Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Are older bows to slow/loud with today's deer

Old 08-03-2009, 07:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

My bow is 10 years old and it still kills deer!

Hatchet Jack
Old 08-03-2009, 11:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

The smart deer are still going to be a small percentage of the popultation just like im sure it always has been.

We are advancing technologically, but the deer are not just gonna start upping there anti b/c engineers produce better bows...

Didnt indians kill deer with bows???
Old 08-03-2009, 12:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Having taken 38 Biggame (Deer, Elk, Bears) animals with recurves (45#s to 65#s) 1958 to 1975 & 100+ since with Compounds (Deer, Mule Deer, Black Bears, Buffalo, Elk, Caribou, Wild Hogs, Sheep & more) I doubt anyone should have trouble with SPEEDY ANIMALS...
Old 08-03-2009, 12:56 PM
Dominant Buck

Having taken 38 Biggame (Deer, Elk, Bears) animals with recurves (45#s to 65#s) 1958 to 1975 & 100+ since with Compounds (Deer, Mule Deer, Black Bears, Buffalo, Elk, Caribou, Wild Hogs, Sheep & more) I doubt anyone should have trouble with SPEEDY ANIMALS...
Respect!!!
Old 08-03-2009, 01:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Everybody knows

that with these marketing people, you have to catch these new fleet footed deer, with one of those $2000 compound bows, or you ain't in the race.
Old 08-03-2009, 02:59 PM
bigcountry

Honestly old compounds suck. And wasn't much faster than a decent recurve. They were so loud, it scared me when I shot a a deer. I litterly have gotten off two shots from my longbow, and the deer wasn't spooked at all. Well until that second shot went into his ribs that is.

You just can't compare older compounds to trad bows. One is quiet as a mouse and other loud as a gun. (well not that loud). Its not a fair comparison. Performance is about the same. I am shocked they were ever able to sell compounds in the 70's and early 80s'. Marginal performance increase with much louder. I guess letoff was a selling point.

My first compound was a bear whitetail hunter, and I don't miss it at all. My second was a gem, a browning excellerator.

Old 08-03-2009, 04:32 PM
Typical Buck

Just silence your bow and the deer won't jump the string , it's that easy .
Old 08-03-2009, 07:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by fishinty
Just silence your bow and the deer won't jump the string , it's that easy .
A bow will only get soo much quieter by adding sound dampening stuff...
Old 08-04-2009, 04:38 AM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by drockw
A bow will only get soo much quieter by adding sound dampening stuff...
Exactly, you can add 10lbs of dampeners to a 25 year old bow, and its only going to get you so far.

Whats funny is when I shot my Browning excellerator, all my freinds and I raved about how quiet it was compared to my bear whitetail, and now if you hear one of those excellerator, you wondered if I dry fired it. Everything is relative.

Old 08-04-2009, 04:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just wondering what you all think is an old bow. Is it 5-10, 10-15 ect. My browning is a whopping 6 and still shots true and is quiet as well. Trust me, I would love to pick a new bow but that just is not possible this year. I am thinking of changing out the string and maybe a new rest, crank it up a couple and shazam, it will be like new...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.