Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bowhunting Camels?

Old 01-10-2009, 01:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Bowhunting Camels?

First of all, the camels that let the guys in this video walk right up to them were already shot. Secondly, killingthe surplus of camels is a necessary part of wildlife management in Australia, not unlike killing feral pigs here (study the subject matter a little). Goats, dingo, water buffalo, donkeys,wild brambies (horses) feral cattle (shrub bulls), and even roos are hunted in Australia. As are the hordes of rabbits and hares which decimate the natural vegetation. They are all free ranging...I would think you blokes would salute our Aussie bowhunters! Once again, we show our arrogance. Ten bucks says not one of you have tried it, and yet you're willing to condemn those that consider this great sport. I guess the entire world should hunt nothing but white-tailed deer?

It gets old!

I have no problem with bow hunting camels if it's legal. But that video was not about "hunting" camels. When you hunt a "wild" animal you have to overcome that animals natural senses and get close enough for a killing shot. In the video the "hunter" just walked up to the camel and shot him.

What wild game animal will let you walk up to them in plain sight and put an arrow in them? It looks like the same thing as shooting a domestic cow.
Old 01-10-2009, 01:58 PM

ORIGINAL: 8pt~Bowhunter

First of all, the camels that let the guys in this video walk right up to them were already shot. Secondly, killingthe surplus of camels is a necessary part of wildlife management in Australia, not unlike killing feral pigs here (study the subject matter a little). Goats, dingo, water buffalo, donkeys,wild brambies (horses) feral cattle (shrub bulls), and even roos are hunted in Australia. As are the hordes of rabbits and hares which decimate the natural vegetation. They are all free ranging...I would think you blokes would salute our Aussie bowhunters! Once again, we show our arrogance. Ten bucks says not one of you have tried it, and yet you're willing to condemn those that consider this great sport. I guess the entire world should hunt nothing but white-tailed deer?

It gets old!

I have no problem with bow hunting camels if it's legal. But that video was not about "hunting" camels. When you hunt a "wild" animal you have to overcome that animals natural senses and get close enough for a killing shot. In the video the "hunter" just walked up to the camel and shot him.

What wild game animal will let you walk up to them in plain sight and put an arrow in them? It looks like the same thing as shooting a domestic cow.
Your question is answered in your own quote. PLENTY of wounded animals of all species act completely different than an unharmed animal.

I think hogs are MUCH harder to "hunt" than camels. IMO
Speaking from experience here? Have you ever even seen a hog or a camel for that matter in the wild?

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7350888899402398535

Now THAT appears to be the epitome of hard doesn't it? See, you can snatch a video of just about ANYTHING and make it appear easy. Most people watching whitetail hunts on TV don't understand how ANYONE can be unsuccessful in killing a deer. I'm not saying hog hunting easy (wouldn't have the slightest clue), I'm just saying it likely isn't any harder than camel hunting. Why be so quick to judge someone for legally, ethically, etc hunting for an animal halfway around the world that you haven't the slightest clue about. Next we will be saying cape buffalo are like hunting cows.

I have no problem with bow hunting camels if it's legal.
Has anyone ever heard of this before?[:'(]
Really?

I'm just saying....camels are likely just as wild in Australia as our little beloved piglets are here. Like Will said, if they aren't hunted...they would run rampant. In other words, what WOULD you approve of being hunted in Australia?
Old 01-10-2009, 02:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

What wild game animal will let you walk up to them in plain sight and put an arrow in them?
In the absence of any natural predator, I would say any wild animal would let you walk up to them. Last time I checked, lions, tigers and bears were absent in Oz. The land is sparsely populated. Chances are, most camels have never seen a human. What would they have to fear? What the video doesn't show is the number of animals which eluded the hunters, right? I believe it did show a number fleeing...

I surmise you haven't hunted enough if you haven't walked up to a "wild" animal in plain sight and put an arrow into it. It happens more frequently than you think.
Old 01-10-2009, 02:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: iamyourhuckleberry

What wild game animal will let you walk up to them in plain sight and put an arrow in them?
In the absence of any natural predator, I would say any wild animal would let you walk up to them. Last time I checked, lions, tigers and bears were absent in Oz. The land is sparsely populated. Chances are, most camels have never seen a human. What would they have to fear? What the video doesn't show is the number of animals which eluded the hunters, right? I believe it did show a number fleeing...

I surmise you haven't hunted enough if you haven't walked up to a "wild" animal in plain sight and put an arrow into it. It happens more frequently than you think.
Where I hunt, I can't walk up to a wild animal and shoot it with a bow. I've saw some videos where people have done this, like high fence ranches, and some animals that have no fear of humans. It doesn't seem like much of a hunt to me. IMO

But if you like that sort of thing, that's fine.

Old 01-10-2009, 02:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: TEmbry

It gets old!
Where did you read or hear all the animals in that video were already shot?

I think hogs are MUCH harder to "hunt" than camels. IMO
Speaking from experience here? Have you ever even seen a hog or a camel for that matter in the wild?

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7350888899402398535

Now THAT appears to be the epitome of hard doesn't it? See, you can snatch a video of just about ANYTHING and make it appear easy. Most people watching whitetail hunts on TV don't understand how ANYONE can be unsuccessful in killing a deer. I'm not saying hog hunting easy (wouldn't have the slightest clue), I'm just saying it likely isn't any harder than camel hunting. Why be so quick to judge someone for legally, ethically, etc hunting for an animal halfway around the world that you haven't the slightest clue about. Next we will be saying cape buffalo are like hunting cows.
Anyone can sit 20' in a tree and have animals come to them with food. I'm sure if that hunter got down from his treestand and tried to shoot one from the ground, the hogs would run away.

I'm just saying....camels are likely just as wild in Australia as our little beloved piglets are here. Like Will said, if they aren't hunted...they would run rampant. In other words, what WOULD you approve of being hunted in Australia?
like I said, I have no problem with people killing them if it's legal. Just don't try calling that hunting...
Old 01-10-2009, 02:23 PM

The entire world of critters aren't identical to the whitetails of Tennessee. I can't wait to hunt as many places as possible and experience new places and new animals.

Have you honestly NEVER walked up within bowrange of animals? I have on numerous numerous times on whitetails in KY, mostly during the summer when out scouting or fishing. It happens with any animal. I have footage of my buddy walking up within 5 feet of a six point buck in the middle of a hay field in late july. Perfectly healthy animal, perfectly "wild"...just wasn't spooked on that day. Had we of shot him and put it on youtube, I wonder how many people would comment how easy or wrong whitetail hunting is.

What is funny to me, is that alot of the eastern US treestand hunters view other types of hunting as unethical or easy, while alot of the worldwide hunters can view hunting from treestands as unethical or easy. I like both.
Old 01-10-2009, 02:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: TEmbry

The entire world of critters aren't identical to the whitetails of Tennessee. I can't wait to hunt as many places as possible and experience new places and new animals.

Have you honestly NEVER walked up within bowrange of animals? I have on numerous numerous times on whitetails in KY, mostly during the summer when out scouting or fishing. It happens with any animal. I have footage of my buddy walking up within 5 feet of a six point buck in the middle of a hay field in late july. Perfectly healthy animal, perfectly "wild"...just wasn't spooked on that day. Had we of shot him and put it on youtube, I wonder how many people would comment how easy or wrong whitetail hunting is.

What is funny to me, is that alot of the eastern US treestand hunters view other types of hunting as unethical or easy, while alot of the worldwide hunters can view hunting from treestands as unethical or easy. I like both.
When hunting season comes around, good luck walking next to a whitetail during bow season. Also if your friend shot that buck during "late july" wouldn't that be poaching? [:-]

Also, why bother with a tree stand when you can walk up to a whitetail and just shoot him. It would sure save a lot of time and money.
Old 01-10-2009, 02:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have no problem with people killing them if it's legal. Just don't try calling that hunting...
If you have not tried it don't knock it.

The video is miss leading, if you think you can just walk up on them I have news for ya and it's all bad. A wild Camel can be and is a very dangerous animal a lot of hunters have been seriously hurt and killedby them.

Go to the link Will provided and asked questions you just might learn something.

In other words, what WOULD you approve of being hunted in Australia?
When the economy was good we where allowed to take 2 arogant American tourist per year( don't get ya knickers in a knot it's a joke)
Old 01-10-2009, 02:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

The video is miss leading, if you think you can just walk up on them I have news for ya and it's all bad. A wild Camel can be and is a very dangerous animal a lot of hunters have been seriously hurt and killedby them.
Wild camels that have a fear for humans may be VERY difficult to hunt. I just don't think the camels on that video were 100% wild.

How would you classify the camels in the video? Wild or not wild?
Old 01-10-2009, 03:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

The assuies are avid sportsman but that did look like a 3D shoot. I don't know but I would bet not ten pounds of those overgrown goats was eaten. I also believe the population of camels is over the top so you
gotta kill some.
Would I try it?Sure if it didn't cost me anything but I would rather hunt a big Aussie Buff.
Are the wild camels and donkeys legal game in thestates. I know!!! How about a bow hunt for wild horses. I understand thay taste like chicken

Quick Reply: Bowhunting Camels?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.