Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Shooting thru mesh

Old 05-17-2009, 07:31 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Shooting thru mesh

Jeff, as usual you disect evrything I , and most ever post.. The original question was the ability to shoot thru mesh, not that you despise blinds and anyone hunting from them are doing so against your will. I have taken two birds at 15-20 yrds with a blind ( shot thru small removed mesh window), and yes, have had deer cross within 20 yards, not once looking, or even acting on edge around them. I naturaly conceal my ground blind with branches, etc...as seen in my turkey setup above.

Without a picture or holding your hand while taking you there, you might agree that this is my ONLY option to get into his "safe" zone for a 20-30 yrd bow kill. Literally I would need to wade through knee hide standing water with who knows what is at the bottom other than logs and stumps. Then its getting up into about 5 acres of small spplings where he is bedding and calling home in the evenings.

I have MANY climbers, hangers, and ladder stands, but would be useless to take them into this environment; hence my question of shooting through mesh. I personally have not done it with a bow, but have with buckshot.

I only see one way to get in there before sunup and take him....to me a blind not only hides movement in the blind, but has a certain amount of scent protection as well. I guess the success stories of giant bucks being taken from a blind does not encourage you;however I appreciate your input, but in this situation, your luck or ratio means squat to me because I have scouted (last year) and visited this place over the weekend. My only worry is once I lay him down is getting him out!

Thanks again for the input, but somehow figured you would apply your two cents worth. HNI would not be the same without your comments?
Old 05-17-2009, 07:59 PM
Dominant Buck

Still fail to see how using your words (where you were attempting to make a point) is "dissecting". But, I digress.

You have another option. Lose the blind, totally....and quit worrying about the mesh. You just don't wanna hear it (which is why I said....if you just wanna hunt out of a blind, have at it).

Believe me...............I have NO DOUBT you've been in there!
Old 05-18-2009, 09:32 AM
Fork Horn

Hoyt, Back to your original question. yes, you will be fine shooting thru the mesh. Set up a target out to maybe 30 yards or so and send an arrow thru it. Nothing like some first hand reassurance. As for the blind, I brush mine in and have it set up about 3 weeks before season and have had deer walk right past it. The deer in your area and their temperament toward disturbances are the ones that will tell you how to set your stands up not me or anyone else on this forum.
Old 05-18-2009, 09:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

I agree! I have good luck out of Blinds hunting Deer, both Whitetail and Mule Deer.

I prefer to hunt out of a Treestand but sometimes we don't have a choice, and you gotta do what you gotta do!

Dan
Old 05-18-2009, 04:03 PM
Typical Buck

You hit the nail on the head Dan, "sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do"! I have pondered on how to get this brute since seeing him last season come out and get a drink, unfortunately I was 30 feet up a poplar and he was 100 yards away on the other side of the swamp/creek. I bought the Primos Eclipse this year for turkey season and with that buck in the back of my mind.

I wouldnt dare attempt to stalk, or be on the ground as Jeff said in his rant, because this guy is definately a wall hanger, possibly 160-180" and didnt survive this long by being stupid. The terrain wouldnt allow you to be anything but be 100% concealed, and within bow range the blind is the only solution I can come up with.

It just had me wondering what my Rages would do with the mesh, or should I open one just enough to shoot above it instead of through it. Im guarantted only one attempt at this brute and dont want to ruin it with a premature opening of the Rage. I just cannot get the accuracy with fixed BH's like I can with the Rage.

Im restringing my bow this year and will be calling you soon, I like that suppressor. I had another question for ya. Im using the Hostage (two seasons) and replaced my brushes last year. Is it true that you need to go with the Hostage pro to shoot blazers (clearance wise)?
Old 05-18-2009, 04:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

You will have a tad more clearance with the Hostage Pro.

IMO I would not chance shooting Rages through mesh. If I were going to use them I'd have a clear hole I could shoot through.

Dan
Old 05-19-2009, 01:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

i had the same question. my granddad just bought a blind with shoot through mesh and i didnt know if my rages would expand from hitting the mesh. if they would i was going to go some muzzy's for blind hunting