Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bowhunting pack suggestions?

Old 02-16-2009, 01:16 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Bowhunting pack suggestions?

How do you wear a backpack and a treestand at the same time and when you get up in the tree do you take stuff out and hang in the tree like calls,and binos?
Old 02-16-2009, 01:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

For an everyday hunting pack I like my cabelas whitetail pack. It's got two "buddy lock" clips one on each strap, holds a lot of gear but isn't real heavy or bulky. I also have a cabelas scout pack which is very nice but just doesn't hold what I need, but it may for you. Badlands packs are super nice and I have the diablo which I use if I need something for cooler weather or all day hiking comfort.
Old 02-16-2009, 05:02 AM
Fork Horn

Adam
Like someone else said above: Lay out all the stuff you normally take into the woods, then figure out what equipment you actually use. Now if you are going into unfamilar land all the time, you will need some things that most people do not need (survival gear). Once you know what you have to have with you, it's easier to get the right sized pack. I always use a large fannypack with shoulder straps, like other guys have said. Get one that you can strap other gear to also. No need to put a heavy coat and bibs inside your pack, just lash it to the outside. If rain is a concern on the walk in, you can add a rainfly to the outside too. Once you get the gear down to the fanny pack size, you will find it easier to strap on your stand and such, or to strap your fanny pack onto the stand. Good luck, BTW, I just picked up a nice one from bruzergear on ebay for $40.
Dandbuck
Old 02-16-2009, 05:30 AM
Typical Buck

Badlands Superday is a very good pack. Lash your bow to the back of it for long hikes in the dark, even has a holster for your sidearm. Very comfortable too.