Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Speed

Old 01-11-2009, 05:20 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Speed

ORIGINAL: Vabowman

Well like I said, if a guy can shoot a fast bow with deadly accuracy, then go for it...I never really was that great with a bow with a low brace height...I just freak when i see the BH going down to 5.5" just to get more speed. I know Meanv is a very dedicated hunter/archer and he has his set up the way he wants it and he is deadly with it, same with Rob and HCH, these guys understand what it takes to be great shots when shooting a fast bow..now you take a guy that is inexperienced and new to the game and he goes for the 360 fps bow....not good.
True Vab,

Even as a seasoned shooter, too many years of comp then I can remember, then and today I wouldn't purchase a bow with a 5.5" brace height no matter who the manufacturer is. I find it rather disheartening that a bow steps back to short brace height to achieve such speeds. The industry was proceeding in the other direction, real speeds with more than adequate brace height, smooth draws and recoil/noise free. That's a bow.

Oh yeah, it's made I know by several manuf. but why go to a wrist slapping 5.5" brace? Your right, there will be a ton of archers grabbing at it and just a hand few of those will be able to shoot it accurately. You then will see them for sale with the former owners looking for more brace height.
Old 01-11-2009, 05:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

The really short brace bows will be easier on the wrist than in years past due to the STS but they are still just as touchy.

The speed bows,even the low brace ones will bring about future technology to help us get those kinds of speeds out of higher brace bows in the future,just wait and see.

We were once only getting 330 out of 5 1/2" brace and years before that,even less.
Old 01-11-2009, 06:16 PM

Will I got ya...Rob and TFOX, that's what Im trying to get at, I mean are we going to lose the higher Brace eventually so that each bow company can get a leg up so to speak?? for the everyday deer hunter, not western or big dangerous game guys, are these bows going to be useful or are we going to see a fad fade away ?? or are they going to be the flagship for all companies?
Old 01-11-2009, 10:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

They will fade away,but there will be knowledge gained in the mean time imo that will yield faster,more forgiving bows in the future.
Old 01-11-2009, 11:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Speed is what every "half-fast" archer wants!!!! Seriously, if you could give me a bow with a nice comfortable smooth draw, reasonable weight, forgiving 7.5" or more BH, nice SOLID wall, silent release, and the ability to shoot a 450gr arrow 350fps, I'd say it's worth $1000, but even a SPEED demon like that ain't gonna shoot like a rifle. I believe a LOT of guys are looking for RIFLE type accuracy. In a perfect world, it would be great to have that, but it just AIN'T gonna happen. When compounds start shooting like rifles, then it will be time to start hunting with spears or atlatl's.
Old 01-12-2009, 05:46 AM
Super Moderator

Didn't read all the replies but as for 3D tournaments, if I were a serious shooter I'd be shooting faster arrows than for hunting. Being I shoot 3D mainly for fun and practice for hunting season I prefer to use my heavier hunting type arrows all year round.
Old 01-12-2009, 06:58 AM
Spike

I like speed, but without accuracy speed means nothing... I've shot for a lot of years..40+, started before there were compounds, when they came along ,I switched, shot them for 25 years, and for the last 3, I've shot a longbow of my own making, nothing wrong with compounds, they are a great weapon, I just get more enjoyment from my longbows, nothing hardly ever goes wrong, I can drop it, pick it up and keep on hunting, my speeds are 205-215, which is fine by me... and as far as the speed thing.. a seasoned stickbow shooter can get off 2-3 arrows to1 from a compound.... but it's the first one that counts.
Old 01-12-2009, 11:30 AM
Fork Horn

I like the speed bows, the 82nd was one of the other bows i considered before i got my admiral..i just liked the feel of the admiral better, and with 300 fps or close to it, its still plenty fast enough
Old 01-12-2009, 12:18 PM

ORIGINAL: niehenke

Why are so many against speed, I just do not understand it. I do understand that not everybody needs it or some can't obtain it ($, strength, handicap), but those who need it, why judge or say that it is nothing? I love it and I will share what I love about it not to convince anyone that speed is for them, but toshare the love
[ul][*]I enjoy 3D shooting[*]I love to target shoot at long distances 40-100yds[*]I can feel very comfortable with taking an animal at 40yds[*]Pass-throughs with large cutting diameter BHs[*]The sound[/ul]

Having speed is an advantage but not a necessity. If I designed a bow thatwas light, smooth, at 50#s, and 80% letoff, andwas 400fps, Imight have a few people interested inbuying it. Speed comes with a cost and somechoose to use and loveit. Don't be a hater, just share what you love about your setup for others to appreciate.
Actually, my Black Ice only shoots 254 fps and I would feel quite comfy taking one at 40 yards and I also do pretty well at 3d ranges too! That said however, I will be increasing it's speed performance to the 270 range later this year.
Old 01-12-2009, 01:07 PM

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer
Oh yeah, it's made I know by several manuf. but why go to a wrist slapping 5.5" brace? Your right, there will be a ton of archers grabbing at it and just a hand few of those will be able to shoot it accurately. You then will see them for sale with the former owners looking for more brace height.
And they'll learn just like we did and 20 years from now they'll be the ones here trying to educate others to their mistakes of the past, some will listen, others won't. And the wheel keeps turning 'round and 'round.

Quick Reply: Speed

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.