Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Modifications? Lone Wolf Sit and Climb

Old 12-19-2008, 07:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Modifications? Lone Wolf Sit and Climb

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

I would not modify the straps used between both halves. I am 6 ft and have mine at the very ends of the buckle while climbing up and down.
Ditto

When you stand the entire set is rock solid. I then wrap the excess up so its not blowing in the wind.
Exactly

I was also thinking of having mine dipped in predator camo this yr. MAybe a waste of money, but I feel the stand or any stand sticks out way too much.
When Matt and Rob were here....I just hit mine with a little camo paint to break it up a little. Works fine.

Most of the suggestions I've heard are very good, except (andI'm not picking on you) GMMAT telling you to put your feet "outside" of the platform when adjusting the angle of the platform (this is not an easy move!)once you're in the air. Do NOT do it this way! You're just inviting problems doing this.Trust me, you want your feet in the same position as when you're climbing. I've done this MANY times over7 years of using this stand.
Really? Coming from someone who admits he doesn't tie off on the way up....I don't lend much credence to this. I'd like to see you contort to making the cam adjustment with your feet in the climb position (lovked in). Tell me how that works for ya. With your strpas cinched up Where can your stand go? Nowhere.

Also....be careful adding anything (tape?) to your stand that can hold scent. That's why I don't do it.

First off, what in the hell does me not being tiedoff have to do with the price of tea in China? You're starting yourcrap again Jeff, and it'll only come back to haunt you in the long run. Secondly, I have no problem at all doing that way. It's the right way. Like I said, much better control. It just takes some practice. I know you've climbed with your LW a whole 80 whatever times, and that you're an expert with the use of this stand, and I have no business second guessing you, but I've lost track of the number of times I've used it over 7 years. Anything else?
Old 12-19-2008, 07:34 AM
Dominant Buck

EI....

It's like the guy who tells me the proper way to clean his gun.....then tells me he does it while it's loaded.

I kinda thought LT might wanna consider the source, ya know?

It's like taking advice on hunting Alberta. Who would you wanna get it from? Would you lend more credence to the guy going up there shooting 160's.....or the guy taking 100" deer?

Just sounds funny when a guy saves up all year to go to the Bunny Ranch......talks it up for a solid year......

.........then goes out there and he's tickled to death to come home with a midget's phone number.

If you're climbing and not tieing off......you're cleaning that loaded gun.

But good luck to ya.
Old 12-19-2008, 08:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

I won't dignify your childishness with an answer. Just grow up buddy.
Old 12-19-2008, 08:32 AM
Typical Buck

You guys are like women too funny! Any how, I too adjust the platform with ease by my feet on the outside. I feel you can control it better that way. I am guilty of doing it without being tied off. I will try to make a conscious effort to tie off from now on.
Old 12-19-2008, 08:33 AM
Dominant Buck

EI it's not childishness (is that a word?). I'm just stating that "your way" is unsafe no matter how you do it. That's why I said consider the source.
Old 12-19-2008, 08:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

I skimmed this to catch up (I'm supposed to be working; got a report due soon! [8D])... so if I missed a response, forgive me...

LT, DO NOT cut off the excess tether straps that connect the top platform to the bottom... what you want to do is keep your two sections tethered together while you're climbing, and they give you JUST enough strap length as it is. Now I don't own a Sit N' Climb -- I've got the Hand Climber -- but on that model, they're also used to cinch the two sections together during packing. You can fold up the excess at that point and stick it beneath the bungee cord.

Cougar Mag, the way I adjust my stand while at hunting height is easy as pie. Obviously -- as Jeff mentioned -- I'm hooked up, and I sit on the top section and first put a little slack in the tether straps tying the top portion to the bottom section (I've found that I CANNOT do this if they remain cinched up as tight as I normally keep them; you'll HAVE to put a few inches of slack in them). I then hook my HEELS over the front edge of the platform and lift up, giving the traction belt going around the tree some slack. I then reach down, release the cam-lock buckle, feed the traction belt in to where it should be, and then tighten the cam-lock buckle down again. Finish up by re-cinching your tether straps down again. It's really that easy -- and a feature that I don't know if I could live without after hunting out of Summits for more than a decade.. I've heard of people using those go up a tree, then go back down to readjust, go back up, come back down to readjust, and then go back up....in one sit. But I'm not mentioning any names. Let's just say he's got a LW now.
Old 12-19-2008, 08:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

I've heard of people using those go up a tree, then go back down to readjust, go back up, come back down to readjust, and then go back up....in one sit. But I'm not mentioning any names. Let's just say he's got a LW now.
Now that I'm SURE was a SHOT!!

He's right though. With my Summit there was one tree that no matter what I did it seemed I could not get the initial angle correct and I'd come up to hunting height with the platform pointing down........, not just multiple times in one sit. (I think I climbed a total of about 110' that day! LOL) but on different days as well.
I said so many curse words I peeled a 15' section of bark off the tree with my language.

I haven't had to use the levelling trick yet with my LW but it's nice to know it's available.
Old 12-19-2008, 08:54 AM
Dominant Buck

Matt:

If you had the stirrups and the leg strength of a 12 yr old you could have altered your summit in a similar fashion!

(hell YES that was a shot!)
Old 12-19-2008, 08:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Matt:

If you had the stirrups and the leg strength of a 12 yr old you could have altered your summit in a similar fashion!

(hell YES that was a shot!)
I'd like to see a 12yr old pull it off with the Cobra Hand climber top.
Height smake me nervous to begin with.........the tether straps on the sides of the LW really make me feel OK about letting the platform loose.
The Summit would scare me to death. I would have this vision of sitting up there for hours with nothing under my feet. [:-]
(I did tie it off to the seat but it just didn't have the feeling of any real control)

Old 12-19-2008, 09:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

Matt, Greg It can also be done with the summit The only reason i dont have the LW, Is that im waiting for Tuco to make me a great deal onhis, like he did my summit But i got the feeling he will have his for ALONG TIME. On my summit, if i need to adjust, i lower the top section as close to the bottom as i can, and still be able to sit in the seat. While sittingAND tied off Illstraddle both legs around the bottom section grasp my hands around it, pull it up more, and get another bite on it between my legs. Now i can reach down, flip the locks open and readjust the cable to desired setting. Matt, i can see this not working with you on the summit, ya big sasquach [8D]>>>BAM<<<

Quick Reply: Modifications? Lone Wolf Sit and Climb

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.