Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Choices, choices? single or multi pin ?

Old 07-05-2009, 08:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Choices, choices? single or multi pin ?

ORIGINAL: Howler

single slider pin for me, and I hunt everything from turkey, to whitetail, to antelope, to elk with it. For me when it comes time to take the longer than average shot, usually talking about elk and antelope, I have found that I have time to use a range finder, then slide the pin to the exact yardage, and make the shot. If you don't know the yardage, especially on longer than average shots, it don't matter which you prefer, the chances of screwing the shot up, and possibly wounding an animal, increase 10 fold! By taking the time to range the animal, slide the pin, and take the shot, it gives me great confidence in myself that I CAN make the shot. It helps slow me down, as not to rush and screw things up.
When I'm sitting in a tree stand hunting whitetails, I always have my pin set on 20 yards, because I rarely will have a shot opportunity any further than about 25 yards, where I hunt. And turkeys from a blind in decoys, always got time to set the pin, if the shot isn't a slam 5 or 6 yard dunk! Usually is a slam dunk short dhot, but every now and then a turkey will hold up out at 30 or 35 yards, but even then, still got time to range, slide, and shoot!
What single pin with slider could you recommend?
Old 07-05-2009, 09:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

There are several decent single pin sliders on the market, but the HHA line is very hard to beat on features and rock solid performance. They are pretty much bullet proof!

The Rheostat on several models is great, 10' of fiber optic available on certain models is nice, and the computer generated sight tapes that go on the wheel of the Optimizer are dead on at each and every yard once sight in is complete and proper tape installed.

Dan
Old 07-05-2009, 12:00 PM
Spike

I used to shoot multiple pins and even considered getting a new sight with 5 pins but was in bass pro one day and found a really good deal on a single pin slider so I figured Iwould give it a shot and now I love it. I also find that I can be a lot more accurate with the pin being vertical it has really helped me keep my left and right accuracy more dead on.
Old 07-05-2009, 05:59 PM
Fork Horn

A single pin pendelum sight...automatically compensates for range from 3 yards to 35 yards (+-) from a tree stand...don't have to worry about range most of the time...just aim and shoot.

This has improved my confidence in bow hunting a 1000% compared to shooting multiple pin sights...