Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Arrow crests

Old 04-10-2003, 10:30 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Arrow crests

I crest mine but more for appearance....doesnt really help me in finding them as much as the actual dipping does, thats helps out big time.
Old 04-11-2003, 12:44 PM

Mq thanks for the tip that seems like a huge savings on something that you only use once a year or less. Did you have to experiment with different size motors or at least different rpm or all sewing machine motors about the same? If my bohning ever goes i am going to replace it with your idea. I always had a hard time trying to figure out where they got there price for these kits but people like me still buy them.
Old 04-11-2003, 01:14 PM

Here' s a link where a guy made a cheap cresting machine using a sewing machine motor.

http://www.stickbow.com/stickbow/arrowbuilding/cresting.html

Old 04-11-2003, 01:21 PM
Typical Buck

I made mine with a drill I had hanging around the house and some old wood...cost me nothing!
Old 04-11-2003, 01:29 PM

JD,

Did you just put a field point in the chuck and then screw the arrow on? I' ve heard of people trying that before. Does the arrow spin true when you do it that way?
Old 04-11-2003, 04:21 PM
Typical Buck

yup...works like a damn. I made a little clamp instead of a v-block to hold the arrow. I basically took 2 pieces of wood, drilled holes (1/2 hole in each piece), then covered them in in fleece, used pipe hanger as the hinge and voila! You do have to strap the drill to the wood, thats easily done by using pipe hanger strapping. It' s great because I can vary the rpms too.