Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Colorado Elk Hunt

Old 05-07-2003, 04:08 AM

Default Colorado Elk Hunt

Just getting back into archery after a layoff of about 7 years and loving it. Amazing what my new BT Extreme VFT can do that my old PSE FireFlite can' t. Now to my question, I' d sure like to go on an elk hunt and Colorado seems to be the most popular place to elk hunt. I' ve just gotten a windfall of money (hidden from the wife)that will enable me to go on an elk hunt but I am confused about the tag system in Colorado. [X(]Some people have told me I need to draw a tag to archery hunt in Colorado and some people have told me no, it' s over the counter for archery. I know some of you guys have gone and have first hand knowledge, which is it? I' ve e-mailed a couple of outfitters trying to find out plus feel them out on what type of hunts they offer but they' ve never e-mailed me back. Any suggestions on a good outfitter to use in Colorado? Thanks guys, new to the site but love it, picked up so many pointers since I' ve started shooting again.
Old 05-07-2003, 06:36 AM
tm
Fork Horn

Default RE: Colorado Elk Hunt

colorado has a lot of elk and a lot of elk hunters. You can buy over the counter tags, about $250.00 for cow tags & $450.00 for either sex tags. Do a search for Colorado game & fish, they have a website and you can get their 2003 hunting guide sent to you.
Old 05-07-2003, 06:41 AM

Meomako - the short answer is...

It depends....

There are CO GMU' s that are over the counter (otc) & others that are not..

Have you checked out the CO DoW website? They have .pdf' s that are downloadable explaing the GMU' s & what' s otc & what' s not.

Page 31 of the regs (describing the seasons & specifically the Unlimited archery seasons) reads:
" OTC, either-sex and antlerless archery elk licenses are valid in all units EXCEPT:" (then it lists the GMU' s...)

Regardless of whether you buy an otc license or not I would suggest gettig the license prior to going to CO - you' ll save time & worry by getting it on-line prior to departure.

Good luck this fall - and - bring' em to the top pin!

STL

Old 05-10-2003, 05:59 AM

If you go to www.winterhawk.com there is alot of information on elk hunting. They are an outfitter, and have several pages on how to obtain your tag.

hunt on hunt hard eat well
Old 05-10-2003, 07:39 AM

Any of you guys ever use, hear of, or know someone who has used Elk Basin outfitters in Colorado? Also, anyone familiar with unit #53 the area they hunt, supposedly a " wilderness area" ? It' s also a OTC tag unit which I need being I waited too long to apply for a tag. I' m waiting on a response from them on questions I have but basically they offer a fully guided 2 on 1, sometimes 1 on 1 archery hunt; pack in by horse back; the camp, food, all you furnish is bow, personnel effects, clothing; for under $2,000. This is a great price if this is a reputable service, that' s what I' m trying to find out. One more question, any of you guys ever fly in on an elk hunt, how do you get your meat/horns home? If I had to guess, maybe UPS?? and how expensive is that?[>:][>:]
Thanks and any elk hunting info you deem useful, shoot it this way.