Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

I just shook my head in shame...

Old 01-09-2009, 06:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default I just shook my head in shame...

I asked my good school friend how last night went bowhunting.

"I was close. I decided to stay on the ground. After awhile of no encounters, a doe came creeping forward cautiously. I drew on her at ten yards and missed!" Exclaimed my friend.

I asked "How in the hell did you miss her at ten yards?"

He said. "Well, she was facing me directly, and she ducked my arrow!"

I asked. "Where were you aiming, did you have a clue?"

He replied with, "Well, I really don't know?"

All I could do was shake my head, when I really wanted to scream. Later, I did explain to him what he did wrong, and what he should do next time.

Old 01-09-2009, 06:32 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: I just shook my head in shame...

Man, its good to know that there are still a few bowhunters out there who still have some respect for the deer their shooting. Great job telling him what he did wrong and correcting him from future mistakes. I know way to many people who take shots at deer with a bow when the deer are behind brush, facing at or away from the them, or simply a long ways out. That is why you hear of so many deer are being wounded. I can't believe it when some people say that they've hit sometimes five deer in a single bow season and didn't recover a single one. I know just like any other hunter knows, that every so often a bad shot will happen, but there is no reason to wound a couple deer a season if you are taking ethical shots. Great Job
Old 01-09-2009, 08:39 PM

everyone makes mistakes though its happened to me several times
Old 01-09-2009, 09:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

if you can get a deer to come into 10 yards theres usually a good chance you can get a broadside or quartering away shot. why would anyone take a shot at a deer thats facing them. thats just not ethical.
Old 01-09-2009, 11:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

A lot of Bad decisions are made in crunch time. He will get better with experience, although it can be a slow learning process for some

Dan
Old 01-09-2009, 11:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: wis_rifle_hunter

if you can get a deer to come into 10 yards theres usually a good chance you can get a broadside or quartering away shot. why would anyone take a shot at a deer thats facing them. thats just not ethical.
Deer are sometimes VERY curious. They will come in directly too you if they know you (something) are/is there. This year, while tracking the buck that i had shot, i came up to a doe feeding. I saw her while she was calmly feeding. I was talking on my phone to my dad (about the buck) while she saw me. I slipped my phone into jacket and tried to use my bow (ALL BLACK 101st airborne) as cover. She cut the distance between me and her from about 40yds to 20 in a period of around 15 minutes of brutally still standing. She closed the gap even more making it to about 18 yards... she walked HEAD FIRST all the way to me. She finally turned around to abruptly run off and i made a noise and she snapped back around, incidently quartering too me enough that i was comfortable to take the shot.

anyways... moral of the story is, situations are different, and not all people react the same to them either.
Derek
Old 01-10-2009, 12:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah man, when you get caught up in the heat of the moment you sometimes do things you say you would never do. People make mistakes, and some stupid ones at that. It is a good thing that you told him what he did wrong so he knows for next time and correct it.