Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Limited budget--judge these options

Old 04-07-2009, 12:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Limited budget--judge these options

I'm wanting to try bowhunting but this year, budget will be limited. I've seen several used bows in archery shops in the area for $100-200, one of them a Browning Summit II for $125. I noticed I could order a PSE Silverhawk package for $120-135. I'm not looking for incredible performance, just a bow that gets me playing in the game. By the way, I'll be hunting deer from behind blinds I make from brush and other natural materials. Tree stands are not an option for me.

Would you go the used bow or Silverhawk route? I'm not glued to the Browning Summit II, but consider it a strong contender.
Old 04-08-2009, 03:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Limited budget--judge these options

I'm an old PSE fan...
Old 04-08-2009, 04:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well any way you can get into archery is a good start! You will most likely upgrade later anyway! Go for it! Watch ebay.. You might be able to get a better bow then those for the same price!
Old 04-08-2009, 04:46 AM

I was in the same spot as u not a lot of money.i went too my local shops and found a big horn by reflex.it's made by hoyt was a great deal for 499 set up.has been a good bow for me.because it is adjustable for different hunter.very easy to change draw and pounds.so bow can be sold after u get new one.but i have been hunting with mine for 2 years now and love it.shot first turkey with it this year.good luck on finding what u want.and welcome to bowhunting.
Old 04-08-2009, 12:34 PM
Fork Horn

i would definetely go with looking on ebay alot of good deals can be found there. probably at a better price per quality than the ones at the shops
Old 04-08-2009, 01:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

The main thing is to get involved and have Fun!!

Dan
Old 04-08-2009, 05:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

look at ebay and craigslist in ur area
Old 04-09-2009, 03:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Never discount Archerytalk classifieds either, check out some of these deals....

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=896059
Stinger and Brutes are both fair bows, superior to what you're considering.

I bought two bows off of this ad yesterday, and there are still some good deals left.
http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=896468

Just a reference to how well that PSE woud sell on AT....
http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=881910&page=2

This is also a great deal...
http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=896532

Just some other options to consider, and I would say any of those I mentioned would be a great place to start as a new archer, and a far better group of options than the two you've mentioned.

Old 04-09-2009, 04:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

If you are just getting into it, I'd stick with something you can buy from a local archery shop. You can start with any bow in your price range but as a newbie, the most important part will be getting one set up for you! Your draw length, your draw weight...the bow shop gives you a resource to help you get everything tuned to you. Buying even a better bow from an unknown source limits you on accuracy (at this point) based on your (unknown) set-up. You'd have to figure all these variables out on your own.

Start to forge a relationship with a bow shop now, it'll make the sport more fun and easier to pick-up, without frustration. If you do choose to upgrade,to a newer bow, laterthe relationship with the bow-shop will help you long down the road!
Old 04-11-2009, 07:41 PM

I am in the same boat you are.My son and I are just starting to hunt and fish so we are buying everything on a budget.I found a PSE Nova with a whisker biscuit rest,fiber optic sights,quiver,stabilizer,carbon arrows,broadheads and more for $50.There are deals out there,but you have to keep an eye out for them. So I would say hold out for a good used bow.