Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Making my own climbing stand

Old 12-18-2008, 04:46 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 12-18-2008, 05:41 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Making my own climbing stand

It can be done HTH but keep in mind your own safety as well. I have made my own stands, all steel and hang on, for years! I started out as you have with likes and dislikes in several types and combined them to make my own. I assume you know how to weld AL. I would try to stay away from bends, as to avoid fatigue and miter the angles in. Just have a plan and draw it out. If you know a design works then use it, but modify it only for the good and safe side, manufactures spend high dollars in reserch before the market a stand to the public. As I said I have made my own for years and had only 1 failure, and that was my own fault not a mechanical failure just an oversite by me! Your NOT going to save money or time doing this, but the satifaction that you made this and it is way better than whats on the store shelf is worth it to me.
Old 12-18-2008, 05:44 PM
Super Moderator

Welding aluminum, the type you are speaking of is more than just welding, its like an art. The Lone Wolf platform is cast aluminum and I believe the rest is 6061 aluminum. It isn't cheap. Why not just take what climber you have and try to do a modification, though that will void any warranty. Good luck.
Old 12-18-2008, 05:51 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Cougar Mag

Welding aluminum, the type you are speaking of is more than just welding, its like an art. The Lone Wolf platform is cast aluminum and I believe the rest is 6061 aluminum. It isn't cheap. Why not just take what climber you have and try to do a modification, though that will void any warranty. Good luck.

X2 ...more than likely its 6061 al. i also agree with what someone else said previously... if you don't have experience welding aluminum, get someone else to do it for you that does. its a lot different than welding cold rolled or hot rolled steel.
Old 12-18-2008, 06:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

My brother has 2yrs tech school welding. I can lay near perfect uniform nickels whenI used to oxy-x. With a lil instruction and practice I think I'll be fine.

No, money is not an issue to a degree. I hate junk and will always pay much more for quality. This stand will be squeak, clunk, tingfree. I will likely lay rubber coating on it for those accidental clashings. Target weight will be 16ish pounds.

Thanks for the encouragement guys. I will keep safety by way of structural integrity first in mind. I'm a perfectionist and over-doer so likely I'll end up with a stand that can hold an elephant.

I hope to have this done by the beginning of next season. Stay tuned.
Old 12-18-2008, 06:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

If it's just for 'self satisfaction' then go for it...otherwise, today, it's a high chance it's cheaper to 'buy' the stand. Unless you're getting all the materials free.
We built our climbing sticks & stands years ago. But with the prices today for some Remington20' CS, API, Big Game, etc, AS WELL AS the CRIMINIALS who take whatever they get their hands on,to me it's almost useless to go into so much effort only to see your stands & sticks disappear to those unworthy!
I've lost quite a few of the climbing sticks I'd built and had put good time into them as well. Since the woods are no more what they used to be, I now prefer to buy the stands and sticks.

It doesn't hurt 'as much' when they're stolen.
Old 12-18-2008, 07:27 PM
Dominant Buck

I too think the platform is cast aluminum (like golf clubheads). Think of this.....if I'm not mistaken...outof all the brands of golf clubs....I think there are two places in the US that cast ALL of the heads. It's not an easy process....and it requires some pretty substantial/specializedmachinery/gear.

I think I'd shy away from the casting process and find an alternate route/method.

Ought to be interesting, Heu. Good luck.
Old 12-18-2008, 07:29 PM
Banned

Good Luck...I'll take that junk Alpha Hand climber off of ya
Old 12-19-2008, 04:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: hardcorehunter

Good Luck...I'll take that junk Alpha Hand climber off of ya
Then maybe you can find someone to throw in all the other stuff to make it useful. [:@]

Old 12-19-2008, 04:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

I too think the platform is cast aluminum (like golf clubheads). Think of this.....if I'm not mistaken...outof all the brands of golf clubs....I think there are two places in the US that cast ALL of the heads. It's not an easy process....and it requires some pretty substantial/specializedmachinery/gear.

I think I'd shy away from the casting process and find an alternate route/method.

Ought to be interesting, Heu. Good luck.
It's a small world. Got a casting plant (small willing to work with the locals) right in town. Got a welding company down the road who does the same with people. They even have a guy out back just for people who bring projects in. Really is just a matter of getting to know your neighbors and that leds to places to hunt.

Scrape yards are full of cast products and the price of scrape is way down. The wheel isalreadyinvented and speaking of wheels a tire would make a heck of a belt. Doesn't even need tread.

Really is no big deal. [8D]

Quick Reply: Making my own climbing stand

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.