Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

my own land about time.

Old 08-04-2009, 02:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default my own land about time.

Ok we bought a lot down the road from our cabin. It is a very small lot. 1/2 acre. But it is borded by two small unused lots and on the back by govt land. We are having a logger clear the trees of. I got to thinken nice clear lot, good rich soil, Sunshine. hey a food plot. I picked up some throw and go i think it is called. Going to seed it the day the logger finishes. The guy at gander said i would be ok if i could get it in the ground by mid augest. he said in a month it would be 2 feet tall.
It might be a small lot but it is mine. God help the guy i find on my little half acre to.
Question guys. I plan to gun and bow hunt it. I lost my tree stand and my dad mistakenly sold my pop up ground plan. He is giving me the cash for it sept first so i can buy a new stand. I do not think i will have a tree left to put one on. I could stick it on the govt land right behind the lot and the food plot. But then i will have to deal with all the crap of public land. I thought about taking some 4x4s sinking them in concret and building me a 4x8 or 8x8 platform like a deck. The lot is like a 75 yards or so by 125 yards. With the long side going down a grade to the govt property. I am unsure as to where i should set the platforum. Or should i just buy a new pop up. I want something i can leave up all season since it is my lot but i do not want it stolen. But with a pop up i could move it. Or should i maybe build a couple ground blinds cheap. We will have alot of brush i can use for cover on them Let me know your thought heres a link for the google map that shows the lot outline if you want to give me some ideas of placement. There are a few tracks throught the lot and a few trails at the back half coming up through the govt land. I figure with gun season i can just sit up by the top but it is a 100yards long and not sure i would get close enough for bow range where the plot and deer will be
Old 08-04-2009, 03:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats.........God stopped making land a long time ago, so whenever you get a chance to puts your hands on some........take it.
Old 08-04-2009, 06:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

Ya 1/2 acre ant much but hey i can get a food plot on it and a stand. This year it will be locked well and the ladder to
Originally Posted by stabnslab_WI
Congrats.........God stopped making land a long time ago, so whenever you get a chance to puts your hands on some........take it.
Old 08-04-2009, 06:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey on the bright side if the deer stays on your land after you shoot it you wont have far to track it. hehehe Congrats on the land.
Old 08-04-2009, 07:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would say the best spot to put the stand would be down at the bottom of the slope because the deer seem to like to hang out where they can't be seen.
Old 08-04-2009, 07:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

Thumbs up

Good to hear Tim, best of luck on It!!
Old 08-05-2009, 03:55 AM
Boone & Crockett

Congrats Tim and good luck with your food plot. I had recently inheritted 1 acgre of land with 2 wells and it is out in the back country.. I love the location and I am currently watching over another 14 acres of land. I am hoping to get some kind of deal on that in the not so far of a future. Either way though 1 acre can do the trick if the paper companies start bidding hunting areas out.. So the will the half acre in your case so hope fully you will have some great success with it..
Old 08-05-2009, 05:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

A 1/2 acre can't be 75 yards by 125 yards. That equals 1.9 acres. There are 43560 sq. feet in an acre. Take your estimated 75 yards X 3' =225' and then 125 yards X 3= 375 and mulitply them to get 84375 sq. feet. Devide 84375 sq. feet by 43560 sq. ft. per acre and you have 1.9 acres.

A half acre would measure closer to 50 yards by 50 yards.

Either way, congrats on your first land purchase.
Old 08-05-2009, 05:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks guys the owner we bought it from shot a nice doe and buck and missed another doe. The guy who he was selling it to on a contract last year shot a doe and buck. I figured i would be better down at the bottom with a stand but i worry about the wind being a north wind if it is a north or north west i would be screwed. I am good at scent control but not sure if i am that good.
Originally Posted by Phil from Maine
Congrats Tim and good luck with your food plot. I had recently inheritted 1 acgre of land with 2 wells and it is out in the back country.. I love the location and I am currently watching over another 14 acres of land. I am hoping to get some kind of deal on that in the not so far of a future. Either way though 1 acre can do the trick if the paper companies start bidding hunting areas out.. So the will the half acre in your case so hope fully you will have some great success with it..