Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Speed

Old 01-10-2009, 10:59 PM
Fork Horn

Default Speed

Why are so many against speed, I just do not understand it. I do understand that not everybody needs it or some can't obtain it ($, strength, handicap), but those who need it, why judge or say that it is nothing? I love it and I will share what I love about it not to convince anyone that speed is for them, but toshare the love
[ul][*]I enjoy 3D shooting[*]I love to target shoot at long distances 40-100yds[*]I can feel very comfortable with taking an animal at 40yds[*]Pass-throughs with large cutting diameter BHs[*]The sound[/ul]
Having speed is an advantage but not a necessity. If I designed a bow thatwas light, smooth, at 50#s, and 80% letoff, andwas 400fps, Imight have a few people interested inbuying it. Speed comes with a cost and somechoose to use and loveit. Don't be a hater, just share what you love about your setup for others to appreciate.

Old 01-10-2009, 11:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Speed

It isn't the speed,it is what it takes to obtain it.
Old 01-10-2009, 11:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think that if you can shoot it, why not use its advantages. I had a 101st and liked it alot. The speed never hurt me. Maybe it wasnt needed, but why not use it???

Derek
Old 01-11-2009, 08:50 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: TFOX

It isn't the speed,it is what it takes to obtain it.
Exactly right!
Old 01-11-2009, 08:53 AM

yeh I agree with TFOX..it's not the speed as much as it is the sacrifice you have to make to get it...Like I said, if you can shoot a fast bow well and be deadly, then go for it, but if you can't then swallow the pride and go with something more accurate.
Old 01-11-2009, 09:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

I don't feel like I have sacrificed anything to get the Speed my 82nd puts out.

Not all speed bows are created equal

I've shot more than a few!

Dan
Old 01-11-2009, 10:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

The guys hit the nail on the head with this one!

In my opinion, Speed is awesome! Nothing bad comes from speed! More energy=more penatration.. Animals can't jump the string as much etc.....

But, making a bow shoot comfortably with 350+ hasn't happened yet! If I could magically make my black ice shoot 400 fps. And change nothing, I would do it. I love all the PSE commercials about the x-force. "The smoothest Bow I have ever shot" BULLSH*T!!!!!!! Either your lying (because they pay for your hunts) or you have not shot very many bows! I shot one and it is fast as hell. But not smooth.

Faster bows to me equal one problem though...(my opinion) People are going to extend their range for taking animals. Not saying that it can't be done. Because we all know it can! However, the best part of bowhunting is the CLOSE ENCOUNTERS... That is the beauty of it. If I had a Bow that shot 500 fps.... and 1 pin out to 80-90 yds.. I still would not shoot a game animal at more than 50 yds... Point in case, I had a huge bull elk tearing the crap out of a tree 50 yds in front of me this year. Broadside, Perfect, I drew twice. But couldn't take the shot! I let him walk. I practice out to 60 yds regulary. But I truly love that animal to much to put the odds against me with a poor shot. If you hit a bull at 50 yds in the shoulder.. See ya, he is gone. Not worth it!
Old 01-11-2009, 10:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm not sure people are against speed. I'm sure not but, I'll also tell you no one NEEDS 350 fps. Sure its nice if you can acuarately shoot it. But you do not need that kind of speed. Your arrow will fly at half that speed to hunting distances no problem. It will kill animals just as dead. The advantages of the speed is the ability to not have to judge distance an if your off on your guess then its no big deal. The funny thing is most speed bow shooters also have lazer range finders and adjustable sights to dial in the distance so there realy isn't a need to judge to much.

The point is you don't realy need it. If you want it...thats cool....but you do not need it. What you need is a bow you can shoot acurately. No matter what the speed the arrow travels. 40 lbs is plenty to kill a deer with the right setup. Has been for years, even before compounds. So to say you need more than that isn't realy correct.

Besides speed seems to be the driving force behind new bow design. The first 250 fps bows were very unforgiving and hard to shoot. Now as technology has improved they have made 300 fps bows very nice to shoot. The advantage now is two things you can get higher KE from your arrows and/or you can shoot less weight and get the same results.

I think most people starting into archery (who can afford it) go the speed route and eventualy settle on the bow that isn't the newest fastest thing on the market but shoots great for them. Some of us have just done that long before the 350 mark.

Just my opinion of course.

Jason
Old 01-11-2009, 11:24 AM
Banned

ORIGINAL: MeanV2

I don't feel like I have sacrificed anything to get the Speed my 82nd puts out.

Not all speed bows are created equal

I've shot more than a few!

Dan
I agree as far as the 82nd goes. Nice draw cycle, long axle to axle...better draw than my Hoyt Trykon had and I just shot an Alpha Max and the draw cycle felt similiar but nearly as fast of a bow as the 82nd.I have to agree with Rob and Mean V...these 82nds are quite a bow and won't be leaving my lineup anytime soon. I spent the day yesterday shooting it 40 yds and I can really group tight with it.
Old 01-11-2009, 02:37 PM
dnm

Quick Reply: Speed

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.