Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

super slam question...

Old 01-06-2009, 09:56 AM

Default super slam question...

do all the animals have to be book before it's considered a slam?? or is just killing all the 28 species the super slam??
Old 01-06-2009, 09:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: super slam question...

I believe just taking all 28 species is what is considered the slam.
Old 01-06-2009, 09:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

I think you just have to kill them all.

According to the Jim Shockey commercial, making the book with all species is the ULTIMATE slam.
Old 01-06-2009, 10:12 AM
Typical Buck

Yeah, I have a Hoyt Catalog that has 3 Hoyt team members that have completed the Slam. It goes on to say that one of the members is one of 2 archers to complete the slam with all P&Y entries, but I don't know his name at this point.
Old 01-06-2009, 10:28 AM

ok so the slam is done by just taking the animals be it male/female/book or not...ultimate slam is all animals must be book...
Old 01-06-2009, 10:29 AM

i think its just taging them
Old 01-06-2009, 10:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

I will be there someday! At least I hope. I have7 different critter's with my bow thus far, a bunch to go!
- Black bear
- Mule deer
- Whitetail deer
- Culumbian Blacktail deer
- Sitka Blacktail deer
- Rosevelt Bull Elk
- Rocky Mountain Elk
Old 01-06-2009, 10:32 AM

ORIGINAL: Muliefever

I will be there someday! At least I hope. I have7 different critter's with my bow thus far, a bunch to go!
- Black bear
- Mule deer
- Whitetail deer
- Culumbian Blacktail deer
- Sitka Blacktail deer
- Rosevelt Bull Elk
- Rocky Mountain Elk
Good luck with that polar bear!
Old 01-06-2009, 10:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ya i know right! I will be included in the " NEW VERSION"

Maybe I will be up there with you someday Rob! I am going to try to get stationed up there. I do miss Kodiak!
Old 01-06-2009, 10:45 AM

Getting most of the way there isn't the problem for alot of guys, finishing it is another story all together.

Alot of hunts are in the $5-12K range, like some Elk, Musk Ox, Bears, Mtn Goat, free range bison.
Some animals are cheaper, Elk, All the Deer, Cougar, Black Bear, etc.

But then there are the big ticket animals, and usually the ones that prevent the slam. These are current 09 Pricing, if you start saving now, you can expect a very significant increase by the time you have the money together on most guys budgets.

Currently..
Stone Sheep run around $20-30K
Bighorn Sheep run around $15-25K
Dall Sheep run around $12-20K
Desert Bighorn aren't cheap either, $45K being the lowball figure and up from there
Polar Bear hunts will cost you atleast $25k when its said and done, probably more around $30k+...and to top it off, they aren't even importable back into the US anymore...So go kill one, but the bear you just paid $30,000 to kill must be left up there.

Granted if you start applying now, you have an extremely slim chance of drawing a bighorn, desert bighorn, or mtn goat tag in the lower 48, allowing you to do it yourself. This often takes 20+ years of applying for a tag, most guys do so in every state possible, and takes several thousand dollars up front, in some cases $2-3K that you won't get back each year when it is all said and done. Applying isn't cheap either in the big picture.

Just taking the animal counts, though on some of the hunts a mature male is required by law.

Im not sure, but I THINK the Ultimate Slam is more inclusive than just the 29 listed by P&Y (tule elk recently added), I think the Ultimate slam is more around 50 animals, including things like gators, javelina, and such....again not sure, but there is a slam including 50 NA animals and it is titled something like the Ultimate Slam. Most of these titles aren't official, it is just nicknames coined by the bigtime hunters out accomplishing these things, and then naming it something.

Quick Reply: super slam question...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.