Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

New camera arm. Lighter and smaller. (Update with more pics)

Old 05-26-2009, 04:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default New camera arm. Lighter and smaller. (Update with more pics)

I went to lowes this past weekend and bought a few supplies. I made two arms that can adjust in pretty much any direction. One arm was a trial and the other one was to try and improve off of. I''m still working on the second one. I still need to cut the aluminum down into sections and buy a handle for the second adjustment. The first arm that I built doesn't have any handles on it yet because the bolts are differant sizes. Careless mistake that I should have saw before I started welding...

This is the first arm. The tree is at a slant and this pic is how the arm would look if you didn't adjust it. (Positioned for a straight tree)

Then to get the arms right just do a few adjustments...

If you have a bit heavier camera then you can fold the first to arms up so their isn't so much force on each arm.

Or just fold all of them up...

This is the second mount. As you can see I still need to cut the arms down to length and get another handle...

I need to do some more grinding where I welded. I hate stick welders so much. Me and my dad have already been talking and we are going to buy a wire welder and buy a new helmet that has a clear mask but when you start welding it turns shaded. I've been having problems with that. Im trying to tack something with the look away method but it didn't work. The corner of my eye got sore and I was up all night. Good thing it felt a little better in the morning because I had a bow shoot. I still managed to score 281.

Both arms can go on any angled tree and still have a flat arm for filming.

If you have a log laying on the ground and your sitting down or something then you can easily adjust it so its flat...
The arm is position like a laying down log. Just pretend that tree is on the ground... you get the idea.

And one thing im proud of that I never even thought of before is the small amount of space it takes up. I didn't even notice it until I was done and testing it.

I have size 11 1/2 shoes and the mount is about the same length as my shoe.

Once I get both arms finished im taking it into the shop so my dad can primer it. Then ill lay some camoflauge onto it. Ill be sure to post a finished picture of it.
Old 05-27-2009, 04:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: New camera arm. Lighter and smaller.

LookinggoodPope. It's fun to tinker and build a better mouse trap. Looks like your doing some quality work.
Old 05-27-2009, 05:29 AM
Typical Buck

Nice looking work, cant wait to see the finished product.
Old 05-27-2009, 10:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GR8atta2d

LookinggoodPope. It's fun to tinker and build a better mouse trap. Looks like your doing some quality work.
haha my grandma said that exact same thing. "building a better mouse trap." Its exactly what im doing too. Once I get the arms to where they are in nice shape then I plan on building more and selling them.
Old 05-27-2009, 01:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

Looks great!
Old 05-27-2009, 06:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Looks nice, and definitelyeasy to carry. Sure beats spending all the $$$$ people spend on camera arms.
Old 05-28-2009, 04:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Some camera arms out their are just flimsy plastic ones that cost $150. Its not even worth buying one. I really enjoy making things so I decided to make my own. I wouldn't mind makingabout 10 of them and selling them for low prices. I made those two arms for under $30. So its not all that expensive. I think $20-$30 for labor would be good enough for me. Im just a kid and isn't looking for much. I just enjoy making them and it gives me practice for the future.
Old 06-01-2009, 05:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

I finally got my camera mount done. Well not completely. Just have to do some touch up painting.

I added a few new things to it. Before I couldn't get the verticle adjustment tight enough to hold the arm steady with my big bulky camera so I had to find a way to add another enforcement to it. The new addition I added took about two hours to accomplish just because I was winging it and I didn't have the right equipment to make it. What I had to do was cut a sqaure peice out of a sheet of steel and then I had to drill a hole in the middle. I have another hole on the aluminum and what I had to do was draw a line where ever that aluminum's hole went. Then the part that I hated was that I had to drill holes all the way around the line. Then I took the grinded tried making it look and work better. It all would have been easier if I had a plasma cutter.
I welded this new item to my mount to make it more sturdy. The part that I hate, and im trying to find a way to fix it, is that you have to use a wrench or some plyers to tighten up the new adjustment. Just because I have no way of welding the bolts to any thing and if you turn the handle the bolt turns also.

If you dont understand anything I have said then dont worry about it. Im bad at trying to explain things. Expecially on the computer.

In my future mounts I will have to take them to a friend of mine so I can use his plasma cutter. that way it doesn't look like crap.

Before when I stretched the arms out to full length, the camera's weight made the arm move down and not stay in place but my upgrade keeps it in place.

Oh and btw, WE ARE GETTING A WIRE WELDER! and some more toys.
My dad is letting me make my own workshop out of his small barn and hes helping with buying the welder and the other things.
We already bought a drill press.