Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

long range bow shooting

Old 01-06-2009, 08:29 PM

Default RE: long range bow shooting

ORIGINAL: Hick442

Im just saying on this forum we don't brag about stuff without backing it up with pics.

I'm not bragging, I don't need to.

I really don't care what others think especially, when I know what my capabilities are. and my pictures would be ridiculed as well.
Old 01-06-2009, 09:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm not doubting that you can shot 100 yards, I believe you. I do have a question.

How faris your 20yd pin from your 100yd pin.? I'm trying to pic. how large the sight ring must be on that 20$ WAL-MART sight.
Old 01-06-2009, 10:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

I use to shoot 83 yards with my target setup on a regular basis.That was me standing at the road and I don't love archery enough to stand in the middle of the road at full draw shooting a bow.

BUT,83 yards was just about as far as my housing would allow me to go.If I would drop the sight any lower,my fletching would have made contact with my housing.

I can say without a doubt though,I gained more accuracy shooting in my garage at CLOSE distances just working on form and shot sequence and the release than the 80 yards stuff.I would also take a marker and put 1" dots or smaller on my bag target and try to hit that dot at 30-50 yards and that is way better than the extreme long range stuff.

I want to add,my sight was extended out,so,if I would have pulled it in,I could most likely have reached 100 but I didn't have the space so never did it.
Old 01-06-2009, 10:08 PM

ORIGINAL: gri22ly

I'm not doubting that you can shot 100 yards, I believe you. I do have a question.

How far is your 20yd pin from your 100yd pin.? I'm trying to pic. how large the sight ring must be on that 20$ WAL-MART sight.
ok first pin ( which is maxed out at the top ) to bottom pin is 1.5 inches and due to your respect and kindness I went through the effort of knocking an arrow and measuring the bottom pin to the top of my arrow ( I know it's not lot of effort but hey [8D] )

that measure meant is exactly 2 inches.

I can't find the sight any more, mine is a more compact green, with a plastic green pin guard.

Also until you try it you wont know I was in a pinch with a sight and it was either 20$ at wal-mart or a 100$ +++ spot hog. I said I'll try it and now I'm doing great with it. the pin size is .029 and I have found those to be perfect, I have not tried other sizes

If it ain't broke don't fix it

Old 01-06-2009, 10:15 PM

ORIGINAL: TFOX

I use to shoot 83 yards with my target setup on a regular basis.That was me standing at the road and I don't love archery enough to stand in the middle of the road at full draw shooting a bow.

BUT,83 yards was just about as far as my housing would allow me to go.If I would drop the sight any lower,my fletching would have made contact with my housing.

that is why I some times need to have my first pin at 30yd, like you say it is more than worth it.

Ok now we have a another 80yd + shooter in the house, lets be real here, was it that hard to get out to 83yd ????

I have a huge dirt mound so if I miss in just dig em out. the first day a 100yd I could barely nick the block, then next 4 days I was about 6 inches from the can then I just continued to practice till I got tightened down my grouping.

people think it is harder then it looks because they have never made the attempt, then we have people like MR.ohio who have an aneurysm when you tell about your distance.
Old 01-06-2009, 10:20 PM

According to some 15 second calculations I did, a .029 sight pin would cover a circle over 3.5" in diameter at 100 yards....anyone in the know, does this sound right? That means you couldn't even see a baseball behind your pin.....you could just barely see a grapefruit around your pin.
Old 01-06-2009, 10:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

I was using a Hoyt Protec with a $400 slider sight and scope with an 18" stabilizer.Arrows that were about 20 bucks a piece so I wasn't trying to hit a dirt back stop.[8D]I had a BIG outdoor range target and was just happy to be near the middle.If I shot a 6-7" group,I was estatic.

Took me years to be able to shoot that kind of distance but I had learned alot of bad habits over the years but I found someone locally that new what the heck was going on(coach) and he pointed me in the right direction.

I haven't shot past 50 in quite some time but my main focus is hunting now,along with a little 3-d thrown in.
Old 01-06-2009, 10:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

I watched a 17 year old member of this forum hit a 3" (I believe) orange dot at 103 yards a couple times.I was spotting for him at the time.He missed way more than he hit it though.[8D]

I say I believe because it was 90 plus degrees out and I wasn't leaving the shade to walk down the range with him to retrieve arrows.
Old 01-06-2009, 10:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks LRarcher, I do shoot 100 yardsfrom time to time....Only when I've had a few to many[8D].....But I have to stack mypin's (20 trough 60 yard's)to do itand I do good to hit a 3 foot by 3 foot target.[8D]
Old 01-06-2009, 10:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: gri22ly

Thanks LRarcher, I do shoot 100 yards from time to time....Only when I've had a few to many[8D].....But I have to stack my pin's (20 trough 60 yard's) to do it and I do good to hit a 3 foot by 3 foot target.[8D]

You drink,I would have never guessed.[8D]

Quick Reply: long range bow shooting

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.