Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

? about 3D shoots

Old 05-11-2003, 02:23 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default ? about 3D shoots

Why is it that in 3D shoots everyone seems to be using their target bows instead of their hunting bows. To me this seems to kind of defeat the purpose of a 3D shoot. I mean you are shooting at " animals" instead of spots why not use your hunting bow for this? You don' t take all of that gadgetry out into the field with you why would someone practice with it shooting 3D?
Old 05-11-2003, 02:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: ? about 3D shoots

Why is it that in 3D shoots everyone seems to be using their target bows instead of their hunting bows.
Because they' ve turned 3D into a hardcore target match now instead of being a fun way to practice with your hunting bow. I guarantee you, you' re far from being the only one that disapproves.
Old 05-11-2003, 05:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

This isn' t meant to sound confrontational, but why do you care what other people are doing?
If someone wants to go to all the local 3D shoots with their hunting bow and shoot for fun that' s up to the individual to decide. Just go and shoot and have fun, keep track of " Kills" or whatever.
Some other guys like myself treat it as a GAME.......anything where you have the ability to keep score is gonna get competitive. Just like the majority of shooters aren' t going to take their 70# hunting bows to Vegas, for the majority of shooters a pure target set-up is going to be an advantage for the utmost in accuracy on the 3D course..
It ISN' T hunting, so all of that gadgetry is fine for a walk thru the woods....
It gives all of us who still posess a competitive nature something to do on a Sunday afternoon other than throw couch pillows at the TV when the referee blows a call.[:@]

I shoot for score, but I can GUARANTEE you that just because I' m shooting a shiny bow and arrows I wouldn' t hunt with, doesn' t mean I' m not getting better at the skills required to shoot a live animal the same as the guy who is shooting his hunting set-up. I think the added pressure of competition, at least for me, increases my desire to be EXACT in yardage estimation and shooting skills rather than just " That' s a kill" and being happy regardless of the arrow being low in the heart area or the very top of the lung area.......... and that pays big dividends come October.
Shootin' skills is shootin' skills........
I DO understand what you are saying.....but it is a game with scoring rings and score cards. And as a game, it will be treated just like any other where the participants who want to have the highest scores will use the gear that they feel will give them an edge.

........and anyway, when was the last time you were hunting bears, hyenas, leopards, coyotes and mountain goats all on the same day and from the GROUND? I can see it now.......Michael Jackson' s " Neverland Ranch Outfitters" .
Old 05-11-2003, 05:08 PM
Fork Horn

What if they don' t hunt and all they have are target bows?
Old 05-11-2003, 06:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

There are alot of people that shoot 3-d and have never hunted at all.I know a guy that shoots and has been winning money in the mens unlimited and open classes in the ASA now for 3 years and has only been hunting for 2 years.That means he was shooting a good while before ever hunting.

Who says that someone that shoots for score and money isn' t having fun?Some people just love competing.Others could care less.To each their own.

I am also in agreemant with Matt on every point.I will take my hunting rig out a couple times before season and believe it or not.The scores don' t drop off much if any.Of course I am shooting from the unlimited stake and not the open stake.Doesn' t make me much different because I have shot the pro stakes with a quiver hanging off the side of my bow and a 6" stabilizer.

Don' t fool yourself into thinking it is easier to shoot all the gadgetry.#1 we shoot much more distance.#2 we have to be able to judge yardage down to the gnats but.There is no gapping the pins with a slide bar and a scope.#3 we are putting a higher emphasis on accuracy.A hunter may be happy with an 8 or 10 but I am wanting a 12.If I don' t get it it doesn' t mean I' m not having fun.Are you not having fun if you get a 5.maybe for a second but you get over it pretty quickly and move on to the next target.

Don' t take any of these comparisons the wrong way.I am not saying that people that don' t shoot the gadgetry can' t shoot.Quite the contrary.We are just wanting more from it than just a hunting practice session.We get that too,along with much more.

It is fun to go out from time to time and make a party out of it but it is fun to take the competition serious too.
Old 05-11-2003, 06:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

Arthur,Why would someone disaprove of what SOMEONE ELSE decides to shoot.If they don' t want to shoot the stuff then fine.Their perogative just like it is our perogative to shoot gadgetry.

I don' t get upset when I see someone using traditional or pins when shooting 3-d.
The old saying,mind your own buisness and you won' t be minding mine applies here. [:-]
Old 05-11-2003, 07:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

TFOX. You shouldn' t ask questions of me that you might not want to hear the answer to.
Old 05-11-2003, 07:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

Why not?You made the statement.Has someone done something to you personally that would give you a sour taste in your mouth.

It' s not like anyone is getting hurt.Shure,there may be some marketing scams and money being made but that is no different than any other aspect of life.

Old 05-11-2003, 07:52 PM
Typical Buck

Different strokes for different folks I guess. I lean a little closer to Big Bulls opinion but like the others said, I only care that I am practicing at getting better with the equipment I hunt with. I shoot my Mathews Legacy set currently at 55 pounds. I use my fiber optic VBG trapper three pin sight, a TruFire release and a 2" Doinker stabilizer. Oh, and Carbon Express Terminator carbon arrows. And I generally hit what I aim at.
Old 05-11-2003, 07:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

Oh yeah,I just remembered.I have a friend that shot a 180 class buck 2 years ago with the same slide bar and scope that he uses for 3-d.So some people do use some of the gadgetry to hunt with.

Quick Reply: ? about 3D shoots

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.