Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

A Newbi question about bows?

Old 05-10-2003, 12:54 AM
TJF
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: A Newbi question about bows?

Have you been to McGarvey Archery in DL?? He is pretty decent and is very helpful. Both PABowhntr and Arthur P know there stuff when it comes to bows and I have enjoyed and gotten a lot out of their post/replies over the last 4 years. Anything McGarvey couldn' t answer, they probably can and would get you on the right track faster then if you went to Cabelas. It probably would save a lot of headaches for you down the road. Goodluck on what ever you decide.

Tim
Old 05-10-2003, 02:44 AM
Boone & Crockett

Hey Fishy, did any of those shops I gave you a while back work for ya? I hope so. Nothing like getting started out right with someone that knows what they are doing.

One thing to keep in mind is that when you get a new bow and the shop sets it up for you the string is going to stretch and your bow will go out of tune. Don' t worry about it. It' s going to happen. After you get it shoot it about 300 - 500 times then take it back to the shop so they can twist up your string and cables back to specs. After that you will be good to go. There will be minor stuff here and there but for the most part you are good to go. Like PABowhntr said, take measurements on where your peep is, where your nock is, where your cam or cams line up, ATA length and so on.
Old 05-10-2003, 06:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

TJF no i have not been there. i am only 30 miles from Devils Lake. i didnt even know there was one in DL until bigbulls looked it up for me and told be about some shops in ND. i talked to a teacher at school that bow hunts and he said thats were he bought most of his bow hunting stuff and it would be a great place to start. bigbulls yes That McGarvey Archery is the one i am going too, and the one that the teacher said would be a great place for me to start. but i havent made a trip up there yet. but i am wanting to real soon. thanks alot bigbulls. my teacher said theres a shooting range downstairs so that will be nice to shoot em before i buy em. thnks agin. and thanks you guys for all the info
Old 05-10-2003, 06:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

i just went to devils lake this afternoon after we got done workin cows and haulin them out to the pasture. i found the store. it was closed though. but i am going back somtime soon to check it out i cant wait. i am gettin a bow prty soon
Old 05-11-2003, 01:49 AM
TJF
Nontypical Buck

Saturdays you have to get there before 2 or 3 PM and I generally call to make sure he is going to be there as it is 30 miles for me too and he has other things going on too. I should have posted that in my first reply, sorry.

Tim
Old 05-11-2003, 07:47 AM
Boone & Crockett

Lots of good suggestions. A pro shop or good archery club is definitely the place to go for real hands-on experience. There are alot of knowledgable folks here but there is alot of info that you really need to get in person.
Old 05-12-2003, 07:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

TJF were you from? what town? But thnks. i am goin there on friday i think. do you know the store hours?
Old 05-12-2003, 09:52 AM

mrfishy

Before you purchase a bow and the necessary accessories that you will need, I strongly suggest that you first talk to bowhunters that have well-grounded hunting knowledge and techniques, subscribe and adhere to the KISS rule when it comes to the basic equipment you actually need, and are proficient in the basics of bow and accessory tuning. Here on HNC is a very good start.

Do not allow yourself to be misled by all the manufacturer hype, and shooters who are heavily into " gadgetry," the pursuit of supersonic bow speed, and " flaunting." There are many excellent and knowledgeable bowhunters and techs that are not in magazines, do not have hunting gear with their name on it, are not nationally recognized as an expert bow tech, and do not compete in the field or 3D archery arena. Many are found here on the HNC forum.

Until you know your way around the sport of archery and have a good and basic understanding of what you actually need to begin and know what is best for you... and know what you do not need, beware of any bow shop. The owner is the business to make money and the employees have an interest to make a larger paycheck. You could easily end up paying hundreds of dollars more than you need to for an outfit that is an " overkill" and totally unsuitable and to complex for you as a novice in the archery game.

Also, number of kills, especially number of bucks killed, is not an all-conclusive gauge to use to determine a bowhunter' s actual and overall skills; and, hence, the true reliability, durability, and proficiency of a bow and gear. I know excellent hunters who hunt with older and the most basic compound/recurve gear, and I have been around bad hunters and bad shooters who hunt with the newest and most complicated bow and gear.

Old 05-12-2003, 01:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

c903 thnks, but i am only buying what i think i need. (Arrows, broad heads, stabalizer, site, release, feild points, and a shooting target plus a bow) every thing else can wait. i want to get one now so i can start shooting and practicing for this fall. i have an old bow so i have shot bow quite abit. And i have a teacher that told me he bought all his bow hunting stuff at this archery store. but i am going to look at a bow first then talk to him on any questions i need to know
Old 05-13-2003, 10:34 PM
TJF
Nontypical Buck

I live in Brocket, north of Lakota. Weekdays at his store are 9 or 10 Am to 5 PM if I remember right. I think he also takes off for dinner for an hour. If I make a trip to DL just to stop there, I always call as he usually is the only one working there and he has other things going on. Saves a wasted trip.

Tim

Quick Reply: A Newbi question about bows?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.