Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

looking for outfitters!

Old 01-04-2009, 02:04 PM

Default looking for outfitters!

Hi I'm looking to complete a super slam with bow. And obviously I'm going to need some great outfitters to help me. If you know of any reputable outfitters for any big game species please visit my website and post it on my message board this way I will have it some where I can always get to it. Thanks a lot everyone!

Edit: Removed link as it's for profit, link is only permitted in classifieds.
Old 01-04-2009, 02:31 PM
Banned

Default RE: looking for outfitters!

ORIGINAL: superslamquest

Hi I'm looking to complete a super slam with bow. And obviously I'm going to need some great outfitters to help me. If you know of any reputable outfitters for any big game species please visit my website and post it on my message board this way I will have it some where I can always get to it. Thanks a lot everyone!

U dont need outfitters except for two species in AK..do it on your own...outfitters are for the city boys[8D]

Edit: removed link in quote.
Old 01-04-2009, 02:51 PM

ORIGINAL: hardcorehunter

U dont need outfitters except for two species in AK..do it on your own...outfitters are for the city boys[8D]
You're kidding right? You need an outfitter for a LOT of the hunts to complete a superslam.Take the sheep for example. Unless you have been applying for a while, you can start putting in for every state available, spend a few grand a year in just applying for a chance 20-30 years from now for getting tags....the only viable option for most sheep hunts is to head north and just buy them. Bighorn run around 15-25K. Stone Sheep 20-35K. Desert Bighorn down south run 40-60K. Dall sheep are the "bargain sheep" at 10-18K in AK. All those hunts require a guide. MT Goat is the same story unless you apply for decades and luck out a tag in the lower 48. Brown Bear, Grizzly Bear, and Polar Bear all require guides. Musk Ox requires a guide. Bison (if looking for free ranging) you need to hit the lotto for a tag, or pay upwards of 9-10K to head up north and hunt them free range. You can buy a farmed buffalo hunt for much less, but all are outfitted. Most Caribou species are found in Canada only, meaning outfitter required. Cougar practically require a guide unless you raise a pack of hounds back east and somehow train them then head west? Some species will be pretty darn tough to draw without buying a landowner tag....such as Tule Elk.

The deer species can be done DIY pretty easily but still take 1-4K each for the trips. Roosevelt and Rocky Mtn Elk can be done on your own. Black Bear can be done on your own. Alaska Caribou and Moose can be done on your own. Pronghorn on your own. Possibly Shiras moose, but drawing a tag is tough business.

If you are serious about doing a slam from scratch...your looking at SEVERAL hundred thousand dollars, gotta pay big bucks to run with the big dogs. It sucks but is true, a Super Slam is practically out of reach for most guys, myself included. There are cheaper alternatives such as a Representative slam, one of each type animal and not each individual species, but even this will require guided hunts and several thousand dollars. You can't expect to kill on every single trip, so repeat trips will be needed on some. Either you have a LOT of money to blow, have a very tight saving budget, or you have a too far fetched dream basically.
Old 01-04-2009, 04:30 PM
Spike

wouldn't it be great to have everybody else pay for your trips. we should all do this lol

Old 01-04-2009, 04:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yep Trevor!! You are correct! That type of hunting takes some Big $$$$$$$$ I can only dream, and there are many more like me.

Dan
Old 01-04-2009, 05:04 PM
Banned

ORIGINAL: TEmbry

You're kidding right? You need an outfitter for a LOT of the hunts to complete a superslam.Take the sheep for example. Unless you have been applying for a while, you can start putting in for every state available, spend a few grand a year in just applying for a chance 20-30 years from now for getting tags....the only viable option for most sheep hunts is to head north and just buy them. Bighorn run around 15-25K. Stone Sheep 20-35K. Desert Bighorn down south run 40-60K. Dall sheep are the "bargain sheep" at 10-18K in AK. All those hunts require a guide. MT Goat is the same story unless you apply for decades and luck out a tag in the lower 48. Brown Bear, Grizzly Bear, and Polar Bear all require guides. Musk Ox requires a guide. Bison (if looking for free ranging) you need to hit the lotto for a tag, or pay upwards of 9-10K to head up north and hunt them free range. You can buy a farmed buffalo hunt for much less, but all are outfitted. Most Caribou species are found in Canada only, meaning outfitter required. Cougar practically require a guide unless you raise a pack of hounds back east and somehow train them then head west? Some species will be pretty darn tough to draw without buying a landowner tag....such as Tule Elk.

The deer species can be done DIY pretty easily but still take 1-4K each for the trips. Roosevelt and Rocky Mtn Elk can be done on your own. Black Bear can be done on your own. Alaska Caribou and Moose can be done on your own. Pronghorn on your own. Possibly Shiras moose, but drawing a tag is tough business.

If you are serious about doing a slam from scratch...your looking at SEVERAL hundred thousand dollars, gotta pay big bucks to run with the big dogs. It sucks but is true, a Super Slam is practically out of reach for most guys, myself included. There are cheaper alternatives such as a Representative slam, one of each type animal and not each individual species, but even this will require guided hunts and several thousand dollars. You can't expect to kill on every single trip, so repeat trips will be needed on some. Either you have a LOT of money to blow, have a very tight saving budget, or you have a too far fetched dream basically.
yes I am kidding...just giving him a hard time. He was on here a while back trying to drum up $$ and Rob deleted his thread.
Old 01-04-2009, 06:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: TEmbry

yes I am kidding...just giving him a hard time. He was on here a while back trying to drum up $$ and Rob deleted his thread.
Not to mention, if you're chasing any of these animals in Canada, you MUST be guided. It'sCrown law!