Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Catch And Release

Old 01-30-2009, 04:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Catch And Release

Rob, when was that? I don't recall?
Old 01-30-2009, 04:28 PM
Fork Horn

I practice "kill optional" every time I go hunting. Just because you didn't kill something that day or thattime out doesn't make it unsuccessful.I think it's really cool having a whitetail in really close on you and they having no idea you there. It's my decision at that time to shoot or not.Some of the very best hunts I've been on havebeen ones that I have decided not to shoot.
Old 01-30-2009, 04:46 PM
Fork Horn

The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.

-Finn Aagard
Old 01-30-2009, 04:48 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: Ben / PA

Rob, when was that? I don't recall?
Ben, here is a blog Justin did about it. It was called the World Hunting Association and was trying to primetime hunting with tranquilizer arrows. They pushed it like it was the next NASCAR even. They even had sponsors but when sportsmen and women across the industry pushed the sponsors with negative feedback, they started backing out. http://www.whitetaildeer.com/fieldjournal/fieldjournal_detail.aspx?nID=394
Old 01-30-2009, 05:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

I guess killing is always optional to the hunter and I pass dozens of animals a year.

If killing was not an option thoughI would not Hunt. I enjoy the kill, I Love the meat, and when I kill a trophy I want it on the Wall

Dan
Old 01-30-2009, 05:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Wow, scary.
Old 01-30-2009, 05:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

I play a funny game in the house similar to catch and release. I stole this from a buddy so here goes......My wife walks around the house with her hands on her head sticking out like antlers. I put a stalk on her and I catch her and minutes later release her. For some reasonI do not have the same feelings as when I am in the woods. Sorry Jimmy
Old 01-30-2009, 06:50 PM

That is kinda funny this season my neibor came over after I got in from hunting and asked a dumb ? me being a smart but sometimes made a quick reply.Here is the ?
Did you catch any deers
my replyLMAO
hunting is not a catch and release and deer is plural.
I wont say what he jestured.I would say if it were a catch and release I would catch allot more just to get a better look at what is around.
Old 01-30-2009, 08:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

I did this post to spark your thinking processes on your take of your hunting. A lot of people I know would never venture out into the woods if they couldnt kill something. Its plain and simple like that for them. I personally fall into the group that says Anytime I'm in the animals comfort zone and It dosent even know I exist. Then thats good enough for me... Now I can take it to the next level and send a G-5 at it and deflate its lungs for it but thats a different story. I just wanted to get the creative juices flowing around with you guys and see what would come out of it.

Ryan.
Old 01-30-2009, 08:26 PM

Just because you got within range and "outsmarted" the animal, doesn't mean you already sealed the deal. Getting the shot off once in range is an equally difficult half of the process. Taking a picture of an animal within bowrange would be MUCH easier than getting a shot off with the bow and making a clean kill.

And to answer, no. I wouldn't continue hunting if there wasn't a kill. The kill is king. It signifies victory. Success. That all the hard work finally came together. That you CAN do it. The meat is always awesome, the memories priceless...and like Dan said, if I kill a trophy....I want it on the wall, and not in the shape of an 8x10.

Quick Reply: Catch And Release

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.