Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Outlawed Compounds And Stickbows?

Old 04-11-2003, 07:18 AM

Default RE: Outlawed Compounds And Stickbows?

JRW, I would probably pay good cash to just come here to watch you dissect someones ramblings and idiocy.

Note to self----------Never get in a pee pee contest with JRW. His bladders extremely large.
Old 04-11-2003, 09:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

Would I still hunt in bow season if the crossbow was the only legal weapon for the season? Of course. After making selfbows, atlatls and stone slings for some years, I' ve had a hankering to try my hand at making a midaeval crossbow anyway. But I' d probably start out with a scoped Excalibur Exomag.
Old 04-11-2003, 12:06 PM

Still got my slingshot...........Go get ' em JRW.......[8D]
Old 04-11-2003, 11:37 PM

I don' t know I would hate to loose hunting time it is already too short and I don' t really like cross bows it' s a good thing that this is hypothetical my brain is starting to hurt with all this pressure

Here we go with another man-thing measuring contest
please give me prior notice about any contest now I have to do my stretching exercises twice as long to get up to par
Old 04-11-2003, 11:57 PM

Atlasman ,

Your last post bubbleth over with sarcasm!

The major flaw in your sarcasm is that everything you mentioned doing is illegal right now!
Hunting with a rifle is not illegal (in my state it is).

Bowhunting with a compound or traditional bow is currently legal everywhere that I know of.
And the question here is would you hunt with a crossbow if it wasn' t. You said no....you would sooner break the law then hunt with a crossbow.

If the fact that I love bowhunting so much that I' d do it anyway if it were made illegal scares ya , you' ll be terrified to know that theres a whole lot of other folks who would be considered poachers right along with me.

Once again you miss the point and are not following the question. We all love bowhunting. The question was would you crossbow hunt if other bows were deemed as unfit for hunting. You are answering as if someone is saying would you still hunt if hunting was outlawed. If hunting is outlawed I will be sitting right next to you in the woods buddy. As I don' t see that happening I choose to follow the rules and laws set forth to govern hunting and keep it safe and productive to hunters, land and animals. If I don' t like a law I will do my best to change it the way it should be changed........not break it because I don' t agree. If crossbows are all I can legally use then I will use one and do whatever I can to try and get compounds back on the legal equipment list.

If, for some stupid reason they did remove bows from hunting the last thing that would help is a militia attitude of " Yea, well come and get it!!!" That only re-enforces a negative stereotype that people already have of hunters and helps no one but the anti' s.
Old 04-12-2003, 12:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Fair enough! I thought I answered the question but I guess it was half an answer

Yes , I would add a crossbow to my arsenal. They are illegal here right now except for the handicapped and over 65.

Yes , I would be considered a poacher! I would continue to use my compounds and recurves also because it' s my passion. I literally have archery related thoughts in my mind at least once a day 365 days a year. I dont see it as being a threat to our sport or fuel for the antis. If it were illegal to use compounds or stickbows but legal to use crossbows , I sure as heck wouldn' t advertise that I still use my beloved compound or recurve. It would be my own business and nobody would know the difference. I would get just as much enjoyment keeping it to myself. I' m just being honest.
If my answer to this hypathetical question gets me labeled a poacher , oh well. There are much worse labels a man could wear!
Old 04-12-2003, 01:01 AM

Bow,

I never meant to imply you resembled a poacher. It was just an analogy.

I see your point and I know you mean well at heart.............I just don' t agree that' s all.

Rifles are not a legal gun to hunt with in my state right now. I really don' t want some yahoo out in the woods with a 30 06 just because he gets more personal satisfaction out of hunting with that gun. If someone gets hurt or killed by a stray rifle shot that goes who knows how far before something stops it...........that person and their family would not want to hear that the hunter was just doing it because he preferred it to a slug gun.

I confronted a hunter last year entering the woods with a rifle in our area.........I saw the barrell while eating my lunch. When I asked the guy where he was going with that gun he said " What do you care??" to which I replied " I have 2 brothers and my father in these woods retard.......that' s why I care" I told him if he entered the woods I would call the DEC and he could ask them why they care. Thankfully I saw him before he entered the woods............and thankfully our discussion never became a heated argument.

I just don' t care for people picking and choosing which laws they will obey and which ones they won' t.