Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

? about 3D shoots

Old 05-13-2003, 07:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: ? about 3D shoots

TFOX, Iknow I might draw some slack for the # 2 comment from some, but not from Arthur P. He is an old sharpshooter from way back, and knows the deal when it comes to tack driving accuracy.

I feel certain his gripe comes from the conflicts, and loss of shooters at club shoots due to the open class shooters.

I am an open class shooter, and I CANNOT dispute those thoughts.

Heck, there are some open shooters that make me mad too! Funny thing is, the majority of open shooters who are obnoxious and rude, are not that good anyhow.

Arthur P has very valid points and so do you. I bet if we all lived in the same neck of the woods, we would all be shooting buddies.

At least I would hope so. I don`t need any guy who has a 34" draw mad at me!
Old 05-13-2003, 08:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

You said a mouthful.The ones that are obnoxious aren' t that good anyway.TRUE!!!

What I find interesting is that when you go to some of the major 3-d shoots like the ASA proams is that the best pros are wonderful people and are very helpful.The ones that are just paying entry fees for the prestige are jerks.There are more of the good ones than the bad ones though.I have met and shot with many of them and haven' t shot with a jerk yet.The ones that are the jerks usually won' t show up for the proams and help others.I have had a few run ins with them at the booths.They push there way to the front of the lines and they don' t wait for everyone to quit shooting on the practice range before going and pulling their arrows.But these are a few that are doing this and the whole class is being judged by them.

Also there are times that they are just misunderstood and some need to put themselves in their shoes and try and see it from their point of view.One prime example are the trashy shots.Now for some that shoot 1 weekend a month that isn' t a big deal but if you shoot every weekend,sometimes twice and have to shoot around that stuff at every tourney with $15.00 arrows.You can surely see where the cost could start to add up.It isn' t just about score.Also a light carbon arrow will end up somewhere in the next county and a heavy hunting arrow isn' t going to be nearly as hard to find or as dangerous.Heck I haven' t taken a trophy home in 3 years and have won several.I always donate them back and so do most that I shoot with.

I had one person that shot open equipment and had never won .He tied me for first and they were going to have a shoot off. I forfeited and said he could have the trophy.I don' t need them and it meant much more to him than it did me.He was very happy and didn' t care that there wasn' t a shoot off.There are more people that do this kind of stuff than what is being shared.

What about all those open shooter that are setting up those hunting bows for all their friends,neighbors and coworkers 1 month before hunting season.Heck they knock on my door now and I don' t know half of them.May I add that most don' t even charge.They just love doing it.
Old 05-14-2003, 07:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

And, as soon as someone comes to our club and wants to do what I have been doing for the last 15 years, they can have at it.
AMEN TO THAT, Big Country! I' d kinda like to see what it' s like for a change, to be just a regular ol' club member. I' ve been trying to get them to fire me for years, but they won' t do it.

#1 is right on the money. There is some extra time involved in setting the sights. But that' s ALL the extra time it should take! And for the good ones, that' s all the extra time it does take. I' ve shot behind pros, several times. In every case, our group of bowhunters was almost hard pressed to keep up with them. IMO, the guys that take so long really don' t know what they' re doing, they have no confidence in their shooting and, more than aything else, they' re trying hard to keep from missing while putting on an act for the unwashed masses of the ' lower classes' stacked up behind them.

As for #2.... I guess some guys might be awed by the open shooters but you' re right. I' m not easily impressed. They' re shooting specialized rigs, I' m shooting either a stickbow or barebow compound. And they don' t shoot that much better than I do, when I' ve got my wheelbow in my hand. My longbow scores are a bit lower. A good bit.

Anyway, if you polled here, the answer will be ' I' m %$@ tired of standing around and waiting.' In fact, that won' t be the #1 answer, it will be the ONLY answer. And yes, they know about shooting thru and about skipping targets, but when you have to go through the same stuff at each and every target it turns into more effort than it' s worth. I guess the club could retain enough lawyers to send one per group so the shooters wouldn' t have to spend 5 minutes negotiating a shoot thru at every target...

But I sure would like to get together with you and TFOX and fling some arrows. I don' t mind shooting with open classers. In fact, I take a sort of perverse, sadistic delight in it.
Old 05-14-2003, 09:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

The # 1 answer.....it is embarrassing to walk 10-15 yards past the comp. pegs and STILL take a whooping.
Granted, they are not competing against the other class, but the scores are still posted
Aww Ums got upset cause ums didn' t win(not directed at you Big Country)

That mentality is simply silly. People just need to grow and realize that they don' t always get to have things their way. Quit throwing the temper tantrums, act like an adult, drop the insecurity issues, and shoot. JMO

PS I am a compound shooters that ALWAYS shoots with open class shooters(and quite often get whooped) and I have never had a problem with it.