Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Topo Maps

Old 08-01-2009, 08:41 PM
Typical Buck

Default Topo Maps

How do you read these properly, I have been looking at them for years now but still not sure
Old 08-01-2009, 10:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

The lines on them designate altitude/elevation, lines close together vs. wider apart equal steep vs. soft incline. Lines coming into a figure 8 pattern usually indicate a saddle or low spot on a ridge. Check out Acme Mapper, and look at the terrain and top maps, click back and forth, and it will guide you a little.
Old 08-02-2009, 01:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'm with you. I just take the places I know something about and try and read a map that way. Hopefully what I've learned from one will be the same in another. Not always the case.

The very best asset a hunter can have is

friends!
Old 08-02-2009, 02:41 PM
Dominant Buck

I have a civil background, which only taught me how to recognize topographical features in the field (from a map). Knowing why deer use certain terrain features is something you're gonna have to get from someone in the know.

There's a "pretty good" book called "Mapping Trophy Bucks (or whitetails...not sure). But, it's fairly basic. My advice would be to find someone who knows them well (Gri22 has been a wonderful resource, for me) and pick their brain. I must have sent Josh 30 maps last season alone. After a while, you start to recognize the features they (deer) like....and they stand out.

It also helps (starting out) if you have an aerial to overlay your topo on. My county GIS gives me great maps.

Old 08-02-2009, 03:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default I've been using topo maps for nearly 50 years

Trained by the military, I used them for later hunting trips.

I found both good hunting locations and how to say away from the crowd on public hunting lands.

A youth studying topo maps, even for civilian life, is still worth their weight in gold.

Still use a military style compass; never got around to a gps. Us old guys are hard to change, with what works.
Old 08-03-2009, 09:33 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Valentine

I found both good hunting locations and how to say away from the crowd on public hunting lands.
Would you care to elaborate as to what you look for in order to stay away from the crowd on public land?