Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bowhunting Camels?

Old 01-14-2009, 05:39 PM

Default RE: Bowhunting Camels?

As an Aussie living and hunting the Southern Highlands of NSW..A cold climate where North American and European Trees are widely spread..I can understand the importance of tree stand hunting...as many of the trees on my hunting ground drop their leavers in Autumn(Fall)....I can imagine just how difficult it would be to stalk into a good distance with all the dry leaf litter underfoot...luckily for us most of the country has trees that hold their leaves ..so stalking is obviously far easier...not to mention that your hunting grounds would be far more heavilypopulated by huntersand being up a tree may be far safer...
Its great to pick up tips and info from you guys...awesome forum!
Old 01-16-2009, 09:05 AM

that sounds kind of illegal

Old 01-16-2009, 01:29 PM
puk

Default More useless Australian camel facts

There are estimated, as of Dec 2008, to be about a million camels, roaming a 3 million square kilometre ( about 1158306 square mile)area which impacts four states of Australia (note, these 4 states equal more than half the size of the lower 48 U.S. states).

[source:http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2...0/2442312.htm]

In the Australian desert, camels may now out number red kangaroos by 100 to 1.

Camel biology and ecology:[*]Camels can survive without water for long periods. Camels can also survive extreme dehydration without serious effects.[*]Camels can travel up to 70 kilometres a day. Camels range freely and are not territorial.[*]There are few factors that limit the growth of camel populations in arid zones of Australia. Camel populations have relatively few diseases. They have no natural predators. Camels usually have an adequate food supply as they can feed on more than 80% of the available plant species in most areas.[*]browse for food and can eat up to 3.5 kilograms of food per day. Camels can graze on low shrubs or vegetation up to 3.5 metres above the ground. This is a larger range than any other herbivore in Australia. Camels can go 5-7 days with little or no food and water, and can lose a quarter of its body weight without impairing normal functions.[*]A thirsty camel can drink up to 200 litres of water in 3 minutes.[*]Contrary to popular belief, a camels hump stores fat rather than water.
[source: http://www.dec.wa.gov.au/science-and-research/animal-research/feral-camels-in-western-australia.html]

Just a few facts i found while searching around.
Shoot straight!
Puk
Old 01-16-2009, 01:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: More useless Australian camel facts

You down under guys got nothing to prove. Keep on a keeping on, your all excellent bow hunters In my book!!Respect to all of you!! Specially you Traditional boys!!
Old 01-16-2009, 04:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

What Steve said! Wack em and stack em...business as usual! Let's take this opportunity to learn from each other. Thanks Puk And Specila for all the information.

Could an Aussie tell us something about the buffalo there?
Old 01-16-2009, 04:26 PM

ORIGINAL: puk[*]A thirsty camel can drink up to 200 litres of water in 3 minutes.[*]
Just a few facts i found while searching around.
Shoot straight!
Puk[*]
Holy crap! That's over 50 gallons in 3 minutes! I can't even fill my bath that fast!!! Cool factoid.
Old 01-16-2009, 09:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

They must suck taht water up like a shop vac lol! They must have some sort of sump pump in their body somewhere[&:]
Old 01-29-2009, 02:37 PM
Spike

Thanks Dan and Huck and all the other fellas who put in a good word for meon this. I can guarantee you cold beers at my place and thousands of square kms to hunt if you make it out here any time.

Im Benno and thats my video on youtube.

Sorry if i made it look a bit easy, on youtube I prefer clipped out videos that show plenty of action rather than 3 or 4 hours of getting into position, more blown stalk than kills and hours of wandering around in 37-45C heat (thats over 100 degrees F).

Which is what camel hunting is mostly about. In my experience no hunting is as easy as it looks on video...

To answer a few of the questions. There were 4 animals taken, the one on the ground was a follow up shot to dispatch it faster. and the camel "tipping" is a mate trying to save his arrows, they cost a lot out here. The footage is taken over afew months.

As for not wearing camo and walking up to the camels. My experience here in Aus is that camo makes very little difference if your good at stalking. Remember Howard Hill and all those old timers shot heaps without any.

We hunt for meat mostly and share the takings with the aboriginal land owners. A lot does go to waste often but the native dogs and eagles are kept happy. But the huge numbers mean a lot are shot to control the herds. Last weekend 2900 were culled from choppers in Kings Canyon National Park and surrounds.

Camels arent the hardest thing to hunt but they arent the easiest either, and to take a record class animal is always a challenge. I know it mightnt be to everyones taste but dont you think harvesting something this size with a bow looks like fun??

Old 01-29-2009, 03:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: benno

Im Benno and thats my video on youtube.

Camels arent the hardest thing to hunt but they arent the easiest either, and to take a record class animal is always a challenge. I know it mightnt be to everyones taste but dont you think harvesting something this size with a bow looks like fun??

What constitutes a trophy class Camel?
Old 01-30-2009, 01:29 AM

G'day all. yep you guessed it, another bloody aussie

got one thing to say to 8pt hunter, and its said in my sig. best advice i was ever given. as soon as you open your mouth, people know where you stand and will judge you upon that like it or not. believe it or not, if people take their time and listen, they actually may learn stuff!!! mate, the only judgement im going to make is that from what ive read, you have a very different idea of hunting to me...no problem here with that. personaly, in this entire thread, there is alot of contraversy but what happened to the deffinition of hunting??? to me, hunting is going out and having a go, sucess is not an important factor...FUN is compulsary. just my opinion. agreed to the blokes who say that cornering a tame animal in a farm, shooting it, then looking for glory is BS. hunting is an art and craft. wether stalked, ambushed or stumbled uppon (99% of the time im guilty of the latter!!! ) but whoever said "Comparing one hunt to another is ignorant" (something along those lines) mate, youve got 100% of my attention at that. absolutely agree to that 100%. how can you compare something so dynamic??? every hunt is a winner for me, as i have said before. not necessarily because i take game, but because EVERY time i go out, i learn more about nature and it never ceases to astound me.

another fact for you guys. when stated "The Camel is a pest" it is UNDER stated. in the 50's Asia and Africa used to get their camels from us because we have more than the country they originated from!!! the brumbies also do HUGE damage and by all means, if you want free horses, come and flog some for all we care. beautiful beasts...untill they become pests.

completely off topic, but what was the do with that thing about Hugh Jackman and Nicole Kidman going to hell because our ex-primeminister stayed in a hotel??? not making judgements or nuthin but im still confused as to why they should "go to hell" for another bloke staying in a hotel?? enlightenment would be GREATlY appreciated.
cheers

Jake

Fantastic site from what ive seen so far...that being this thread but i plan on checking the rest out pretty soon. might have to head over for a visit at some point in time. theres always a real beer (haha just jokin fellas) thats ice cold at my joint for anyone who wishes to drop by. it gets kinda lonely by ya self for a couple of weeks . have a good one fellas

Quick Reply: Bowhunting Camels?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.