Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Stupid Cold Bowhunting

Old 12-22-2008, 09:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Stupid Cold Bowhunting

Come on guys...I hunted on the edge of an open corn stubble field tonight...WITH BOW.....15 mph winds and 8 degrees....SILLY...I saw a doe at 360 yards...

After 1 hour I was toast...and I looked like the boy on Christmas story all wrapped up..Craziness...

Magicman is out tonight...I think he is in the woods..[:-]The Arctic Tundra of Wisc.

I have a 9 day goal...to kill another white-tail before Jan. 1st. I WILL!!!!

My wife Becky calls me a fruitcake when she sees me dressing up and heading out........women......they just don't understand[8D]I say....put some warm coffee on and I'll see you at 6:30 PM my deer.

Old 12-22-2008, 09:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Stupid Cold Bowhunting

Cold weather can be tough, but I have always done good when it is Cold. The wind is a different story though.
I killed my 1st buck, a 9 point when it was 5 below zero. Hunting temps likeI did last week in NE though was a different ball game. It tested my determination to hunt when the temps stayed below zero all day and dipped to 20 below and even lower one night.
When bad weather rolls through they may hold tight for a day, but then they'll be on the feed, and move as little as possible. IMO you are as likely to find them feeding midday as the normal early morning, late evening routine.

Dan
Old 12-23-2008, 07:02 AM

Well said MichiganWhitetails....
Old 12-23-2008, 07:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah, cold like this is extremely tough. Sometimes it's all I can do to concentrate enough to look around.

But...if I had a tag left...I'd be out after Christmas in a heart beat.
Old 12-23-2008, 08:08 AM
Fork Horn

You guys think you have it tough....I almost had to put a long sleeve shirt on over my T-shirt. It is nuts.
Old 12-23-2008, 08:14 AM
Typical Buck

As much I hate you for that comment while it's 14 outside my window, that is pretty funny ! Enjoy it man!

ORIGINAL: Snook384

You guys think you have it tough....I almost had to put a long sleeve shirt on over my T-shirt. It is nuts.
Old 12-23-2008, 08:26 AM

I admire you guys still getting out. I admit that I haven't been out since we got all this snow. If I had a hang on next to the small piece of standing corn, I would get out there. Carrying my climber 500 yards through almost 2' of snow and 3' drifts has kept me home so far.
Old 12-23-2008, 09:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

Well your not alone, im crazy to Im off for 8 days starting tomorrow, its on In my area you will NOT see a deer in broad day light in the fields, and its not even pressured much. I got to get way back in and catch em staging []
Old 12-23-2008, 09:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have till the new year to get my antlers. Been over a decade since I have got a buck. BTW -27 yesterday morn and yep I hunted. Off the ground but I hunted.
Old 12-23-2008, 09:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: MeanV2

Cold weather can be tough, but I have always done good when it is Cold. The wind is a different story though.
I killed my 1st buck, a 9 point when it was 5 below zero. Hunting temps likeI did last week in NE though was a different ball game. It tested my determination to hunt when the temps stayed below zero all day and dipped to 20 below and even lower one night.
When bad weather rolls through they may hold tight for a day, but then they'll be on the feed, and move as little as possible. IMO you are as likely to find them feeding midday as the normal early morning, late evening routine.

Dan
Dan, when I was on my way in to hunt yesterday, I saw 2 doe feeding in the middle of a grassy lane that runs through a huge thicket. It was 1:00PM.

Quick Reply: Stupid Cold Bowhunting

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.