Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

FINALLY.....HE'S ALIVE

Old 01-25-2009, 02:28 PM
Typical Buck

Default FINALLY.....HE'S ALIVE

For those of you who remember on Nov. 13th a hit a big 9pt in Chester county pa. I searched for 2 days but didn't turn up anything. Well after a month he finally showed up again. He had survived shotgun season and still looked to be in excellent physical condition. I saw him again 2 weeks ago so as long as he made it through the last few days of late archery I will be chasing him again next year.

You can actually see in this picture where I hit him high in the shoulder. He was slightly quartering towards me and I think i tried to hug the shoulder too much and ended up pulling the shot left. Also I was pretty sure that he dropped a little at the shot which might explain why the wound is so high. I think i need to practice more before next year so this does not happen again.

Do you think this wound will have any long term affects on his health, and will it affect his antler growth next year?

Old 01-25-2009, 02:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: FINALLY.....HE'S ALIVE

I wish I had this kind of closure regarding an encounter from 2008. Cool to see him alive. As far as effecting his long term health. If he has survived this far, he should be ok. Antler growth for next year is anybodies guess. Keep us updated.
Old 01-25-2009, 02:53 PM
Fork Horn

u think you would have broke his neck?
Old 01-25-2009, 03:29 PM
Typical Buck

I don't think he'll have any long term problem myself .He looks to be in great shape, still has a lot of weight on him .He'll be there next year.
Old 01-25-2009, 03:52 PM
Fork Horn

Nice story. That has to make you feel wonderful. Shoot and shoot often in hopes that you will be prepared for that next encounter.
Old 01-25-2009, 04:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

He looks like a very healthy deer imo. Its cool that you got to see the end result. Maybe next year you will finish him off
Old 01-25-2009, 04:51 PM
Fork Horn

That pic is more than a month old, I dont know how cold of a winter you guys have had (We had a week of subzero to -30 degree weather here) that might have a been a bit too much for a wounded guy. He looked good in the pic and I hope for your sake that he is alive for you to get this next season...
Old 01-25-2009, 04:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

I dont see a wound on the shoulder I see a wound on the neck, I hate those kinds of shots. Did you get too excited and take a bad shot?
Old 01-26-2009, 10:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

I see the wound up in the neck area as well. If you aimed tight to the shoulder, and if that is the wound in the neck area, I would venture to say you probably peeked unknowingly at the shot, indicated by the 11 o'clock impact area in regards to the shoulder. Either way, glad to hear he is still around. I remember reading your story when you couldn't find him.

Shane
Old 01-26-2009, 12:55 PM

Id say next year his right antler could be a little screwed up