Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Trail CAMS

Old 05-05-2003, 12:37 PM

Default Trail CAMS

Hey guys/girls,

As my first post I have to ask who is using trail cams and what are the suggestions out there? I live in Canada so deer population isn' t as
high as it is in the states which has made me decide buying one would
be to my best benefit.

Please list the ones you have used along with the pro' s and con' s.

Old 05-05-2003, 02:51 PM

Default RE: Trail CAMS

I use a Moutrie Game Cam II, go to the deerhunting forum to see some pics. I like it because it does almost everything the others do, but for only $130. Drawbacks are you can' t see the number of photos taken without opening the door, and it is rather large. Other than that, it' s not a bad camera for the money.

Old 05-05-2003, 07:55 PM
Typical Buck

Another draw back to the game cam II (which I own and love by the way) is it' s distance. I believe, tho I' m not certain, that the distance at which it can detect movement/heat is not as far as the $450 cams. BUT (and this is a big BUT) we' re talking hundreds (millions if you talk old mexican pesos) of $ in difference. I love mine. All you have to do is bait (but then you' ll wonder if you found a trail or you lured ' em in) or just be certain of the trail, scrape, rub you found and set it up close enough to get the shot.

For the money i think it' s an incredibly good buy.

But let me tell you about what I almost got: www.fieldpix.com

that website has all the stuff to " do it yourself" and make one of the $450 cams for around 140-150 (after shipping, for the camera I wanted anyway). But that' s if you want to venture putting it together yourself or having an experienced friend do it. You don' t get a warranty and all that good stuff, but the reports on the website are that you end up with a good camera for less. If everything went according to plan you could end up with a much better game cam then the moultrie game cam II. For me, it was just TOO BIG of an IF.
Old 05-05-2003, 10:54 PM

I have 2 of the photohunters. What I like is, the amount of time scouting it eliminates for you. It helps you decide if an area is worth hunting. the only drawback I have found on these are that you can only have time OR date, not both.
Old 05-06-2003, 07:08 AM

Maybe a trip to Cabelas is the safest bet.
After all it' s not that far from home...it took 4hrs last time.
Thanks for the great input. [:-]
Old 05-06-2003, 10:02 PM

Cabelas has one for $79. Check it out.
Old 05-07-2003, 06:53 AM

Cgarrett,

Yes I saw the ones for $79 at Cabelas but I don' t know how they work.
Any idea?