Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

New G5 Montecs for '09...I'm waiting then

Old 12-18-2008, 07:46 PM
Super Moderator

Default New G5 Montecs for '09...I'm waiting then

Was thinking of buying some more different broadheads to play around with. I've read that G5 is coming out with Montecs in a carbon steel version. Supposedly sharper out of the package, easier to sharpen, and holds an edge longer? Maybe when they get them out I'll tryem. Bought and tried some 125 Montecs this year but was unimpressed with sharpeness out of the package, and I am not great at sharpening stainless steel heads. But they flew excellent and spun true. I hear they will be all black and only in 100 grain for '09. Anyone else know of this?
Old 12-18-2008, 08:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: New G5 Montecs for '09...I'm waiting then

That will make a great selling point, as they are a good head, i always felt they were too dull and why pay that much for a dull head!
Old 12-18-2008, 08:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

Coug if you are interested in that style head but stronger and much sharper than the Montecs check out the Magnus Snuffer SS.
Lifetime warranty on the heads too.

http://www.magnusbroadheads.com/snufferss.html

Old 12-18-2008, 08:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Matt / PA

Coug if you are interested in that style head but stronger and much sharper than the Montecs check out the Magnus Snuffer SS.

Matt,

Do they tend to shoot as well???
Old 12-18-2008, 08:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Carpmaster

Matt,

I honestly don't know firsthand I've never tried them? Only going off feedback I've heard from guys who do, they say they are really tough fly great and the ones I handled out of the package were extremely sharp.

I shoot the big daddy regular version of the Snuffer from my recurve and they are much softer than the SS model.
I know if I had any use whatsoever for that style broadhead I would choose the 100gr SS over the Montec everyday.

Old 12-18-2008, 08:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

That will make a great selling point, as they are a good head, i always felt they were too dull and why pay that much for a dull head!
I have used Montecs for 3 years now. I have always used them out of the package with no extra sharpeningand never had a problem with penetration before. Every deer I have shot was a complete passthrough but one.

I currently have a head in my quiver that has shot 3 deer and all it took was a little work to get it back to shape.
Old 12-18-2008, 08:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

Matt,

I honestly don't know firsthand I've never tried them? Only going off feedback I've heard from guys who do, they say they are really tough fly great and the ones I handled out of the package were extremely sharp.

I shoot the big daddy regular version of the Snuffer from my recurve and they are much softer than the SS model.
I know if I had any use whatsoever for that style broadhead I would choose the 100gr SS over the Montec everyday.

I was looking at the the other night thinking man, Magnus makes a good head wonder how they fly? The Montecs are damn accurate but too crappy dull for me as stated prior.
Old 12-18-2008, 09:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

"5 Shot" had this to say about the head in his testing......just stealing a few quotes from the test of the Magnus Snuffer SS.

"These heads are sharp, tough as hell, very accurate, and penetrate as well or better than any head I have tested."

"There is no perfect broadhead but this one comes as close as any I have seen, and that's saying something."

He gave it an overall score of 24.093 in his testing which is VERY high. It fully penetrated plywood, a tire and both sides of a steel drum with no damage. (Not all at the same time of course. LOL)
He also said they grouped right with his field points and were still very close out of an untuned bow.

G5 Montecs came in at 21.187 points........I forget exactly how he calculates the scores but over 20 is very good with anything 23 or 24 at the very top of the charts.
Old 12-18-2008, 09:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

Great head, I have some BRAND NEW Snuffer SS in the classifieds I just listed at a fair price!
Old 12-19-2008, 04:09 AM
Dominant Buck

Matt:

THose magnus heads are $28/6 heads. Why are they not just flying off the shelves? Hell for that price I'll look at 'em. I was gonna go fixed, anyway. They're less than 1/2 price of the others.

Quick Reply: New G5 Montecs for '09...I'm waiting then

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.