Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Late season fun!

Old 12-30-2008, 06:49 PM

Default Late season fun!

The last week has been a lot of fun. On the 23rd I knew of a small 50'x50' piece of standing corn that bordered a woodlot. Not sure the reason this was left standing, but with 2' of snow on the ground I figured the deer would be hitting it. I grabbed the climber headed for the woodlot. I was happy to see plenty of tracks and beds in the snow bordering the standing corn. Around 5:10 I saw two does heading my way but they hung up about 100 yards out. I fawn bawled a few times and they came trotting in. I blew a 25 yard shot by shooting just overher back.[:@] 10 minutes later I had 6 more does and fawns come in, but they came to the other side of the standing corn and out of range.

A good friend of mine received permission for him and myself to hunt a large standing corn field we had never set foot on before. The farmer had cut about 15' yards of corn around the edges. With the snow approaching 3' in this area, we decided to just sit on the ground instead of lugging the climbers in. We located a lot of tracks near a corner and decided to try something new for me. I set up 4 rows deep in the corner of the standing corn and knocked down some stalks to create shooting lanes. This was really the only choice with the wind direction. Around 5:15, does and fawns starting entering the field. I doubled lunged a doe at 20 yards and she ran 40 before piling up. Pretty exciting hunt from the ground and I had deer as close as 12 yards. The next morning brought sustained 25 mph winds with gusts up to 50. My buddy headed back around 11am to stalk the corn. He had a doe on the ground by 11:20. Wish I could have been there for that.

Tonight I headed back to the small piece of standing corn I hunted on the 23rd. I decided to sit further back from the corn in a funnel I saw the 2 does come out of before. Just after 5 pm I had 6 does and fawns enter a cut corn field about 100 yards away. They never got closer than 65 yards. They entered the field right under a hang on I used in November. Guess I know where I'll be sitting tomorrow!

2 days left in the MI seasonwhich equals2 evening sits left for me. Hoping to put another doe on the ground before it's all said and done. I realize the lack of pics violates man law. My buddy took the pics of my doe and he hasn't sent them to me yet. Weak excuse, I know.

Old 12-30-2008, 07:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Late season fun!

Way to go Matt, Congrats on the late season doe.
Old 12-30-2008, 07:19 PM
Typical Buck

congrads on the doe... iv been hunting the last 2days but the weather is warm here..
Old 12-30-2008, 07:32 PM
Super Moderator

You did really good! Wish we'd get at least a little snow to hunt on.
Old 12-30-2008, 09:02 PM

Thanks guys. The snow had melted this past weekend which was kind of a bummer. They are saying 3-4" of new snow tonight so that should help a little for the last two days.