Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Best Public Land in KY

Old 07-21-2009, 09:30 AM
Spike

Default Best Public Land in KY

I am planning a hunting trip (bow) to one of the WMA's in KY and need to know about the rut and best area of the state to start. Thanks for any help
Old 07-21-2009, 04:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here's the link to start Dept. of fish and game....it may help.

http://www.kdfwr.state.ky.us/

Also any of them will have a lot of pressure around the rut. Some have gun hunting dome only quota hunts during the rut. The pre rut runs from about the last week of Oct to throught the first week of Nov. The full rut will be from about Nov. 10 to the end of the month.

I like LBL because its more remote and you can get away from others. Peabody is pretty good early but gets hammer near the rut. Higginson Henry is bow only but pretty small and gets hunted harder than any land in the state. Pennyrile had a monster killed there a few years ago...but its hunted hard too.

This awesome 19-point non-typical, scoring 246 3/8, is Kentucky’s No. 1 buck from the 2006-2007 season. It ranks 5th on the state’s all-time list of B&C non-typical whitetails. Taxidermy by Martin

These are the ones I know about. A good buck could come from anywhere in the state. The Daniel Boone would be another one to look at is you want remote. Its over 600,000 acres. I hear good things about Tayolsville also.