Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Modifications? Lone Wolf Sit and Climb

Old 12-19-2008, 06:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Modifications? Lone Wolf Sit and Climb

1) go to www.graywolfwoolens.com and buy the neoprene backpack straps for it, and

2) take out the screws that attach the armsto the bottom platform whichcurrentlystop your bottom traction belt... flip the screws over and your belt will pass on through and it won't prohibit you from getting in smaller trees.
These will be done in short order.

2. The straps that connect the upper to the lowr are fine.
Not so sure yet that I like these. (Too long) I may just roll up or cut off the excess.

4. Make sure (when you set up) that your upper is angled "up" a little....and your platform is level. It'll make for MUCH more comfortable sits. You'll also want to experiment with differing distances between the upper and lower to know what's most comfortable for YOU.
Never had much trouble with this on any climber. I "always" puta decent angle on the top and bottom sections before climbing unless the tree does not look very tapered going up.

6. I'd suggest the LW saddle bag. For the price...it's a good deal. I carry a pruning saw, tether, haul line and bow hook in mine. I carry nothing else to stand (other than me and my bow).
I may have to try one of these, as my backpack still smells like doe pee.[:@]

The other thing I did to mine was to wrap the sitting bar in foam pipe insulation and then I wrapped the insulation in duck tape.
I had already considered this. I really do not like the shiny glare that bar puts off in the light. I will at least be applying the reusable camo hockey tape to this for sure.

I'll never figure out why someone would spend that kind of money on a stand that isn't absolutely perfect as is.
Stands are never bought "perfect". I started out with Baker and Amacker. I have used 3 different Summits. (Still like the Summits) I have not seen a stand for sale yet (including Lock-ons) that I did not modify somehow. When you find the perfect stand for less money, ($263.00 shipped)let me know. Thus my thread topic.

Thanks Guys, LT
Old 12-19-2008, 06:31 AM
Typical Buck

When you find the perfect stand for less money, ($263.00 shipped)let me know.
For a LN Sit and Climb? I'll admit, that's an outstanding price.
Old 12-19-2008, 06:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

I just started using a LW this fall. I won this bugger in a gun raffle. I haven't even thought about using my Summit anymore. I love this thing! Anyone want to buy a Summit Cobra X4?

I haven't made any mods to mine yet. But during the off-season I'm going to evaluate some things and see what I can make work better. But as others already stated, a good set of backpack straps will do wonders for comfort.

As far as the straps that connect the two peices together. IMO, they are the best configuration out there.

I may try out the net seat as well. The 08 seat isn't bad at all though.
Old 12-19-2008, 06:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

For a LN Sit and Climb? I'll admit, that's an outstanding price.
Let's just say, I was blessed.

Anyone want to buy a Summit Cobra X4?
I hear ya muzzy. I have a Summit Openshot that I will be parting with real soon. Think I will hang on to my Viper for a while and let my brother use it.

As far as the straps that connect the two peices together. IMO, they are the best configuration out there.
Oh don't get me wrong, I like the design/usage. I just think the straps are too long for me, and I will have too silence those hard plastic connectors.[:@]

LT
Old 12-19-2008, 06:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: M.Magis

I'll never figure out why someone would spend that kind of money on a stand that isn't absolutely perfect as is.
As great as the LW is, there is no "perfect" stand.
Old 12-19-2008, 06:45 AM
Typical Buck

I would not modify the straps used between both halves. I am 6 ft and have mine at the very ends of the buckle while climbing up and down. IT will prevent the mishap of losing your platform and being stranded in the tree. When at get to height I sit down lift my feet off the platform and tighten the straps. When you stand the entire set is rock solid. I then wrap the excess up so its not blowing in the wind.
I was also thinking of having mine dipped in predator camo this yr. MAybe a waste of money, but I feel the stand or any stand sticks out way too much.
Padded straps a must! I tuck tthem in the platform so they arent flapping around.
I am definitley going to flip those screws around Greg. Great idea!
I also have to change out my hardware. the damn bolts are constantly getting loose! My only gripe with the stand!
I was thinking of putting the net seat on. I am undecided though. the back padding is nice.
Footrest are a must. huge comfort increase!
I also have a big caribiner with a bungee attached to it. I put the caribiner through my packs top grab handle and hook it to the center of the platforms "v" for packing purposes. The bungee I use to strap down excess clothing while walking.
Lone wolfs customer service is great. Any problems I have had they were right on top of!
As far as my hardware concern... any suggestions?

Old 12-19-2008, 06:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

I also have to change out my hardware. the damn bolts are constantly getting loose! My only gripe with the stand!
Not sure on this, but I would definately look into it if I were you.

Footrest are a must. huge comfort increase!
I picked these up before I even received my stand. They will go on first. You can never go wrong taking the pressure off the back of your legs.

I would not modify the straps used between both halves. I am 6 ft and have mine at the very ends of the buckle while climbing up and down.
Are you using as a Sit and Climb, or as hand climber?

LT
Old 12-19-2008, 06:52 AM
Typical Buck

Im using the sit and climb

Old 12-19-2008, 06:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

Most of the suggestions I've heard are very good, except (andI'm not picking on you) GMMAT telling you to put your feet "outside" of the platform when adjusting the angle of the platform (this is not an easy move!)once you're in the air. Do NOT do it this way! You're just inviting problems doing this.Trust me, you want your feet in the same position as when you're climbing.It gives you much better control of the platform.I've done this MANY times over7 years of using this stand.
Here are a few other little, but good, idea's for your stand. First I took a flat file and filed the "gripper" (seat and platform) to give it a "no joke" grip on the tree (especially when they're wet). The platformcomes from a mold, and isn't that pointy.Second, I painted (red) the outer edge of the platform so I can tell (even in the dark) where the edge is.I also added a piece of tubing which I slit lenght wise and added it to the platform to keep the two sections from making noise against each other when packing it. As previously said, added padded backpack straps for more comfy carrying, and I use the Wolf Jaws to hold my split limb bow (Vectrix) in the bow holder.

Old 12-19-2008, 07:12 AM
Dominant Buck

I would not modify the straps used between both halves. I am 6 ft and have mine at the very ends of the buckle while climbing up and down.
Ditto

When you stand the entire set is rock solid. I then wrap the excess up so its not blowing in the wind.
Exactly

I was also thinking of having mine dipped in predator camo this yr. MAybe a waste of money, but I feel the stand or any stand sticks out way too much.
When Matt and Rob were here....I just hit mine with a little camo paint to break it up a little. Works fine.

Most of the suggestions I've heard are very good, except (andI'm not picking on you) GMMAT telling you to put your feet "outside" of the platform when adjusting the angle of the platform (this is not an easy move!)once you're in the air. Do NOT do it this way! You're just inviting problems doing this.Trust me, you want your feet in the same position as when you're climbing. I've done this MANY times over7 years of using this stand.
Really? Coming from someone who admits he doesn't tie off on the way up....I don't lend much credence to this. I'd like to see you contort to making the cam adjustment with your feet in the climb position (lovked in). Tell me how that works for ya. With your strpas cinched up Where can your stand go? Nowhere.

Also....be careful adding anything (tape?) to your stand that can hold scent. That's why I don't do it.

Quick Reply: Modifications? Lone Wolf Sit and Climb

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.