Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Choices, choices? single or multi pin ?

Old 07-02-2009, 05:50 AM

Default RE: Choices, choices? single or multi pin ?

ORIGINAL: crenshaw

check your peep. It could be that your peep is turned slightly. If thats the case it will cause your pins to be seen as blurry. Also, if you have a small peep that doesnt allow much light in during low light situation it will make it harder or blurry too.
x2 - I had this problem last year, the serving holding your peep in just may have started to loosen up, or the rubber cord that aligns your peep may be getting stretched out and not turning it all the way.
Old 07-02-2009, 06:05 AM

I will ck out my peep. I know it was clear last year. It makes sense.
Old 07-02-2009, 09:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Austin/WI

ORIGINAL: Hurricanespg
Never did like taking the time to adjust the pin to the correct yardage.
While I understand this point, once you know the yardage of your main shooting lanes, you can practice shooting at various distances with your pin set at your most common shooting lane distance. For example, I routinely keep my sight set it's 20yd mark, and I'll practice shooting at distances from 15yds all the way out to 30-35ish yards. It's just like learning where to hold your pins at various distances that are in between your pin yardages on a multi-pin. It's all practice.
Unfortunately, I don't have main shooting lanes. All of my hunting is done on the ground still hunting, spot and stalk style. I understand what you are saying about compensating though...still I prefer to use the multi pins in that instance since it allows you two reference points to use when shooting (top and bottom pin).
Old 07-02-2009, 02:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

single slider pin for me, and I hunt everything from turkey, to whitetail, to antelope, to elk with it. For me when it comes time to take the longer than average shot, usually talking about elk and antelope, I have found that I have time to use a range finder, then slide the pin to the exact yardage, and make the shot. If you don't know the yardage, especially on longer than average shots, it don't matter which you prefer, the chances of screwing the shot up, and possibly wounding an animal, increase 10 fold! By taking the time to range the animal, slide the pin, and take the shot, it gives me great confidence in myself that I CAN make the shot. It helps slow me down, as not to rush and screw things up.
When I'm sitting in a tree stand hunting whitetails, I always have my pin set on 20 yards, because I rarely will have a shot opportunity any further than about 25 yards, where I hunt. And turkeys from a blind in decoys, always got time to set the pin, if the shot isn't a slam 5 or 6 yard dunk! Usually is a slam dunk short dhot, but every now and then a turkey will hold up out at 30 or 35 yards, but even then, still got time to range, slide, and shoot!
Old 07-02-2009, 03:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

I've used both a lot and I definitely prefer the Single Pin sight over a Multi-Pin sight.

Dan
Old 07-03-2009, 02:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: wis_bow_huntr

The less you have to look at, the less you have to think. Single pin, Youll be suprised how much easier and more confident youll be able to shoot.
I agree.
Old 07-03-2009, 03:29 PM

ORIGINAL: Austin/WI

Never did like taking the time to adjust the pin to the correct yardage.
While I understand this point, once you know the yardage of your main shooting lanes, you can practice shooting at various distances with your pin set at your most common shooting lane distance. For example, I routinely keep my sight set it's 20yd mark, and I'll practice shooting at distances from 15yds all the way out to 30-35ish yards. It's just like learning where to hold your pins at various distances that are in between your pin yardages on a multi-pin. It's all practice.
Unfortunately, I don't have main shooting lanes. All of my hunting is done on the ground still hunting, spot and stalk style. I understand what you are saying about compensating though...still I prefer to use the multi pins in that instance since it allows you two reference points to use when shooting (top and bottom pin).

This is an area that I can definitely see an advantage to have multiple pins, something I overlooked.
Old 07-03-2009, 03:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

In my experience if you have a shot farther than 30 yards and don't have the few seconds needed to roll the sight then you probably should Not take that shot!

Dan
Old 07-05-2009, 04:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Single pin works better for me---you still have to be able to judge the yardage or you will miss the shot no matter how many pins you have.I shoot my bow enough to know where to hold that one pin at different distances.
Old 07-05-2009, 07:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

I prefer the multi pin set up. Never did like taking the time to adjust the pin to the correct yardage.
X2, I use a 20, 30 and 40 yard setup. I always have and never had a problem.

Quick Reply: Choices, choices? single or multi pin ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.