Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

question to cold weather hunters

Old 01-07-2009, 07:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: question to cold weather hunters

ORIGINAL: BobCo19-65

ORIGINAL: kickin_buck

It is indeed harder for a deer (or any other animal) to detectyour odor as it gets cold. I am not saying that they cannot, just that it is harder to do so. Odor molecules are just like everything else in the world, they contract when cooled and expanded when heated.

I have no idea how much of a difference it makes, I just know it does make a difference.

I agree.
Maybe up to a certain point. Try running scent trailing dogs when it's 90 degrees, and dry as a bone.

It's a combination of temp, humidity, pressure, moisture in the ground, etc.

Dan
Old 01-07-2009, 07:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would say scent isdefinitely toned down when it's cold. One reason to support this is, in the summer months the garbage in the bin in the garage 'stinks' when the bin is opened. Now when it's cold in the garage the garbage doesn't smell as much...the only reason for this is the COLD.
Old 01-07-2009, 07:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: MeanV2

ORIGINAL: kickin_buck

It is indeed harder for a deer (or any other animal) to detectyour odor as it gets cold. I am not saying that they cannot, just that it is harder to do so. Odor molecules are just like everything else in the world, they contract when cooled and expanded when heated.

I have no idea how much of a difference it makes, I just know it does make a difference.

I agree.
Maybe up to a certain point. Try running scent trailing dogs when it's 90 degrees, and dry as a bone.

It's a combination of temp, humidity, pressure, moisture in the ground, etc.

Dan
The question did not deal with dogs, 90 degree temps, humidity, pressure, moisure.
Old 01-07-2009, 07:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well they sure seem to know just exactly where to paw through feet of snow to find food. You tell me if it is working.
Old 01-07-2009, 08:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

When It gets cold here In Minnesota It's usually dry also so the combination of the 2 makes It harder for a deer to pick up on our scent decent. I know when It's dry and cold our dogs have a hard time picking up scent from pheasants.
Old 01-07-2009, 08:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

The question did not deal with dogs, 90 degree temps, humidity, pressure, moisure.
Dogs? I'm talking about the ability of Field Champion Dogs to SCENT trail. I think scent is what we are talking about and how that changes with different weather conditions.[8D]

There is more to it than Hot or Cold!

If scent varies and changes the way that dog can trail the scentyou can bet it changes the way a Deer can scent you also.

Dan
Old 01-07-2009, 08:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Schultzy

When It gets cold here In Minnesota It's usually dry also so the combination of the 2 makes It harder for a deer to pick up on our scent decent. I know when It's dry and cold our dogs have a hard time picking up scent from pheasants.
I Agree Steve!! There are parts of the country where it can get cold and still be moist compared to your area. That's why I said it's a combination of things.

Not just the Temp.

Dan
Old 01-07-2009, 08:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: MeanV2

ORIGINAL: Schultzy

I Agree Steve!! There are parts of the country where it can get cold and still be moist compared to your area. That's why I said it's a combination of things.

Not just the Temp.

Dan
I agree Dan but I believe the Winter months are worse and usually have much more drier air then any other months (at least here In Minnesota anyway). My skin gets much more dry/chapped In the winter months.
Old 01-07-2009, 08:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

I've noticed the dry air in my travels to MI, as well as NE. but it isn't that way every where. Actually I think dry air doesn't feel as cold as air with more moisture in it, but that's another thread.

Either dry or wet 24 degrees below zero is Cold!!

Dan
Old 01-07-2009, 08:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

I hunted 24 degrees below zero temps this past month in Nebraska.
I'm guessing this was the wind chill and not the actual temp being this was In Nebraska.

Actually I think dry air doesn't feel as cold as air with more moisture in it
Very true!

Quick Reply: question to cold weather hunters

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.