all made substantial contributions to bowhunting.

Also check www.archeryhistory.com
Old 05-13-2003, 03:43 PM
Banned

Try this site, it isnt much, but it might give you some info to get started.

http://www.centenaryarchers.gil.com.au/history.htm
Old 05-14-2003, 11:42 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 05-14-2003, 04:04 PM

Thanks guys any more additional info would still be a big help, but this sure did put a good dent in it, especially AK' s post if i can ill post a copy of my paper when i get done, if you got any more links or anything just email em to me or something