Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bowhunting Camels?

Old 01-30-2009, 10:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Bowhunting Camels?

ORIGINAL: benno

Thanks Dan and Huck and all the other fellas who put in a good word for me on this. I can guarantee you cold beers at my place and thousands of square kms to hunt if you make it out here any time.

Im Benno and thats my video on youtube.

Sorry if i made it look a bit easy, on youtube I prefer clipped out videos that show plenty of action rather than 3 or 4 hours of getting into position, more blown stalk than kills and hours of wandering around in 37-45C heat (thats over 100 degrees F).

Which is what camel hunting is mostly about. In my experience no hunting is as easy as it looks on video...

To answer a few of the questions. There were 4 animals taken, the one on the ground was a follow up shot to dispatch it faster. and the camel "tipping" is a mate trying to save his arrows, they cost a lot out here. The footage is taken over a few months.

As for not wearing camo and walking up to the camels. My experience here in Aus is that camo makes very little difference if your good at stalking. Remember Howard Hill and all those old timers shot heaps without any.

We hunt for meat mostly and share the takings with the aboriginal land owners. A lot does go to waste often but the native dogs and eagles are kept happy. But the huge numbers mean a lot are shot to control the herds. Last weekend 2900 were culled from choppers in Kings Canyon National Park and surrounds.

Camels arent the hardest thing to hunt but they arent the easiest either, and to take a record class animal is always a challenge. I know it mightnt be to everyones taste but dont you think harvesting something this size with a bow looks like fun??

benno, thats an awesome photo! Congrats on the fine kill!