Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Rubber boots or leather for scent control?

Old 01-27-2009, 06:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Rubber boots or leather for scent control?

I have a WIDE forefoot with a HIGH arch, and I don't think I could find a rubber boot that will give me the support I need. Most of my boots are actually a leather/cordura combination, and one pair is all cordura outers. I rarely have much issue with scent being a problem, but when the boots come out of the field, they go back in the box, and I also wear anti-microbial socks or X-scent socks, which helps keep the foot odor under control.
Old 01-27-2009, 06:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've honestly not seen a bit of difference, other than comfort. I have a pair of Alpha's and have worn them for one full season. I did not like them a bit, but I wanted to see if there was any advantage.

This year I wore my Irish Setter leather boots. Now, I did scrub them several times and then stored them in a box full of fresh earth for a couple months after I bought them.

I saw no difference in spooking deer. I had a small buck come in under my stand one morning and sniff around, then walked behind me down the same direction I walked in that morning. He sniffed my tracks a couple times, then continued about his business, never spooking. That tells me that rubber boots are not neccessary. Take care of your leathers and keep them smelling like dirt and you'll be fine.
Old 01-27-2009, 07:09 AM
Fork Horn

I always wore rubber until this hunting season. My feet always froze in rubber. Even in myLaCrosse 1600. Iswitched to Cabelas Inferno 2000. More comfortable and warmer. Funny, I got my buck the 1st day wearing them.
Old 01-27-2009, 09:36 AM
Fork Horn

rubber boots are amazing but have one downside when walkin long distances then sittin in a stand in near zero temps for long periods of time
Old 01-27-2009, 09:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

I still have a pair of Mickey Mouse boots. They rarely see action anymore, those things are HEAVY!
Old 01-27-2009, 10:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: buttonbuckmaster

I still have a pair of Mickey Mouse boots. They rarely see action anymore, those things are HEAVY!
Yep! but they are warm!

I don't wear mine anymore either

Dan
Old 01-27-2009, 03:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Wow i really need to buy some rubber boots based on these results
Old 01-27-2009, 04:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Buy two pair.....one for the early season 200 insulate and 1200 for the cold days.
Old 01-27-2009, 04:45 PM
Fork Horn

I have a pair of Alphas and love them!! Use to have some Mickeys also. Anyone here tried the Elimitrax?
Old 01-27-2009, 04:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ive got a pair of Danner leathers with scent-lok, just bought them a few weeks ago. Didnt buy them for the scent-lok, only because they were on a good sale. Anyone have any expirence with the scent-lok working or not???

Quick Reply: Rubber boots or leather for scent control?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.