Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

questions and concerns

Old 05-08-2003, 07:09 PM

Default questions and concerns

hi... recently i had a problem with my 10 and 20 yrd pins floating on me...well i resighted and now i have a new problem...before i had to resight i was nailing the bull now i am shooting to the right a couple inches...i thought it might be my grip causing me to tourque my bow to the right and throw the arrows off...but a loose grip using just the webbing of my hand to hold the bow produced the same results...only difference between prefloat and now is i have turned my poundage up.... will turning up the poundage cause a new shooter to torque the bow and not realize it? ...i had my wife stand behind me to see if that was the case and she said the only movement she saw was the bow went straight up ... im at a loss and not sure whats causing it...any suggestions?
Old 05-08-2003, 07:15 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: questions and concerns

How much did you crank it up. Sounds like you may have cranked enough to throw the spine off whack. Simple solution... crank it down and see if it changes impact. I' m not sure how pins can be floating unless you didn' t have them tight. It won' t take much in or out to move the arrow a couple inches. In this case you would have lengthened the pin(moved it out away from the bow for RH) causing the arrows to move right of aiming point. If you crank it down and it doesn' t change I' d just reset the pins and tighten them down. I assume rest and everything else is in the same place. " STUFF" happens and we resight.
Old 05-08-2003, 07:23 PM
Boone & Crockett

Cranking your poundage up is going to make your arrow have different flight characteristics. The arrow is not leaving the bow the same way it was before you turned up the poundage. Any time you change something on your set up you might have to retune. Wether it is your head, poundage, different arrows, defferent rest, etc...

I use a NAP 2000 fall away and had the cable guard they sent in the package on my bow. I had very little vane clearance with that guard on so I put the original one back on and modified it to accept the cable. When I went back out to shoot the arrows impacted the target about 8" ' s higher than they did with the NAP guard on. I didn' t think it would have made a difference but the original cable guard pulled the cables a little tighter and 8" ' s was the difference.
Old 05-08-2003, 08:05 PM

thanks for the replies guys... i tried the cranking down..it didnt help...so i went back up( id only turned it up two turns )...as far as i know nothing has changed concerning my rest ...i did think that perhaps my sights got bumped somehow and it changed my windage(?) ...i dont know for sure how to change that so i am going to run my bow by the proshop where i got it from and have them take a look at it tomorrow sometime....they told me i had lifetime tuning with them when i purchased it...so i guess ill take em up on it ...i still havent figured out how my pins worked loose enough to float around to begin with...i swear i' ve got gremlins in this house [:-]
Old 05-08-2003, 11:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

There' s a lot of vibration going on in a bow and screws vibrating loose is something that' s a never ending process. You need to check each screw on your bow and accessories at least once a month.

Maybe if you told us what kind of sight you have, someone can tell you how to adjust the windage on it. Different sights have different ways of adjusting windage. Some sights have pins that move individually and some sights move all the pins at once. It might save you a trip to the shop and it' s something you really do need to know how to do yourself. Pro shops are few and far between when you' re in the woods.
Old 05-09-2003, 05:32 AM

sorry bout that Arthur... im using Copper Johns dead Nuts hunter...i know it has a set screw that will let me adjust windage but as i am just getting into archery i liken it to kinda like working on a car the very first time...you know something is outta whack but you just don' t know what is wrong exactly or how to exactly fix it...i am hoping that its just a windage problem and not a problem with my rest or my knock....
Old 05-09-2003, 06:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

TRY TO DO IT YOURSELF--if you get it screwed up then take it in to the shop.It really isn' t that hard to do.jmho.
Old 05-09-2003, 06:50 AM
Boone & Crockett

Though my first thoughts were along the same line as David' s it could just be something simple like the sight windage screw loosening up. There are other factors to consider but, for now, I would just move the sight while at the same time leaving a small mark on it where your original setting was...just for peace of mind.
Old 05-09-2003, 08:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

2 turns on the limb bolts will definatly effect spine . Thats about 7 or 8 Lbs . Lots of diferance .
Old 05-09-2003, 08:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Fthrs, is your sight a new one (2003)? If not the windage may be moving on you. Copper John left more metal on the sight where the adjustment screw tightens on the 03s. You can tell by looking at the sight on the side, where the screw is. If the side is flat, it' s the old style. If there is a raised area, it' s the new style. Your shop may have parts to fix the old style sight. I always put a daub of whiteout on the sight to verify it' s not moving, or moving as the case may be.

Quick Reply: questions and concerns

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.