Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Strickly Bowhunting

Old 07-13-2009, 12:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Strickly Bowhunting

How many here are strickly bowhunters...and why?

For me it's the challenge of getting close, used to go deer hunting long ago when I was 12 or so with my dad and uncle...shots at 200yrds were ok, and great for the moment...but I needed something more from hunting...and found it in bowhunting when I was 20...and from then have never stopped...not been gun hunting since...
Old 07-13-2009, 01:05 PM
Fork Horn

Kinda the same deal here, happened about 15 years ago. Not to say there haven't been a few occasions where I ended up with a gun in hand by the end of the season (not in recent years). However thats typically due to folks running dogs near by and the season is at it's end. If you really want to kick it up a knotch (if you haven't already?) pick up traditional bow hunting.

While doing our annual week to the mts trip several years a long time friend turned me on to trad gear. Haven't hunted my compound since. Really takes you back to the excitment of those first days years ago... Try it I promise you will feel what I am talking about.

Last edited by buckwild41; 07-14-2009 at 12:59 PM.
Old 07-13-2009, 03:19 PM
Typical Buck

I love bow hunting but to me there is something romantic about hunting with a gun. Opening day of bow season doesn't have the same magic that opening day of rifle season has. I think part of it comes from the difference between bows and guns. To me guns have so much more personality and mystique, where I view bows as more like tools - I value them, but only until the next new cool bow comes out. My deer rifle on the other hand is practically part of my family. Its my father's old rifle and i remember sitting in awe listening to my dad's hunting stories. So now that I'm the one who hunts with it is something special, and I know that if/when my father passes away it will be even more cherished. So even if i got to the point where gun hunting didn't excite me anymore, I would still go purely for nostalgia sake
Old 07-13-2009, 03:32 PM
Boone & Crockett

I grew up with guns, in the 60’s my dad was the best shooter in the world winning the gold medal in the Olympics. I grew up working at our rifle and pistol range, and shot skeet on a professional level. In 1966 we added an archery range, and life hasn’t been the same since.
I’ve never gun hunted except an occasional varmint hunt. I do every other year or so go on a wing hunt with my shotgun, but there is nothing like getting close and personal with a bow. I’m thinking of duck hunting this year with a bow.
Old 07-13-2009, 03:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

I enjoy both, and was raised gun hunting..However, bowhunting has taken over and there is nothing else I'd rather do. I do still gun hunt during shotgun season.
Old 07-13-2009, 04:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Bow hunting is great, but I figure that when the season's over I'm switching to my rifle like most people.By that time I've given it my best effort for the last 4 or 5 weeks and I'm ready to put the odds more in my favor. Down here in Florida where I hunt your lucky to even see a deer during archery season, let alone get a shot. Once firearm season starts it's bucks only with 5" antlers on private land, and at least one antler with 3 points on public land. I'm still waiting to harvest my first Florida deer so why handicap myself. Maybe I'd feel different if I lived in a place were I could at least put some venison in the freezer every year. In the mean time I drew a permit this year for a wma that I've been trying to get into for years, I'm using my new 336ss in 30-30.
Old 07-13-2009, 04:37 PM
Fork Horn

i also love bow hunting.been doing it 20 years now.but also like black powder and handgun hunting.never shot a slug gun.
Old 07-13-2009, 04:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

I love bowhunting but i tell ya what there is just something about rifle hunting. The rest of my family hunts with guns only so i guess it the only way i can relate to them hunting wise. I guess for me in a way its more relaxing than bowhunting. And i just cant ever see myself not rifle hunting.
Old 07-13-2009, 05:56 PM

I love my bow, but in all honesty I love my guns just as much. To me, gun hunting is something that just comes natural - something that happens without discussion. It is just that engrained into my family's traditions. It is a chance for my father and me to get out and do something together ( besides keep the house from falling apart )

He did pick up bowhunting again after a long hiatus, but gun season is really the only part of the year where we get a chance to spend a lot of time together. And as my father gets older, every year is just that more special.
Old 07-13-2009, 06:36 PM
Boone & Crockett

Cool

With the exception of turkeys and it's either or with them, I am strictly bow. I haven't fired a rifle since the 90's. I have NO desire to ever kill another big game animal with anything other than my bow and arrow.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.