Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Have a Problem!!

Old 08-07-2009, 04:02 AM
Fork Horn

not worth the risk - sounds like a good reason to make a purchase!
Old 08-07-2009, 05:16 AM
Spike

Round-up makes a new Poison Ivy and Heavy brush spray--Suppose to work great!
Old 08-07-2009, 07:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

Sounds like the Christmas Story to me all of these keyboard tough guys "Double Dog daring" you to just go get it, yet I haven't heard any volunteers.

There ain't a stand made thats worth getting covered in poison oak over. If it were me I'd get some of the spray and kill the vines off then I would call Cabalas and order a new stand to put in a poison free tree, then while shed hunting next spring I would retrieve that stand after giving the spray 6 months to do its job.
Old 08-07-2009, 08:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

go to walmart and get the concentrate version of the new Ortho Bruch Killer. i bought it this year and it will kill it in about a week.

If ya need i would get it myself but its probably a little far of a drive.

I had a tree that i had to have a stand in. it was just to perfect. i sucked it up put on a longsleeve shirt and gloves and jeans and boots and went to town tearing it out.
as long as your not allergic to it you should be ok. if you do get it really bad you can go to the doctor and get a shot that will clear it up fast.

Tha main thing is as soon as you get done is to take a shower and scrub your entire body down very well. what we get is a reaction to the oil on the leaves themselves. so as long as you get it washed off quick enough you should be able to minimize the chances of getting it.
Old 08-07-2009, 08:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

I got some poison oak this past week while weed eating...it had been sprayed and I was told by an "expert" that it had been long enough to have died and that I was safe to take it out. LESSON LEARNED. It started just on my hands, but as my hands have touched "other areas" it has spread. Thankfully, it is only a minor case...I have had it worse, but never in worse places.
Old 08-07-2009, 09:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have to deal with this every year lol! TFOX's idea was what usually happens for me. Also, it is easier to cut it from the bottom, and pull it down like forementioned.

The BEST thing to do is find someone you know isnt allergic to it and let them do all the work haha. Thats the safest way imo.
Old 08-07-2009, 09:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

and the easiest drock
Old 08-07-2009, 12:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just because poison ivy is "dead" does not mean the urisol (sp?)oil is gone.. I have gotten poison ivy in the dead of winter.
Old 08-07-2009, 12:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bowmanaj
Just because poison ivy is "dead" does not mean the urisol (sp?)oil is gone.. I have gotten poison ivy in the dead of winter.
Its urushiol I believe. Just the fun fact for today

However its pronounced or spelled, I hate it with everything i have lol!
Old 08-07-2009, 12:27 PM
Typical Buck

The HD roundup they sell at Lowe's will kill it. It'll be brown and dead inside of a week. I sprayed quite a bit of poison ivy, here, a few weeks ago.
That's gospel to me ! I wouldn't screw with it otherwise. Been there, done that!

Yep. The oil can still be found 3-5 years after a plant has been killed. It's just a lot easier to deal with and remove dead. I use my lopers, cut it in sections, then pull the sections off with the lopers. I never touch it.

Last edited by valor10; 08-07-2009 at 01:13 PM. Reason: added info