Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Left eye dominant shooting a right handed bow

Old 04-07-2009, 07:50 AM
Fork Horn

Default Left eye dominant shooting a right handed bow

My whole life i was raised shooting a right handed bow/gun...I am currently 18 and over the past couple years i found out i was left eye dominant instead of right. Because of this it limits me from shooting with both eyes open. Whats your opinion on purchaseing a new bow in the future? should i stay with the right handed bow or convert to left handed?
Old 04-07-2009, 08:19 AM
Banned

Default RE: Left eye dominant shooting a right handed bow

JMO if you want to switch to left handed shooting, switch everything you do to left handed - and that means EVERYTHING from shooting guns that way to throwing a ball to pouring a cup of coffee .... see, its my opinion that your MIND has compensates, adjusted and coordinated the way you do everything left eye dominant and right handed ......... why change only one thing you do to the other way?

Some people swear by it ....... me? I shoot traditional but whenI did shoot compounds i was strong left eye dominant, shot right handed, peep, both eyesopened.

Closing an eye and you lose depth perception, clarity and field of view.

Old 04-07-2009, 08:25 AM
Fork Horn

I am in the same boat, left eye dominant shooting right handed. I decided not to switch to left handed. In my opinion, if you are shooting really well right handed, i am not sure how much you will gain if you switch to left. I have taken deer with 1 eye shut rifle and bow and I am just not conviced that all that relearning will be worth my efforts.

Yes, both eyes open does give you an advantage with your peripheral vision, but it is not necessarily needed. Plus, even if you do switch to shooting left handed, it still doesn't mean that you will be able to shoot with both eyes open. Some people just aren't capable of focusing the peep and sight with both eyes open.

Old 04-07-2009, 09:01 AM
Spike

I actually have the same exact problem, expect im 19 . I just stick with righty, its worked for the past 10 years! For bow I actually use a red dot sight, so theres no peep and it lets even me shoot with both eyes open its worth a shot!
Old 04-07-2009, 09:41 AM
Banned

but it is not necessarily needed.
trying driving with one eye closed .......
Old 04-07-2009, 10:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: stealthycat II

My neighbor only has one eye, he wears an eye patch. He drives all of the time. Cars, campers, small dump truck, SUV.
Old 04-07-2009, 10:08 AM
Banned

brucelanthier I had a pretty good friend with one eye gone - its not easy, because of the difference in monocular vs binocualr vision

some people shoot one eye closed - sure. but doing it means they're losing some stuff .... I mean, you can finger shoot a new Mathews Monster off the shelf with woods arrows I suppose and cant it at 20 degrees ..... don't mean you're maximizing what you have though does it?
Old 04-07-2009, 12:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

For the average or even above-average archer or bowhunter? Close your left eye... you'll be fine.
Old 04-07-2009, 01:39 PM
mez
Nontypical Buck

I'd stick with the RH bowand close the left eye. That is how I shoot.

You can also practice a lot and overcome the eye dominance. I don't think it would be much more difficult to retrain your eye than to switch to left hand shooting. Unless you are are looking for open or professional shooter level accuracy no reason to switch IMO.
Old 04-07-2009, 01:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: stealthycat II

Luckily we aren't driving a car. we're shooting a bow.
Close the left eye. trying to switch could produce some uneeded work. if your shooting fine this way then why change.

Quick Reply: Left eye dominant shooting a right handed bow

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.