Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Have you ever dropped a deer in it' s tracks?

Old 04-23-2003, 02:22 PM

Default RE: Have you ever dropped a deer in it' s tracks?

Two years ago, I shot a buck at 17 and he fell at 19yds. He barely even kicked. I reflected on the shot and was thinking it wasn' t one I' d take again. My brother and his " good ole boy" friend (both gun hunters) were helping out at the meat pole and I explained why it wasn' t a good shot to take and they thought I was nuts. " Now you know what that shot will do in case you ever have that look at a trophy deer, you know you can take him" or something like that. They thought it was great. I said there was too much room for error with the shot.

I think shot placement is something that sets the bowhunters apart. I' d also say it' s up to us to lead the way in this department.

whitetails & muskies- congrats on the kill. Sometimes, " the best shot you' ve got" isn' t one that your concience will be satisfied with taking. Having the skills, confidence, and competency and using the patience to get a " perfect shot" is what I think bowhunting is all about. IMO

-Chief

Old 04-23-2003, 02:34 PM

I had 2 last year. The first was a beautiful doe almost straight down from the stand, the spitfire went through her spine and straight down slicing the inside edge of each lung, through the heart and just made it through the breast bone and hide to stop about 2" out of the deer. She was done instantly.

The second was a seven point at 25 yards in NY. It was 1 of those shots that is just perfect, he is completely broadside head down eating acorns, perfectly framed in a clear window. I picked the " spot" and didn' t even realize I had touched off the release and watched the arrow all the way to him. He raised his head for a second and looked around and didn' t even flinch after the arrow zipped though him, then lowered his head to eat another acorn. If I wasn' t looking at my bright red arrow sticking in the dirt on the other side of him I would have sworn I' d missed. He raised his head chewing on acorns and then just kind of tipped over and let out 1 last breath. The shortest bloodtrail I' ve ever had on a non spine hit deer.
Old 04-23-2003, 02:49 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 04-23-2003, 03:24 PM
JRW
Nontypical Buck

I had it happen again last season. Not something I ever try for, but I' ve gotten unlucky enough to have done it a few times.

When I shot she tried to duck, but wasn' t fast enough. The shot rolled her, and then she bawled and crawled about 20 yards down the embankment. When I climbed down to finish her off, she didn' t try to get away. She curled up, looked at me with those big brown eyes, and her whole face started quivering. ' Bout tore my guts out to see.

I put the second arrow through her lungs, turned around, and took a walk to clear my head. It wasn' t a pretty experience.
Old 04-23-2003, 03:35 PM

I should have stated this b4...I am in no way trying to brag up this situation, as I agree that double lung or heart is the most humane shot. I guess I was fortunate enough to end it VERY quickly for this buck and did not have to witness the other examples mentioned.

Old 04-23-2003, 03:39 PM

I hit my first deer, a doe, in the neck at 30 yards. She dropped, and I quickly shot her through the lungs. I haven' t dropped a deer since, but I don' t intend to anymore, as to me it means that I didn' t hit where I was aiming.

Old 04-23-2003, 03:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

No I haven' t and by the looks of it I hope I never do!
Old 04-23-2003, 04:47 PM

did this year but not a spine shot. had a good clean broadside shot at 40 yards.Got clean pass through deer just looked at the ground where the arrow hit .stood there a minute then just laid down,never took a step. The odd thing is there was three other deer with her and they never even looked up I watched them for anouther 30 minutes
Old 04-23-2003, 06:06 PM
Typical Buck

I had alway considered that an " ideal shot" because of what I had seen on TV and on videos. But the other day I saw a little bit different of a shot on video and it didn' t look so pleasent, from 100 yds...

I' m thinking that with the size of the animal that the emotions would increase for a person to (not cause it' s logical, it just seems like it would affect us more), but I got spine shot on a rabbit one time with a high powered bb gun and it wasn' t a pretty site at all. He fell and then crawled with his front legs for about 10-15 yds...
Old 04-23-2003, 07:30 PM

My last 3 deer I have taken in archery I have spined! One doe I went for the spine the others were not on purpose! My 8-pointer I had come to 20 yards & I had to lean out of my stand & shoot under a branch. I almost stepped off the platform. Anyway I shot under him. He turned & ran about 20 yards back the trail he came from and stopped. He then started to work a scrape!! I could' nt believe my eyes when I seen him do that[]. After about a minute he started back up the trail to where I missed him. When he got to the same spot I held a little higher & released! My arrow hit right where I held it in the spine. I quicklly put a 2nd arrow through the heart. When I missed low the first time I thought he was farther than 20 yards. That' s why I held higher the 2nd time when he was really 20 yards out. I think that when I almost stepped off the platform & sooting under the branch & the adrenaline rush is why I missed!!! Anyway like I said my last three were spine shots. I had a few more over the years.

Quick Reply: Have you ever dropped a deer in it' s tracks?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.