Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

black bear-spitfires or thunderheads?

Old 05-07-2003, 04:26 PM

Default black bear-spitfires or thunderheads?

I' m going after the bruins pretty soon here, and I have the choice of using spitfires 100 gr 3 blade, or 100 gr thunderhead 3 blade? What do you think? Also, which would work best for deer/elk/antelope. With all these new expandables, it has be doubting whether I should use fixed blades or not. Can they still fly good? What is the " big" advantage with expandables!?>
Old 05-07-2003, 05:14 PM

Default RE: black bear-spitfires or thunderheads?

The first question you should ask yourself when thinking of going to expandables is, " what is the kinetic energy of my equipment?" . If you don' t know, do yourself a favor and find out before shooting expandables. It can save you alot of headaches.
Old 05-08-2003, 03:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you want to use the same head for elk size game then the thunderheads win hands down. If you don' t mind switching heads and you have at least 55 ft/lbs of KE then the spitfires will work for bear and deer size game. I personaly still prefer the thunderheads, but then again I prefer fixed blade heads most of the time.
Old 05-08-2003, 07:05 AM
Dominant Buck

I also am a fixed fanatic. Bears tend not to leave much of a blood trail. They also have some REALLY heavy bone. I would think if you' re really heavy in the KE department I would pick whichever I felt comfortable with. I personnally believe in the " Overkill" philosopy. I think I' d want something above 60 and nearer 65 foot pounds before I' d be whacking bears with mechanicals... but remember.. I like overkill, fixed and particularly Thunderheads.
Old 05-08-2003, 07:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Muzzys oh that wasent a choice thunderheads
Old 05-08-2003, 08:19 AM

If you' re not shooting a lot of #' s you should go with the Thunderheads. The Spitfires are good broadheads but it takes a lot of force to get the full effect out of em. You can' t go wrong with Thunderheads, but if you can you should look at some Vortex.
Old 05-08-2003, 01:25 PM
Fork Horn

I would go with thunderheads due to lack of blood trail and bones plus there less to go want and wounded bear is no fun
Old 05-08-2003, 05:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Anyone know the name of the husband and wife bear hunting couple who make the bear -n- down videos?
Anyway , The wife shoots spitfires and shockwaves with 37lbs of kinetic energy.[]

They work awesome for her. It' s all about shot placement! If' n I was goin after bears I' d want the nastiest wound inflictor I could find.
Old 05-08-2003, 06:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have taken some Black Bear & 2 Biggies-1 spring 19" 300# & a Fall 19" 600# neither went ovewr 30 yards-double lungers-3 Blade Rocky mountain Razor 125gr (fixed blades) on a 2117 Aluminum out of 60# compound. 1 with same set up & 55# Groves recurve 17 1/2" . Have Taken Elk, Caribou, Whitetail, Mule Deer, other Exotics & the toughest animal of all-wild hogs with the same Broadhead. They fly great, bust bone on a bad hit. I try others (experiment) every year & see " NO" reason to change or anything any better.
I have a saying-the " FEWER" moving parts on your equiptment in the field is one less thing that can " GO WRONG" . Good luck on your hunt-get a biggie & let us know-If you have never gone b/4 it can be a blast. I have been on 15 Bear Bowhunts & leave them to the new guys now-I was blessed with some good Bowhunts...