Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Tred Barta Paralyzed

Old 05-20-2009, 07:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Tred Barta Paralyzed

I wouldn't wish this on anyone but I detested his shows.

I do hope he recovers from this and is able to continue what he loves.

Old 05-20-2009, 07:47 PM

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Trevor:

If you knew the history of Fred Bear (arguably the most revered hunter of all time) you'd probably have to say the same thing about him, too.

BTW....Fred did it the hard way, too. If that threatens you, it's your issue.
Nothing threatens me, its just a 40-50 yard sprinting shot on a Caribou isn't a shot any bowhunter should take. Nor is flinging three arrows into a flock of turkey 30 yards out and hoping. Nor is the infamous elk shot he took. His self proclaimed perfectness throughout these situations topped it all off. I guess these shots ARE harder than the shots one should take though.[&:]

The simple fact that his bow doesn't have cams does NOT excuse this fact. Fred Bear operated in a different time period. I wouldn't do alot of the things he did, but then again I wasn't hunting in the beginning of modern archery either. Tred Barta is doing all this in the 2000s, and as if that isn't bad enough, he captures it all on film to show to the nation....boasting about it constantly.

TFOX sums it up perfectly....NO ONE deserves to go through something this horrific, but he isn't what I would consider a bowhunting idol, or one to look up to.

Aside from hunting? Tred is a WONDERFUL person.....He gives to MANY charities, works many fundraisers, and does MOST without even seeking recognition.

Read his interview over on bowsite, pretty interesting dialogue between he and Pat.
Old 05-20-2009, 07:52 PM

the latest news on Tred's condition from Sportfishing Magazine: Update: 'Encouraging signs' in Tred Barta's condition Wed, May 20, 2009 An update on Tred Barta's condition (May 20) from Dean Travis Clarke: "Just got off phone with Tred Barta and wife Anni. He had packed to travel to Alaska for a bear hunt for his TV show. Put his bag in his truck, Returned to house and then on way back to truck felt loss of feeling in his left leg. Decided to walk up mountainside behind house to make sure he could handle the rigors of hunting in Alaska before getting on plane. Condition worsened, so he immediately went to doctor. Doctor ordered ambulance to take him to hospital where MRI, CT scan, etc determined he'd suffered a spinal "Stroke." Quite rare – afflicting approximately 12 of 100,000 people in the U.S. each year.
Within four hours, he had completely lost feeling in both legs up to a point halfway between his chest and navel.
Tred and Anni seem to be taking turns being supportive and dejected. Fortunately, they seem to balance each other that way. He will soon be transferred to Craig Rehab Center in Denver. Craig is a non-profit freestanding hospital that has been rated every year in the Top Ten Rehabilitation Hospitals by US News and World Report since the ratings began eighteen years ago. www.craighospital.org .
Though last night was tough, today finds some encouraging signs. He has been able to respond to stimulus causing his toes to curl. The paralysis has lowered to about navel level. He seems to have regained some slight sensation in his right leg. Results of blood and spinal fluid tests also seem encouraging.
I will continue to keep in touch with him and will pass along news as warranted so as to not have EVERYONE contacting him all the time. He seems remarkably positive and upbeat this morning. Keep them in your thoughts and please live YOUR life as though this could happen to you tomorrow!"
Dean Travis Clarke Executive Editor

An Update on his situation....I sure hope he recovers from this. pretty scary how it came out of seemingly nowhere.]

Old 05-20-2009, 08:04 PM
Dominant Buck

Fred Bear operated in a different time period. I wouldn't do alot of the things he did, but then again I wasn't hunting in the beginning of modern archery either. Tred Barta is doing all this in the 2000s
What does a different time period have to do with ANYTHING? Tred's leveled that playing field. Wood is wood, Trevor.

he captures it all on film to show to the nation....boasting about it constantly.
Good thing Bear didn't have a TVcamera on all his hunts.........or he'd be chastised like Tred (apparently).

I've never heard him boast RE: his shooting prowess. If you feel like his stating that he does it the hard way is "boasting", then .....like I said.....the issue lies within. It's simply the truth.

Godspeed Tred.

Old 05-20-2009, 11:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Best wishes for a speedy recovery...
Old 05-21-2009, 02:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Trevor:

If you knew the history of Fred Bear (arguably the most revered hunter of all time) you'd probably have to say the same thing about him, too.

BTW....Fred did it the hard way, too. If that threatens you, it's your issue.
Fred Bear was never hypocritical about his hunting like Tred.
Fred would take long shots, but would never claim he hunted inside of 20 yds, had to be there to shoot and thing fling at distances nearly 3 times that.
He was by most accounts a very good shot as well and competed successfully in field archery up to 80 yds
Tred will spend half his self documentary telling you what he will do and the other half doing the opposite.

While I have no use for the cartoon character he plays, I sincerely wish him a full and speedy recovery.

Steve
Old 05-21-2009, 03:18 AM
Dominant Buck

He really gets under you guys skin that much, huh?

Would it bother you if Lebron and Kobe both boasted they were the best two players in the league? It's true. Why would it?

His shot selection hasn't always been stellar (nor has ANYONE'S who's been doing this for a while). But...bottom line....HE DOES DO IT THE HARD WAY....and that absolutely irritates the hell out of (seemingly) a LOT of compound shooters (most trad guys love his quest, if not him too).

Even with his recent paralyzation as the topic.....the insecurities seep into threads. I would say I'm amazed, but I'm not.
Old 05-21-2009, 04:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

I never have much to contribute to most of the arguments/debates on here. It’s the same with the ongoing debate on Tred Barta, especially since I don't know who he is other than what I've read on here. In fact, the photo posted in this thread is the first time I've seen his face. I just know that I am sorry that this happened to him, I hope he beats this thing and I wish him the best.

Old 05-21-2009, 05:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

I would love to jump into this "debate" not specifically of the Man (as I don't know anything about him, except what I've read on similiar threads), but about some of the points made from "both sides".

However, I will refrain from that in this thread. To me this was an update on a Fellow Hunter. A man who suffered an injury that no one would wish on anyone..on that we agree.

Let's stick to well wishes and prayers..and debate ethics and methods else-where. As a Celebrity in the hunting community, it's just possible this thread gets his attention, from some friend, associate or colleague. The message we want to get out is..Get well Tred, we as a community are pulling for you!
Old 05-21-2009, 05:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GR8atta2d

I would love to jump into this "debate" not specifically of the Man (as I don't know anything about him, except what I've read on similiar threads), but about some of the points made from "both sides".

However, I will refrain from that in this thread. To me this was an update on a Fellow Hunter. A man who suffered an injury that no one would wish on anyone..on that we agree.

Let's stick to well wishes and prayers..and debate ethics and methods else-where. As a Celebrity in the hunting community, it's just possible this thread gets his attention, from some friend, associate or colleague. The message we want to get out is..Get well Tred, we as a community are pulling for you!
You're absolutely right, Bob.

Quick Reply: Tred Barta Paralyzed

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.