Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Want to start hunting small game with bow and need help.

Old 12-22-2008, 09:19 AM
Fork Horn

Default Want to start hunting small game with bow and need help.

I want to start hunting small game with my bow. I shoot a Matthews S2. Right now I shoot Maxima Hunters with 350 shafts with blazer vanes. I've seen people shooting feathers for small game. How does that help? And, should I set up arrow with feathers. I have some blunt points to shoot. If anyone has any opinions or help for me? I don't know anyone personally who hunts small game with a bow and need help.
Old 12-22-2008, 09:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Want to start hunting small game with bow and need help.

I use feathers but for small game I might suggest using plastic vanes becaue they will be more durable. You may need the durability because the arrows/fletchings will likely contact the ground a lot more, skimming along after a miss perhaps, if you are using blunts. Judo points and something like the G5 SGH would prevent the skimming but the ground may still be a bit rough on feathers.
Old 12-22-2008, 09:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

For most small game a broadhead is still the best option. I would use some cheap broadheads or some of your old heads. Depending on what you're going after you may want to use flu-flu arrows (BIG feathers) to prevent your arrow from going too far. I'd also put a footer on your arrow. The best way to put a footer is to find an aluminum arrow that inside diameter is slightly larger than your arrow's outside diameter and slide 1'' on behind the broadhead, glue if necessary. Small game shots usually means your arrow is going to hit something hard and the footer may save your arrow. Have fun.
Old 12-22-2008, 09:43 AM
Spike

The only thing I change is the head. I use 125gr. Judo heads. They help with finding your arrows as they don't bury under grass etc. as bad.
Old 12-22-2008, 08:00 PM
Fork Horn

i shoot critters all year long. there's nothin better than ground poundin spearows, chipmunks and rabbits, etc. shoot tha same arrow setup you usefor deerhunting,target, whatever. jus use your older arrows then you dont feel so bad when you crack a rock, birdfeeder, tire rim.... and break your arrow. and make sure u get some judo's or g5's. DONT WASTE YOUR MONEY ON JUDO WANNABES THEY BREAK EASILY. ive shot thousands of times with my 4 yr old judos where as the generic ones broke within the first season. good luck
Old 12-22-2008, 08:02 PM
Fork Horn

oh yeah, and try some flu flu's they are fun as hell