Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Arrow length question

Old 04-18-2009, 04:22 PM
Dominant Buck

Default Arrow length question

I have 20 expensive carbon arrows but a very cheap bow..
My arrow are 31 inches long..
My draw is 30 inches ..I'm 6 foort 3..
I'd like to upgrade to a better bow...
I use the bear claw quick release..

If I bought a new 30 inch draw bow...are the odds..that I can still use the same 6075 Carbon Terminator arrows that I already have?
This is the release I use..

Thanks
Chuck7
My birthday is coming up and I got a few hundred saved for a better bow..
Old 04-18-2009, 04:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Arrow length question

You arrows should be just fine. If the new bow is that much more powerful you can always trim a little length off of the nock end of your arrows to stiffen the dynamic spine and enable them to fly correctly out of the new bow. Get the new bow and enjoy it with your arrows .
Old 04-18-2009, 05:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Don't worry Chuck, those are some fairly stiff arrows. With most setups it's common to shoot an arrow that's about 1 1/2" shorter than their draw length so you'll probablly be in the neighborhood of 28 1/2" when your done. Looking at the carbon express spine chart you should be good up to about a 75# bow at that length and there's not much need to go over a 60# draw for the deer at Green Swamp.

What kind of bows are you looking at? I'm not going to buy a new bow this year but I'm constantly looking as if I were, just in case I win the lottery. Since I'm getting close to 50 years old and I wake up with new aches and pains everyday, Ive been looking into getting a bow that'll adjust from 40-50#. The Katera's are super smooth and really fast, more than plenty for our Florida deer andI hear that the AlphaMax is even better. My hunting buddy just bought a Bowtech Captain that's 40-50#, at 50# he's shooting 35 fps faster than my 70# Justice.
Old 04-18-2009, 11:40 PM
Dominant Buck

Thanks for asking Michael,
Because I do need some advice..I'ma decent sht but I'm shooting a bow that's not much after 25 yds..and is too long about 46 inches axel to axel.It's and old Darden with about 190 FPS...it was given to me..I have about 500.00 worth of assessories on a super cheap bow..[&o]I hate the thought of buying all new assessories so I'd like a bow ....Mine is presently set at about 60 pound..It's an older bow so only 80% let off..my groups at 20 yds are about 3 inches..I'd like something I can get groups at 3 inches at 30 yds..At 30 yds my 190 FPS bow drops about 6 foot..[&o]so I'm limited to a 20 yd maybe 25 yd shot..

A.Shorter than what I got..one you can shoot from the sitting positin in your stand.

B. With speed about 250 FPS ....I've seen those hi power bows make carbons explode..I don't want nothing like that.

C. I can shoot my 31 inch arrows.

D. One that is simple..I hate complicated stuff

E. One that is reliable..I don't want to exchange limbs etc.

F. One that is quiet when you pull it back..

G. One that needs little adjustment from 20yds to 30 yds.

What brand would you reccomend?
Thanks Michael.
Old 04-19-2009, 02:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Chuck7

Thanks for asking Michael,
Because I do need some advice..I'ma decent sht but I'm shooting a bow that's not much after 25 yds..and is too long about 46 inches axel to axel.It's and old Darden with about 190 FPS...it was given to me..I have about 500.00 worth of assessories on a super cheap bow..[&o]I hate the thought of buying all new assessories so I'd like a bow ....Mine is presently set at about 60 pound..It's an older bow so only 80% let off..my groups at 20 yds are about 3 inches..I'd like something I can get groups at 3 inches at 30 yds..At 30 yds my 190 FPS bow drops about 6 foot..[&o]so I'm limited to a 20 yd maybe 25 yd shot..

A.Shorter than what I got..one you can shoot from the sitting positin in your stand.

B. With speed about 250 FPS ....I've seen those hi power bows make carbons explode..I don't want nothing like that.

C. I can shoot my 31 inch arrows.

D. One that is simple..I hate complicated stuff

E. One that is reliable..I don't want to exchange limbs etc.

F. One that is quiet when you pull it back..

G. One that needs little adjustment from 20yds to 30 yds.

What brand would you reccomend?
Thanks Michael.
Chuck,
You should be a 30" draw, and what length arrow, tip weight, etc, will be dependent upon what draw weight you intend on pulling. You can look at the classifieds on Archerytalk and find some really good deals and pick up something a bit more modern, and build around that. If you've not yet shot a parallel limb bow, get in a shop and shoot one!!!! They are absolutely amazing in comparison to the OLD stuff that many of us shot for years.

Here's a pretty good deal, all set up, and if you back it out to say 63#, it would be fine with your arrows....
http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=899185

here's another, it's made by Bowtech for Gander Mountain....
http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=904592

But there are some great newer bows available at relatively reasonable prices, you just have to look. I've bought my last 5 bows on AT, and every one has been a good deal and a good bow.
Old 04-19-2009, 02:53 AM
Boone & Crockett

I got a great deal on a used bow right here in the classifieds and can't wait to spend this season testing it out..So I would check around Chuck and see what's out there and also if not sure as stated above go to an archery shop and try a few out. With the economy the way it is you may end up getting a good deal there as well. I also have been shooting a 31 inch draw but the problem on this isI was self taught how to shoot! With the newer bow and a quick exchange of wisdom from the bow shop I am now currently shooting 29 1/2 inch arrows.. My big old bear bow is being laid to rest for a while why I get used to this new bow.. Still a longer bow than most but it will fit in my hard bow case without backing it off.. Shooting at just over 300 feet per second and shooting some really tight groups.. I do have to get myself some new arrows though. Those 2419s and 145 grain broadheads are just a bit heavey for what I will be using this year..
Old 04-19-2009, 10:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

My suggestion would be for you to run over to Bass Pro and try out the Diamond Black Ice. It's smooth as any bow out there and it's a single cam so its simple. Every year there are lots of new bows with all the new gimmicks, but the Black Ice has been around unchanged for years because it's a great bow.

http://www.diamondarchery.com/bow_blackice.php

Old 04-19-2009, 10:28 AM
Dominant Buck

Thanks all,
My son and I plan to drive to Bass Pro..It's only 40 miles away..My birthday is in June..I'll bring a couple of arrows as well...There is also a wonderful archery shop 25 miles away..The Arrowhead..I may try tha tooo.

YIKES..I just read the review..they have a new manager..I won't be going to the Arrowhead,...[&o]
[blockquote]An AAS story: I went to AAS recently with a friend & my 8 yr old son. I wanted to buy my son a bow & buy us a dozen arrows each. I also had a new bow to get set up. A staff guy walked up & took the new bow from us. He then took a phone call that ended up in a screaming match. After he hung up, he took his anger out on us. He complained about the bow & everything else that was wrong with customers & the archery business. All of the staff heard this tirade & were shaking their heads & rolling their eyes. My friend & I have purchased at least 10 bows at this shop in the last 15 years, but in the last year or so things have changed (new owners?). But back to the abuse: He was rude the entire time that he worked on the bow. Then he handed it back with the peepsight unadjusted, & told us to go shoot it. The bow was not ready to shoot, & I had listened to this guy long enough. I walked away & asked another person who the guy was & she said "PRO Staff". Then the belligerent guy showed up & screamed, "If you have something to say, say it to me! I am the mgr!" I slammed my hands on the counter & said, "ENOUGH! I am a customer & do not deserve to be treated this way. The whole time we've been here you've been angry and abusive. I have had enough of you. This is going to stop right now. I just want out of here." Weapons everywhere & this guy was screaming like a maniac. I asked her for the owner's name & phone#. She gave me his name & cell#. (I called & left a msg 3 days ago & haven't gotten a return call yet.) At this point my son (normally a tough kid) was disappointed (no new bow) & afraid & crying. I kept holding my credit card out trying to pay for the inept setup & leave (without the bow and the 3 dozen arrows). The guy turned and was walking away when I asked him why he was being so hostile to us, & he said, "90% of my customers are A** H***s. The woman at the front desk apologized, handed me my card back (no charge), & just shook her head. Crazy experience. I need a new bow shop. Help.[/blockquote]