Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

long range bow shooting

Old 01-07-2009, 01:05 PM

Default RE: long range bow shooting

ORIGINAL: OHbowhntr

Actually you are correct for once!!!!! Because with your set-up, your eye would be only about 30" from the .029 pin, and going on that figure, the pin would be about 3.494" if you're eye is 30" from the pin. If the pin doesn't look nearly as large as a "coke can" at 100yds, you're not 100yds back yet. I suppose doing some more calculations, it would be very possible, it you were to skip that arrow off the ground just perfectly, that it could hit a target at 100yds, I still would like to see the video.

you keep thinking that I care so much that I would go through the effort just to prove you wrong. I shoot 4 days a week a 100yd to me and the people I know it is just another practice day. to you it is this unbelievable feat that only a pro with 600$ sh!t can do.

well lets look at this- you have never tried cheap stuff ( do to your ego ) on your bow.

you have never tried anything past 50yd

you have never been able to accept that people are better than you, so now I come into play, an archer of 4 years experience who from the first day of shooting wanted to go further test my equipments and my capability's but you can't accept the fact that I have had the drive fallowed by discipline to shoot and achieve my goal.

it sounds hard but it's not, you how ever will never know this, you concentrate to much with price and computations to compensate for your job that is supposed to be done by a female.

nurse Betty -- get over it, you act like a 4 year old the way you can't accept. here is a video of a distance far further than my goal.

here ya go calculate this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03y2BarHcUs 85 yards longer than my shot

if this guy can shoot 185 than think of my 100yd ------ it is nothing ---- get over it.
Old 01-07-2009, 01:07 PM

ORIGINAL: Rory/MO

I shot the new non typical world record. I don't have any pictures because I know what I did[8D]
your in 10th grade, that is all that needs to be said.............................................. ...............................................
Old 01-07-2009, 01:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: LRarcher

ORIGINAL: Rory/MO

I shot the new non typical world record. I don't have any pictures because I know what I did[8D]
your in 10th grade, that is all that needs to be said.............................................. ...............................................
A 10th grader that seems to be a rock solid kid, Rory, congrats on your World Record!

LR, your trying to hard, breathe a little! Good luck with your practicing, nothing wrong with shooting long distance for practice!
Old 01-07-2009, 01:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Actually you are correct for once!!!!! Because with your set-up, your eye would be only about 30" from the .029 pin, and going on that figure, the pin would be about 3.494" if you're eye is 30" from the pin. If the pin doesn't look nearly as large as a "coke can" at 100yds, you're not 100yds back yet. I suppose doing some more calculations, it would be very possible, it you were to skip that arrow off the ground just perfectly, that it could hit a target at 100yds, I still would like to see the video.

you keep thinking that I care so much that I would go through the effort just to prove you wrong. I shoot 4 days a week a 100yd to me and the people I know it is just another practice day. to you it is this unbelievable feat that only a pro with 600$ sh!t can do.

well lets look at this- you have never tried cheap stuff ( do to your ego ) on your bow. ( Might better check the signature line....)

you have never tried anything past 50yd (Actually, I was shooting quite well with BH's to 60yds when I was getting ready to go Elk Hunting, and yes I KNEW I had the energy for that shot. )

you have never been able to accept that people are better than you, so now I come into play, an archer of 4 years experience who from the first day of shooting wanted to go further test my equipments and my capability's but you can't accept the fact that I have had the drive fallowed by discipline to shoot and achieve my goal. (Actually, there are many people far better than me, I'm not a "great" archer by any means, and I have no problem accepting that many are far better than I.)

it sounds hard but it's not, you how ever will never know this, you concentrate to much with price and computations to compensate for your job that is supposed to be done by a female.

nurse Betty -- get over it, you act like a 4 year old the way you can't accept. here is a video of a distance far further than my goal.

here ya go calculate this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03y2BarHcUs 85 yards longer than my shot

if this guy can shoot 185 than think of my 100yd ------ it is nothing ---- get over it.
Actually, my $700 bow was bought almost as cheap as your bow, so it's not about that, I'm pretty cheap, $60/dozen arrows, free rest that came on the bow bought used, sight bought on sale for half price of it's original MSRP. Don't get too deep into it junior!!!

I think you must have a pretty warped mind to think I'm compensating for anything, but so be it. I think if you'd take some of your time and download "OnTarget2" Software for Archers, you'd understand why several of us are a bit skeptical. You sniping little remarks are a bit tiresome, however, and you may want to double check the forum rules before typing any more of them. If you want to compare MAN to MAN, I'm a decent sized guy 6' 240#, I've done more than just "nursing" for a living," but at the time, if you can find a more stable field that I can make comparable money, I'm open to your suggestions as I'm sure with ALL of your LIFE experience, you probably know of something..... (Yes that was sarcasm if you didn't understand it.) I used to run construction crews, I've done professional tree service, I spent 4yrs. in the Army, and I'm quite secure with WHO I AM. I quit raising my hand at people nearly 11 yrs ago after a little altercation that required the other guy a little reconstructive surgery. Being a very capable and knowledgeable man in self-defense, I have disrupted more than a handful of altercations since then, and I'm perfectly confident that even guys much larger than I (my bro-in-law is about 6'4" and about 280#, also an Army Vet, and an OH undercover liquor agent, pretty well trained himself and he always ends up on the wrong side) are easy enough to take down and lock-up that I haven't seen a need to "throw down." Now we can continue this pettiness if you like, but until your ready to PUT UP, SHUT UP!!!

Video please?????

As to sniping at Rory, he's a very accomplished young hunter in his own right, and knowledgeable enough to not come onto a forum spewing forth unbelievable BS, therefore I think you owe him and apology, because he's acted far more mature than you have here, and he's a well respected member and we don't care whether he's 18 or 40, he's a contributing member here with knowledge that maybe he could share with you. Pretty obvious he was joking, but I think I'd have believe that over "I shoot 100yds with my Buckmaster bow and my 20$ wal-mart sight cause I'm a great archer...." BS.

I think you should go back to my first post on your ridiculous thread and re-read it, and heed some of that advice.
Old 01-07-2009, 01:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Some of these threads crack me up. The guy comes on and says he likes to practice at 100 yards.....he didn't say he was an expert or a pro or anything along those lines. In fact he even stated

now shooting and hitting are two different things

at 100yd trying to hit a coke can I might get 1 out of ten and the rest will be 4inches near.
Considering the size of a coke can and giving 4-5 inches from each side of that can he is basically saying a group that would fit in a target about 13-15 inches squared (roughly). Pretty good I guessbut not mind blowing and beyon the realm of possibility.

I shoot a dial a prayer sight. I have one pin on a slide and to be honest sometimes I don't have time to slide it it the woods. Because of that fact from 20 to 50 yardsI know how far above the point of impact I need to hold to put the arrow there. Rarelynecessary in the field but practicing it is pretty fun. During some of those practice sessions I would set my pin at max distance bottomed out (about 75 yards) and shoot at 100 yards with it. It was fun, yes I had to literally aim at things several feet above my 3-d but after a shot or two I could hit the target, definitely not every time but enough, like I said it was fun and after that when I moved up to 30 yards or closer the 3-d seemed huge.

Everyone should back up a second and quit worrying about "being in the know" and being "internet experts" and maybe give the guy the benefit of the doubt. He likes to practice at 100 yards, it's fun to him.......what exactly is wrong with that?

I have loads of old bowhunting articles andhave read countless stories of bowhuntings legends taking shots of that length and beyongregularilyand not just at targets, taking game animals atextreme ranges with equipment nowhere near todays standards.

Yeah we've come along way since then andthings have definitely changed as far as etical bowhunting shots butthose shots are not impossible especially when we are talking about repeatedly winging arrows at stationary targets with modernequipment.

jmo
Old 01-07-2009, 02:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: NEW61375

Some of these threads crack me up. The guy comes on and says he likes to practice at 100 yards.....he didn't say he was an expert or a pro or anything along those lines. In fact he even stated

now shooting and hitting are two different things

at 100yd trying to hit a coke can I might get 1 out of ten and the rest will be 4inches near.
Considering the size of a coke can and giving 4-5 inches from each side of that can he is basically saying a group that would fit in a target about 13-15 inches squared (roughly). Pretty good I guessbut not mind blowing and beyon the realm of possibility.

I shoot a dial a prayer sight. I have one pin on a slide and to be honest sometimes I don't have time to slide it it the woods. Because of that fact from 20 to 50 yardsI know how far above the point of impact I need to hold to put the arrow there. Rarelynecessary in the field but practicing it is pretty fun. During some of those practice sessions I would set my pin at max distance bottomed out (about 75 yards) and shoot at 100 yards with it. It was fun, yes I had to literally aim at things several feet above my 3-d but after a shot or two I could hit the target, definitely not every time but enough, like I said it was fun and after that when I moved up to 30 yards or closer the 3-d seemed huge.

Everyone should back up a second and quit worrying about "being in the know" and being "internet experts" and maybe give the guy the benefit of the doubt. He likes to practice at 100 yards, it's fun to him.......what exactly is wrong with that?

I have loads of old bowhunting articles andhave read countless stories of bowhuntings legends taking shots of that length and beyongregularilyand not just at targets, taking game animals atextreme ranges with equipment nowhere near todays standards.

Yeah we've come along way since then andthings have definitely changed as far as etical bowhunting shots butthose shots are not impossible especially when we are talking about repeatedly winging arrows at stationary targets with modernequipment.

jmo
NEW- Great Post, I agree w/ everything.

LR- You dont have to call people names to get respect here. Just act like an adult

OHbowhntr- No one cares how big you are on the internet. You started this attack on LR and now
youve stooped below his level.
Old 01-07-2009, 02:21 PM
Site Buck Guru

Shooting at 100 yards plus is really not a big deal. All of my slider sights are sighted in to at least 80 yards and most have a mark for 95, 100 and 115 yards. The later markings come in handy for novelty shoots that they have at the various tournaments!

If the guy says he does it..............so what!!??

It's no skin off your ass, leave it be.
Old 01-07-2009, 02:22 PM

ORIGINAL: drhntr178

LR- You dont have to call people names to get respect here. Just act like an adult

I just got a little caught up in the ridiculousness of this guy statements. after 4 years of trying to get my gaol I had to defend my self a little .

I mean hes a nurse, I just could'nt let it go
Old 01-07-2009, 02:36 PM

ORIGINAL: TEmbry

According to some 15 second calculations I did, a .029 sight pin would cover a circle over 3.5" in diameter at 100 yards....anyone in the know, does this sound right? That means you couldn't even see a baseball behind your pin.....you could just barely see a grapefruit around your pin.

well you 15 calculations are off, I have spoken on the topic enough, today I shoot any way.

So I will be wearing a big grin when I hear that can crush at 10yd.

good luck to all who DARE to venture past 20yd[8D]
HEY, thats the number I got! 3.494" or something very very similar...I just figured with the added actual pin around the fiber (fiber being flared out)...that it would be slightly over 3.5". Either way that is a pretty large chunk of that can gone. I too based it on just slightly under 1 yard (36")from eye to pin.

Im not questioning anyone's abilities to shoot 100 yards and hit 10" groups, I'm fairly certain I could do this within the week given my current 50-60 yard shooting.

The ONLY thing I question is how he is getting a regular $20 walmart sight housing to cover pins from 20 to 100...or ANY normal shooting distance to 100....I would think a slider would be needed to accomplish this...I know my Vital Gear fixed pin can no way go to 100. Unless the whole housing is substanstially low only covering the farther distance pins...then I could see it. Im just saying no way does a $20 fixed pin walmart sight have the capabilities to go from 20 to 100 yards. Maybe I am wrong in this?
Old 01-07-2009, 03:02 PM

I think you must have a pretty warped mind to think I'm compensating for anything, but so be it. I think if you'd take some of your time and download "OnTarget2" Software for Archers, you'd understand why several of us are a bit skeptical. You sniping little remarks are a bit tiresome, however, and you may want to double check the forum rules before typing any more of them. If you want to compare MAN to MAN, I'm a decent sized guy 6' 240#, I've done more than just "nursing" for a living," but at the time, if you can find a more stable field that I can make comparable money, I'm open to your suggestions as I'm sure with ALL of your LIFE experience, you probably know of something..... (Yes that was sarcasm if you didn't understand it.) I used to run construction crews, I've done professional tree service, I spent 4yrs. in the Army, and I'm quite secure with WHO I AM. I quit raising my hand at people nearly 11 yrs ago after a little altercation that required the other guy a little reconstructive surgery. Being a very capable and knowledgeable man in self-defense, I have disrupted more than a handful of altercations since then, and I'm perfectly confident that even guys much larger than I (my bro-in-law is about 6'4" and about 280#, also an Army Vet, and an OH undercover liquor agent, pretty well trained himself and he always ends up on the wrong side) are easy enough to take down and lock-up that I haven't seen a need to "throw down." Now we can continue this pettiness if you like, but until your ready to PUT UP, SHUT UP!!!

Video please?????

As to sniping at Rory, he's a very accomplished young hunter in his own right, and knowledgeable enough to not come onto a forum spewing forth unbelievable BS, therefore I think you owe him and apology, because he's acted far more mature than you have here, and he's a well respected member and we don't care whether he's 18 or 40, he's a contributing member here with knowledge that maybe he could share with you. Pretty obvious he was joking, but I think I'd have believe that over "I shoot 100yds with my Buckmaster bow and my 20$ wal-mart sight cause I'm a great archer...." BS.

I think you should go back to my first post on your ridiculous thread and re-read it, and heed some of that advice.
nd I'm quite secure with WHO I AM. I quit raising my hand at people nearly 11 yrs ago after a little altercation that required the other guy a little reconstructive surgery. Being a very capable and knowledgeable man in self-defense, I have

All I got out of this was that you are a nurse and you think you can fight, well lets see a video !!!!!!!! I don't believe your height or weight.

you have been a nurse your whole life, lets see the video !!!!

VIDEO !!!!!!!

I did not even read your post I have better things to do with my time, I do not intend to communicate with a male nurse any longer.

good by nurse betty

do not comment on here again.

Quick Reply: long range bow shooting

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.