Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

long range bow shooting

Old 01-06-2009, 04:51 PM

Default RE: long range bow shooting

ORIGINAL: buffhntr

I am going to catch you know what but here it goes. I have shot a bow for many years and kept my range to 35 yards and under. This year I plan to shoot every day starting in my and be effective to 50 yards and yes if all conditions are right I will hopefully be able to take that shot with complete confidence. If I am not confident I wont shoot but I dont see anything wrong with shooting long range. I do think anything over 60 yards is excessive because you due owe it to the animal to make a clean quick kill and I think to many things can go wrong once you start getting out that far

let me just say this when you use words like "hopefully be able to take that shot" then taking the shot is out of the question.

when I shoot i would feel fine if some one came up to me and said "you hit the bulls eye at 50yd I'll give ya 20$"

the second you doubt you can do it you should not take the shot, it is similar to LR riffle shooting the bullet stays in the air for .5 a second same with archery. just that bullet coves 9X the distance.

all the conditions should be right always if there not than don't take the shot.

I don't try to come off "mean" here but what you said is not correct.

we need to have absolute confidence always, not hope.

hope gets you through life, knowing allows you to live.

good luck with the 50yd shots, you will get it down in 100shots
Old 01-06-2009, 04:55 PM
Typical Buck

Schultzy You are getting me wrong I do owe it to the animal. I am a very ethical hunter and will continue to be. I dont see what it hurts to increase your range. When the time comes to take a 50 yard shot im not sure I would do it but what if I gut shot a buck at 20 and then it ran to 50 and stopped it would be nice to be able to put a good back up shot in him. I also know that shooting longer range will make you a better shot at the shorter distances. All of the deer I have shot have been 35 yards or less but I dont think it is wrong to shoot a deer 40 or 50. A 40 or 50 yard shot now days with the equipment is like a 30 yard shot 15 years ago.
Old 01-06-2009, 04:58 PM
Typical Buck

sorry LRarcher thank you for pointing out my poor wording I am thankful to learn from such a pro.
Old 01-06-2009, 05:00 PM
Typical Buck

I also think you missed the part where I said if I wasnt confident I would take the shot
Old 01-06-2009, 05:07 PM

sorry LRarcher thank you for pointing out my poor wording I am thankful to learn from such a pro.
I get the feeling that is sarcastic comment, and a good one at that [8D]

I'm no pro but I just wanted you to see that you must never doubt your self or capability's. where I hunt a hunting situation can turn to a survival situation very quickly. so I'm glad to hear you are going to be shooting at 50yd I wish you the best. when I first tried 50yd I always ended practice on a good note and if I was shaky I would rest for 5-10 minutes.

lets us know how you make out !!
Old 01-06-2009, 05:12 PM
Typical Buck

I used to shoot that distance all the time during 3d season then I quit shooting 3d and limited myself to 35 yards. That was a big mistake on my part.
Old 01-06-2009, 05:17 PM

I used to shoot that distance all the time during 3d season then I quit shooting 3d and limited myself to 35 yards. That was a big mistake on my part.

well then keep it up, with consistency you'll be there in a week. once you hit 50yd and can shoot 10 arrows with not less then 3inches of space it is time yo go up again. just like how you stopped at 35 well once you get going stopping is the worst thing you can do.

I would go in increments of 10 then at 50 go in 5yd increments.
Old 01-06-2009, 06:16 PM

arrow- Gold tips expedition hunters

Arrow

Gold Tip Pro hunter

Looks like something fishy is going on here. Im no one to judge cause im only a teenager and pretty new to the sport of archery. This guy can't even make up his mind on what arrows he is shooting. Gold tip expediton hunters run about 65$ a dozen and pro hunters run 100$+ a dozen. this guy needs to get his facts striaght before he can be making comments of the people that have been on this forum for so long.

But anyways LRarcher that would be some great shooting if you can do what you say you can do. Next time you shoot post somo pics or a video so we can end this stupid argument before it gets worse. Welcome to this forum but before you start saying more stuff you might regret post some pics or video, they can say alot.
Old 01-06-2009, 06:44 PM

ORIGINAL: Hick442

Arrow

Gold Tip Pro hunter

Looks like something fishy is going on here. Im no one to judge cause im only a teenager and pretty new to the sport of archery. This guy can't even make up his mind on what arrows he is shooting. Gold tip expediton hunters run about 65$ a dozen and pro hunters run 100$+ a dozen. this guy needs to get his facts striaght before he can be making comments of the people that have been on this forum for so long.

I said the pro VS expedition are the same thing. they are the SAME thing !! yet over a 50$ difference

no difference just a straightness factor of .003. I'm not going through the effort to get pics, I know I can and I do that is all I care about.
Old 01-06-2009, 08:11 PM

ORIGINAL: LRarcher

ORIGINAL: Hick442

Arrow

Gold Tip Pro hunter

I said the pro VS expedition are the same thing. they are the SAME thing !! yet over a 50$ difference

no difference just a straightness factor of .003. I'm not going through the effort to get pics, I know I can and I do that is all I care about.

Im just saying on this forum we don't brag about stuff without backing it up with pics.

Quick Reply: long range bow shooting

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.