Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

question to cold weather hunters

Old 01-07-2009, 08:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: question to cold weather hunters

ORIGINAL: Schultzy

I hunted 24 degrees below zero temps this past month in Nebraska.
I'm guessing this was the wind chill and not the actual temp being this was In Nebraska.

Actually I think dry air doesn't feel as cold as air with more moisture in it
Very true!
I was in the Extreme NW corner of NE, andNope first morning I was there it was 16 below with a wind chill of 68 below.

The following morning it was 24 below, then 20 below, and then 20 below again. Those were straight temps, and thank goodness the wind died down after the first day.

I never seen above zero until the 4th day. that's including the highs. It finally got up to a Balmy 15 degrees the 4th day.

Dan
Old 01-07-2009, 08:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: MeanV2

I hunted 24 degrees below zero temps this past month in Nebraska.
I'm guessing this was the wind chill and not the actual temp being this was In Nebraska.

Actually I think dry air doesn't feel as cold as air with more moisture in it
Very true!
I was in the Extreme NW corner of NE, andNope first morning I was there it was 16 below with a wind chill of 68 below.

The following morning it was 24 below, then 20 below, and then 20 below again. Those were straight temps, and thank goodness the wind died down after the first day.

I never seen above zero until the 4th day. that's including the highs. It finally got up to a Balmy 15 degrees the 4th day.

Dan
Damn, that's hard on the body Dan!! I hate hunting In cold temps like that!![>:] I guess I didn't realize Nebraska got that cold, my bad!
Old 01-07-2009, 09:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'm still dealing with a little frostbite on my Bow hand. If you noticed in the pics I posted on that hunt, the Turkey pics I had no gloves on, but in the Deer pic I had learned better.

I'm pretty hot natured, but Darn 20 below is cold!!

Also I had to spend the night in my truck the 1st night. I slept very little, but when I woke up about daylight. It was 16 below and the Truck was rockin' from the wind. There was also about 1/4" ice on the inside of all the glass.

I was a little chilly!

Dan
Old 01-07-2009, 09:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: MeanV2

I'm still dealing with a little frostbite on my Bow hand. If you noticed in the pics I posted on that hunt, the Turkey pics I had no gloves on, but in the Deer pic I had learned better.

I'm pretty hot natured, but Darn 20 below is cold!!

Also I had to spend the night in my truck the 1st night. I slept very little, but when I woke up about daylight. It was 16 below and the Truck was rockin' from the wind. There was also about 1/4" ice on the inside of all the glass.

I was a little chilly!

Dan
I'd say so!!
Old 01-07-2009, 10:16 AM

That is some seriously cold weather Dan!

I don't know exactly how much cold effects a deer's nose. I know that I am just as careful of my scent, if not more, in the late season. The average temp during that time is somewhere in the mid 20s. Most of the deer I see are in the evening and usually all of them are coming from a specific bedding area. Most of the time I see one group of deer the last 30 minutes of light. If I spook one deer in that group, my hunt is likely over for that evening. In October and November and I can see deer at anytime and they can come from multiple directions. Spooking one deer won't always mean I won't see another. In late December, spooking one usually means spooking all the deer I was going to see that sit.
Old 01-08-2009, 07:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Is that from the cold or the furnace running 24/7?

My skin gets much more dry/chapped In the winter months.
Old 01-08-2009, 10:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

well if you look at it from a scientific stand point, scent molecules are goingto slow down and move a lot less in colder temps than in warmer temps, can they smell you still still?Yes forsure, but I believe from all my cold weather hunting both here in Idaho, ND now and back in Alberta and Montana... once those temps drop below zero, I always seem to notice a littler higher tolerance by deer in and around me say 20 yards or less.. Just my 2 cents..